Got this guitar for free, should i keep it? *PICS*

kalanz808

Reaction score
My landlord recently offered me a guitar, knowing that i play the 'ukulele quite often. I've never played guitar before, but have always wanted to someday learn. After messing around with it the past couple days, I've realized that it's going to take me a REALLY long time to grasp this instrument. So i'm debating if i should keep it or not. The guitar is an Aria Concert Guitar, Model AC 50. Anyone know anything about it? It's been sitting in it's hard case under a house for the last couple years. Seems to still be in great condition. Any help is appreciated. Mahalo!

IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_9114.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_8519.jpg

Sure - keep it. Why not? It was free. If you have the room - hold onto it and see how you feel in six months or a year.

You come on a ukulele forum, where a guitar is as welcome as an ex-wife at a bachelor party, and ask if you should keep it? :smileybounce:

Why not?
Unless it is in the way or you know someone who would love it, keep it around and see what comes of it.

If you'll play it, absolutely. Aria is respected student brand, and while I don't know this particular model, some of their guitars are quite good. If you're interested in guitar, you'll find the transition from the uke to a nylon-strong guitar quite natural. The only reason not to keep it is if it will gather dust unused, as it sounds like it has for quite some time. In that case, pay it forward and give someone else a chance to discover the joys of music.

I say keep it. Even if you only noodle around once in awhile. If you need another reason, it will be handy when guitar-playing friends come over and want to jam.

I say keep it. Even if you only noodle around once in awhile. If you need another reason, it will be handy when guitar-playing friends come over and want to jam.

I totally agree. And if by chance the right person in need comes along you can give it to them. If you have the room hang on to is until it tells you it's time to go.

I totally agree. And if by chance the right person in need comes along you can give it to them. If you have the room hang on to is until it tells you it's time to go.

Until you bring them to the uke-dark-side. I agree as well. I have a few friends that only play guitar, and it would be great to play with them without them having to lug a piece of furniture around town. I laugh to myself when I carry my soprano uke case, and someone is dragging a guitar case around.

Of course you should keep it! The uke and the guitar are almost kissing cousins, and being able to play both is great! In fact, from what I can tell, quite a few of us here on UU also pick up the six stringer now and then and appreciate it for what it is.

The more instruments, the more bettah!

Take 2 strings off it, put a capo at the 5th fret and you'll have a new Spanish ukulele!! :cool:

I have an Aria guitar (an electric - Pro II RS - It's like a Strat copy) that I have had for over 25 years. I say hang onto it, either for goofing around on it or to have if people come over to jam. I have a few guitar-playing friends and when I am playing ukulele sometimes they say, "Man, I wish I had my guitar..."
BAM! Instant jam session!

You come on a ukulele forum, where a guitar is as welcome as an ex-wife at a bachelor party, and ask if you should keep it? :smileybounce:

Is this not the guitar section of the `ukulele forum? C'mon brah. If you have no useful advice stay outta my thread. Aloha.

Mahalo Nui Loa to everyone else's serious replies. I'll keep practicing and see where I'm at in a couple months.

You ask a silly question with no genuine answers and then you bitch when someone tells you such. You need a beer, bruddah.

Don't see how my question is as silly as your sarcasm, but whatever. You still have yet to post any useful information and like I said, stay out of my thread unless you have something to contribute. Not bitch about. Brah.

dont-feed-the-troll.jpg

It only encourages them to spew more of their negative stupidity.

Regarding your original post, it's a nice looking guitar and I'd advise keeping it if you think you'd get around to playing it. It sounds like the giver gifted it thinking it was more likely to be played in your hands rather than theirs so if that's the case, you may want to honor that. It would be a tough call for me. There are two guitars in my household but since I got my uke, I've pretty much lost all interest in the guitars. I'm thinking of selling one but keeping the other around in the event I get the urge to try guitar again even though I don't see much of a chance of that happening anytime soon.

Last edited:
That's a nice guitar!

Clicky linky and scroll down to mid-page: http://portlandclassicguitar.com/aria_ac_classics.html

You should keep it if you want to learn guitar, or sell it and use the money to buy a nice ukulele.

It's win-win either way! :)
Yes, it's a nice guitar. But I would say that to take it just to sell it isn't really fair. The landlord offered it because he thought it might be used and enjoyed by the recipient. He/she could have sold it themself if all they wanted was the cash.

I'd say try it, and having a guitar around for guests is always a good idea. :)

Top Bottom