What's the yellow hash mark on Utube vids?

coolkayaker1

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBMhjF5zaMg

Like this one, in the playbar at the bottom, the red is where it's playing currently, the gray is what is streamed, but what's the yellow mark at 09 seconds? I think every youtube video has it.

I think it's where an advert would be if the video had one.

...oops, let's all post at the same time...

Last edited:
Weird. I just looked at it again, and yellow mark at 09 secs, every time I click it. And I do see, the ad starts right there. Must be a regional thing.

Thanks for the 'splainin'. But, seriously, why would they need a yellow mark when the ad starts. My television doesn't glow bright orange when it starts an advertisement.

Is there a reason for it to show where the ad starts?

Nah, seriously, I think it probably is the point when a view counts as a view. On ad supported videos, where the uploader gets paid, they don't count every person that ends up in the video page as a view, they rule out people that were mislead to click on it by a trick title or thumbnail, and one of the ways to do it is by not counting the people that only watched the first seconds of the video. That is why views usually gets stuck at 310 views for a while, that's when they really start looking at the views in detail.

Top Bottom