23rd Season Of The Ukulele

Well, I took an extra half-hour at lunch today and I'm actually getting my entry in early for once. I apologize for the audio quality. I didn't have time to set up a proper camera and microphone so this is the stinking Microsoft life cam with it's lousy built in microphone that distorts if you look at it hard...

The uke was my Mainland mahogany soprano, strung with heavy fluorocarbon strings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtJ_ybbpr_Q&feature=youtu.be

John

Last edited:
Hmmm...I don't see your mouth or a uke...How do we know it's really you singing and playing? LOL

That's a cool video...I gotta learn how to use something besides a camera!!

Well, I took an extra half-hour at lunch today and I'm actually getting my entry in early for once. I apologize for the audio quality. I didn't have time to set up a proper camera and microphone so this is the stinking Microsoft life cam with it's lousy built in microphone that distorts if you look at it hard...

The uke was my Mainland mahogany soprano, strung with heavy fluorocarbon strings.

John

Well! That was definitely different. I liked your parody.

What was that about political correctness in the comment on U-tube? The words always struck me as pretty innocuous. Still, you never can tell these days what some people will take offence as.

Spencer the Rover

I thought I'd get mine in early as I might not have much time later this week.

A traditional English song. It seems to have been particularly popular in Yorkshire where I live.

Hmmm...I don't see your mouth or a uke...How do we know it's really you singing and playing? LOL

That's a cool video...I gotta learn how to use something besides a camera!!

Well...if I were going to cheat I'd find somebody who plays and sings better! :rofl:

I really wanted to narrow it down to just my eyes peering out the mail slot but I bobbed my head around too much as I was (yes) playing and singing the song.

John

Well! That was definitely different. I liked your parody.

What was that about political correctness in the comment on U-tube? The words always struck me as pretty innocuous. Still, you never can tell these days what some people will take offence as.

It's absolutely ridiculous over here - there is an entire industry of folks who have made "taking offense" (often as self-appointed spokespersons on behalf of others) a way of life. There have been famous cases of people losing their jobs because they made a public statement using a perfectly legitimate English word that was in no way denigrating any particular group, because it sounded similar to a racist epithet so they "should have known that people would be offended by it." The stupidist thing was those "people who might be offended by it" should have been offended by the very vocal objector's unspoken implication that they were so stupid as not to know the meaning of the innocuous word used.

John

John

What an entry John. I'm glad I can't say your lyrics fit my new neighborhood to a T. Loved the graphics. That was tons of fun! Thanks for the entry.

Very nice! Songs like that really point out what we've lost (at least on this side of the pond) with our haste and laziness and educational emphasis on expediency and technology at the cost of the arts. I was thinking about that earlier when I was working on the parody of Home on the Range. The original lyrics illustrate a vocabulary in the popular vernacular that was so much richer than what we commonly encounter today, as does your song here.

A traditional English song. It seems to have been particularly popular in Yorkshire where I live.

Lovely song Tootler, thanks for the entry. Your second song about a rover. Are you a bit of a rolling stone yourself then? I was not too long ago, working seasonal jobs, moving around a lot, satisfying my travel bug, etc.

What an entry John. I'm glad I can't say your lyrics fit my new neighborhood to a T. Loved the graphics. That was tons of fun! Thanks for the entry.

No, sir, thank you for hosting!

Not exactly my neighborhood either though many years ago I lived in an area in Southern California that wasn't terribly far from this. :)

Keeping in mind the old saying that "Home is Not Where You Live, But Where They Understand You", here's my entry. (Anything else is a Bonus Track.)

The Family Car by Lou & Peter Berryman

-Kurt​

Very nice! Songs like that really point out what we've lost (at least on this side of the pond) with our haste and laziness and educational emphasis on expediency and technology at the cost of the arts. I was thinking about that earlier when I was working on the parody of Home on the Range. The original lyrics illustrate a vocabulary in the popular vernacular that was so much richer than what we commonly encounter today, as does your song here.

Thanks and yes, I am constantly stuck by the sophistication of some of the language of traditional song. These were the songs of the common people, after all. I think that the middle and upper classes often mistook dialect for ignorance. The recordings of interviews of traditional musicians generally show that they were thoughtful and intelligent and thoroughly understood their music.

Lovely song Tootler, thanks for the entry. Your second song about a rover. Are you a bit of a rolling stone yourself then? I was not too long ago, working seasonal jobs, moving around a lot, satisfying my travel bug, etc.

Thanks. I'm not a rover now. I've been settled in Middlesbrough for over 30 years but my Dad was in the RAF, so I had a roving childhood. Both the songs are also about the prodigal returning home so fit the theme very well.

I'd never heard that but that's a great song...if a bit sobering!

John

Keeping in mind the old saying that "Home is Not Where You Live, But Where They Understand You", here's my entry. (Anything else is a Bonus Track.)

-Kurt​

-Kurt​

That song put a much needed smile on my face! Thanks for the entry. That's a great tune and yet another I've never heard. There was a short time during college when I was either living in my car or crashing on various couches around the SF Bay Area. No fun but I sure learned the value of a helping hand.

Top Bottom