Koaloha Sceptre top sunk

I'm pretty stoked right now. I sent a detailed email to Brian at Koaloha yesterday about the Sceptre and the Pineapple Sunday and just got a message back a few minutes ago. He asked for my phone number so he could call me. He even thanked me for the support. That's what I call service above and beyond.

I'll keep you guys updated.

I am so happy for you, you made the right decision. I know I am excited to get my new PS next week. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for your new Sceptre...whether you keep it or sell it, it will be brand new.

KoAloha service and warranty are unparalleled. That is why I always recommend them as the default K brand purchase...that better than the weather is just that, and even transfers to future owners.

Keep us updated on how the repair/replacement goes. :)
Yup Staci You're absoulutely right plus they sound Great ....
@Mark...Glad things worked out well....I am happy for you...Please give us updates....Koaloha family once again and always Ichiban...

I am, in this instance, rather pleased to be able to say "I told you so".

-Kurt​

I'm pretty stoked right now. I sent a detailed email to Brian at Koaloha yesterday about the Sceptre and the Pineapple Sunday and just got a message back a few minutes ago. He asked for my phone number so he could call me. He even thanked me for the support. That's what I call service above and beyond.

I'll keep you guys updated.

I have worked in a few service companys before.

Based on that work experience, I've always been impressed with ukulele luthiers and suppliers.
They almost always have a positive customer solution.

I have the same condition (sunken sound board) on a custom uke . I had just written an email to see how the uke can be repaired. I think I'l sound sample it to see if I actually like the sound better, then I'll also take off the strings and rehydrate it so see if it heals itself.

This has been a good thread .

I have worked in a few service companys before.

Based on that work experience, I've always been impressed with ukulele luthiers and suppliers.
They almost always have a positive customer solution.

I have the same condition (sunken sound board) on a custom uke . I had just written an email to see how the uke can be repaired. I think I'l sound sample it to see if I actually like the sound better, then I'll also take off the strings and rehydrate it so see if it heals itself.

This has been a good thread .

Make sure you are talking about the same condition BEFORE you start hydrating your ukulele.
Bellying (dishing) is the area of the soundboard behind the bridge swelling, the area in front of the bridge (between the bridge and soundhole) sinking. Your action will be higher. One cause of this can be EXCESSIVE humidity, not dryness. Dryness will cause the entire sound board to shrink, your action will lower, and the ukulele will be buzzing all over the fingerboard. You will likely have sharp fret ends also as the fingerboard shrunk. Here is a good paper by Jean Larrivee about excessive/not enough humidity:

http://www.musiciansworkshop.com/humidity.html

Jimmy

How'd the NU Finish work, MArk?

Make sure you are talking about the same condition BEFORE you start hydrating your ukulele.
Bellying (dishing) is the area of the soundboard behind the bridge swelling, the area in front of the bridge (between the bridge and soundhole) sinking. Your action will be higher. One cause of this can be EXCESSIVE humidity, not dryness. Dryness will cause the entire sound board to shrink, your action will lower, and the ukulele will be buzzing all over the fingerboard. You will likely have sharp fret ends also as the fingerboard shrunk. Here is a good paper by Jean Larrivee about excessive/not enough humidity:

http://www.musiciansworkshop.com/humidity.html

Jimmy

Thanks for that link. I printed it out and tacked it to my humidor door. My condo is kept at a constant temperature regulated by a thermostat and the confidence that "free" utilities means I don't have to worry about changing the thermostat much. I put a bowl of water in the room and everytime I enter the room, it feels heavier than the colder air outside the room. I guess I'll put a few of the humidity gauges up to make sure I stay in the recommended ranges.

Well guys I thought I would update you on my Koalohas. Brian called me tonight and we talked for about 20 minutes and he was I believe the most kindest person I have ever talked with. He asked me to email pics and he would take a look. He said if there's a problem they will be replaced. I talked with him for about 20 minutes. He said pops was in the final stages of a new batch of pineapple Sunday's and was close to being done on the sceptres. While writing this he sent another email back and said he was checking out the pics and would get back to me. I am definitely a Koaloha fan for sure. Great guy.

He told me to tell Staci hello for him and he and pops and Koaloha were looking forward to meeting her. Way to go Staci I think they like you.

Way to go Koaloha!!

Last edited:
Great news, Mark. Thanks for the update.

I got my 2nd call from Brian after I sent pics. He said the problem is obvious and Papa just got a new batch of Sceptres built and to ship mine to them and he will send a new one out to me. He said he will make sure it's a nice one with nice figure in it like the one I have. He told me they will reimburse my shipping to them up to $40 and they would pay the shipping of the new one to me. He said customer service was a big deal to them and he wants everyone to be happy with their Koalohas. He is such a nice person and pleasant over the phone. No questions asked just send it back and they were more then happy to replace it. He wants his customers to be happy. He said he may have to take a visit to UU forum just to see what we are all about.
What a wonderful experience I've had with them. I want to thank everyone that recommended me to give them a call. It went from what started out as a really bad experience and I was ready to stop playing ukulele to I just can't get enough of it now. I wish I could take early retirement so I could play more.
Am I going to sell this one? No way I'm going to play the heck out of it and love it. The aloha spirit has really moved me. I'm am so happy now and I'm shipping it out tomorrow. I'll post pics when my new one arrives.

I got my 2nd call from Brian after I sent pics. He said the problem is obvious and Papa just got a new batch of Sceptres built and to ship mine to them and he will send a new one out to me. He said he will make sure it's a nice one with nice figure in it like the one I have. He told me they will reimburse my shipping to them up to $40 and they would pay the shipping of the new one to me. He said customer service was a big deal to them and he wants everyone to be happy with their Koalohas. He is such a nice person and pleasant over the phone. No questions asked just send it back and they were more then happy to replace it. He wants his customers to be happy. He said he may have to take a visit to UU forum just to see what we are all about.
What a wonderful experience I've had with them. I want to thank everyone that recommended me to give them a call. It went from what started out as a really bad experience and I was ready to stop playing ukulele to I just can't get enough of it now. I wish I could take early retirement so I could play more.
Am I going to sell this one? No way I'm going to play the heck out of it and love it. The aloha spirit has really moved me. I'm am so happy now and I'm shipping it out tomorrow. I'll post pics when my new one arrives.

It's good to hear that everything worked out for you!! Awesome!!

Yay! I am so happy for you. :) They are just so amazing. I am so glad they were able to replace your Sceptre and my Pineapple Sunday. I think that KoAloha has made us fans for life.

Top Bottom