converting from high g to low g

James Hill often uses low-G tuning (to most stunning effect on Billie Jean). Or even low-A. Iz used low-G a lot. Herb Ohta, Jr uses low-G a lot. The top players seem to be a pretty fair mix of each.

If you have adapted to re-entrant tuning to the point that you're using the G-string to do scale work, then it will take a rethink (which is my whole reasoning for avoiding low-G). If you play scales pretty much exclusively on the C, E & A strings, you should be fine.

Be aware that if you're converting tab meant for high-G, you're half defeating the point of low-G, because that tab will not be written to take advantage of the newly available low notes, and if you play notes as written in the tab, they will likely sound "wrong" (suddenly having notes an octave different than expected is odd - Stravinsky used it amongst others; it's called octave displacement).

i know james uses low more but i like most of the high g songs more like assam/like a bird although one note samba with the "drums" is pretty awesome

and i never really play scales i know some basic things but in not that into that stuff thats why i stay with high g also

No, James almost never uses linear (low 4th) tuning. He carries one uke around with low A tuning, but only because everyone want to hear Billy Jean. Everything else he does on re-entrant tuned instruments. He plays on stage with re-entrant high A and tunes down to C tuning for jams and most workshops.

No, James almost never uses linear (low 4th) tuning. He carries one uke around with low A tuning, but only because everyone want to hear Billy Jean. Everything else he does on re-entrant tuned instruments. He plays on stage with re-entrant high A and tunes down to C tuning for jams and most workshops.

From James Hill's website: "I grew up playing in D6 tuning (a, d, f#, b) with a low A string like all students of the Doane ukulele method. It wasn't until my late-teens that I started to fool around with other tunings. Nowadays I travel with four ukes: one with a high 4th string and another with a low 4th string, the Beltona slide which I tune either a, d, g, b or g, c, f, a depending on the song, and the beansprout banjo which I always have in high 4th tuning.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both low 4th string tuning (a.k.a. "linear" tuning) and high 4th string tuning (a.k.a. "re-entrant" tuning); otherwise I'd just travel with one ukulele and forget about it. Re-entrant tuning is great for vocal accompaniment, jazz chording, and campanella-style playing (à la John King). Linear tuning is better for ensemble melody picking, classroom instruction, lead picking and solo arrangements that involve moving bass lines. Different tools, same tool kit."

From James Hill's website: "I grew up playing in D6 tuning (a, d, f#, b) with a low A string like all students of the Doane ukulele method. It wasn't until my late-teens that I started to fool around with other tunings. Nowadays I travel with four ukes: one with a high 4th string and another with a low 4th string, the Beltona slide which I tune either a, d, g, b or g, c, f, a depending on the song, and the beansprout banjo which I always have in high 4th tuning.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both low 4th string tuning (a.k.a. "linear" tuning) and high 4th string tuning (a.k.a. "re-entrant" tuning); otherwise I'd just travel with one ukulele and forget about it. Re-entrant tuning is great for vocal accompaniment, jazz chording, and campanella-style playing (à la John King). Linear tuning is better for ensemble melody picking, classroom instruction, lead picking and solo arrangements that involve moving bass lines. Different tools, same tool kit."

I repeat, he almost never uses low G tune on stage today. I have seen him play so many times in the last few years. He favours re-entrant tuning.

I repeat, he almost never uses low G tune on stage today. I have seen him play so many times in the last few years. He favours re-entrant tuning.

Keep your shirt on, Ken! :) Didn't mean to cause any offence. I was just quoting from the horse's mouth. Nothing in what he says contradicts you in any way. And I THINK, reading Ukulele Yes, that he DOES still use Low-A for teaching. There was an article about the benefits of Low-A/G for teaching not THAT long ago.

I was actually a bit downhearted when I tried out Billie Jean, because I am a true blue re-entrant devotee.

Keep your shirt on, Ken! :) Didn't mean to cause any offence. I was just quoting from the horse's mouth. Nothing in what he says contradicts you in any way. And I THINK, reading Ukulele Yes, that he DOES still use Low-A for teaching. There was an article about the benefits of Low-A/G for teaching not THAT long ago.

I was actually a bit downhearted when I tried out Billie Jean, because I am a true blue re-entrant devotee.

Don't worry, my shirt is on. I'm not a pretty sight without it.

I actually talked at length with James just over a week ago about this very subject. He had some interesting things to say.

I think he includes the linear tuned uke as a viable alternative because he realises that some people love to use that tuning. I had to make the same decision with my own brand of strings. I personally, almost never use linear tuning, but I have produced a Concert and a Tenor low G set already for those that want to use this tuning.

And I THINK, reading Ukulele Yes, that he DOES still use Low-A for teaching. There was an article about the benefits of Low-A/G for teaching not THAT long ago.

You are right about this pulelehua, we do use linear tuning in James' teaching curriculum. In fact, James was handing out Aquila red low G strings last week in Vancouver because Mimmo had sent him a bunch to try. I haven't tried it yet, because it would require widening the nut slot and I don't mind a wound string. I've been using a Savarez Corum string, lately.

As someone who has played guitar a lot longer and more than ukulele, I much prefer the low G tuning for fingerstyle playing. However, I usually find it easier to read music than tabs, and I usually treat tabs as a suggested choice rather than as the required choice. Thus for me, at least, changing tabs to fit low G is rarely a problem. I'd probably be better off just to stick to one tuning, but I don't.

Top Bottom