28th Season - Are you Brittni's and Kris's favorite? Who's the next UU Idol?

Wait- one of the rules is to put the song title as the title of the video? You do know that every video posted in the US is going to get pulled in seconds right?

There are thousands of covers posted on the US with the song title as the video title that don't get pulled, or if they do it takes a while.

You can add something like this and they wouldn't bother you:

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976: allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, and teaching. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

My videos are for private practice and feedback, and I derive no income of any kind from them."

Or you can upload the video as unlisted, so that only those with the link (us) would see it. Videos get taken down only when someone reports them.

Yup, that's the tricky part and that's why I mention about the copyright disclaimers and so forth. There's many covers of the songs. I would appreciate if someone could post the best fail proof disclaimer so that people can copy and paste. Nothing is fail proof but there's tons of videos of popular songs.

I don't know if it's the best or not, but a player I'm subscribed to, who had his original channel taken down due to several copyright infringements, uses the one I just posted on his new channel. He's had it for over a year, reposted all the videos from his old channel, and hasn't had a problem since.

Great challenge. Spent the morning listening to the top twenty or so. Quite a few fun songs in there. Whee!

got my song picked and already learning the intro at 00.45 AM but i bet someone else is gonna do it and will blow me out the water lol :)

Dave, it's all about the Emotional Factor and you bring out the emotions out of all of us!!

Videos get taken down only when someone reports them.
It is my understanding that Content ID and verification is software driven, not based on complaints. It literally takes them seconds to flag material (especially popular material). More on that here
Just seems silly to invite that kind of scrutiny- you know, a disclaimer you wrote means absolutely nothing to the RIAA or the fine folks that brought you DMCA

They may say it's software driven, but seeing how many videos stay up I tend to doubt that.

About the disclaimers, this guy reposted everything he had on his original channel and makes new videos of copyrighted songs. The only difference, other than his channel name, is he added the disclaimer. I've heard of other people who appealed the decision to take down some of their videos saying they were uploading the songs under fair use and they were reinstated. The disclaimer does mean a lot. They don't want it to mean anything to them, they will do whatever they can to take you down and will do if you don't know the rights you do have, but if you show you do know the protection you have, there's nothing they can do. After all, what the law aims to prevent is someone making a profit from material not owned by them, or keeping the copyright holders from making their profit. I doubt a chance to win a t-shirt can be seen as profit, or that any teenage girl would not buy Justin Bieber's latest single because they already saw you playing it.

And anyway, as I said, you can always list them as private. Those don't get taken down. Believe me, I've seen private videos that violate Youtube rules in much worse ways....

For me, this will probably be the toughest challenge of all. But I'll give it a shot, see what happens.

One possible way of avoiding the copyright patrol might be to make the video unlisted instead of public. Of course, if you're going for a million views, that won't work as well. :)

I'm going to have to text my teenage niece for help on this one..

Brittni Was a great judge for the Hawaiian challenge of the original six seasons- very good to have her back.

Yeah, and I asked John if I could use that exact phrasing, and he told me to go ahead -"After all, I didn't copyright it."

So I use it myself, and haven't had a problem.

-Kurt​

You can add something like this and they wouldn't bother you:

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976: allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, and teaching. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

My videos are for private practice and feedback, and I derive no income of any kind from them."

I don't know if it's the best or not, but a player I'm subscribed to, who had his original channel taken down due to several copyright infringements, uses the one I just posted on his new channel. He's had it for over a year, reposted all the videos from his old channel, and hasn't had a problem since.

Last edited:
For me, this will probably be the toughest challenge of all. But I'll give it a shot, see what happens.

One possible way of avoiding the copyright patrol might be to make the video unlisted instead of public. Of course, if you're going for a million views, that won't work as well. :)
Also, I'm not sure if this helps but if I'm worried about possible copyright patrol action I simply name my movie 28th Season or whatever and after it's approved and up I edit the title to the name of the song. I also post it in People and Blogs instead of Music. So far it's always worked...

I have not heard one from this list (we don't have the same charts here) and I'm just a picker. So week off for me (but I posted so much for the 27th...)
See you later !

Sad to hear as picking always work. Jake, Kris, Brittni, pick their songs and don't sing! I'm sure if this goes 52 weeks, there will be a few weeks where we are clueless but let's all try! It's not about just winning but being able to adapt and learn. It's fun!

Last edited:
Brittni Was a great judge for the Hawaiian challenge of the original six seasons- very good to have her back.

I did not know that. That is cool that she is coming back. I only started on River Week and have been hooked ever since. Most weeks I struggle but I'm determined to go all the way to Week 52!!

Sad to hear as picking always work. Jake, Kris, Brittni, pick their songs and don't sing! I'm sure if this goes 52 weeks, there will be a few weeks where we are clueless but let's all try! It's not about just winning but being able to adapt and learn. It's fun!
Yes of course I can pick songs (and I could try to sing too...) but the chart list is chinese for me... ;-) No song I even know. Anyway Ill be back next week to job, so perhaps for another season, and I'll learn a lot I'm sure listening to this one.

Top Bottom