Kala ubass tuners

SKBarbour

Reaction score
I'm new to the fornum here and have enjoyed looking through for info. I'm not very familiar with ukuleles but have built a few guitars. When I saw the ubass I decided to try to build one to my own specs. I have not started building yet I'm still planning things out. The one thing I can't seem to source out are the tuners that are used on the ubass. Does anyone have a source for these? Seems they have to be available somewhere but I've had no luck. Roadtoad music lists them on thier parts page but have not been able to order them through the web site. I also e-mailed them but have not had a response yet. Largesound also sells tuners but I think they are more for the ashbory 4 on one side design and I prefer the traditional uke 2 left 2 right look for this instrument. If anyone has input into compensting for the ubass strings I would appreciate that as well. Thanks for any and all replies.

I've built one Bass uke, and am at present working on the second. Should be finished sometime over the weekend. As far as tuners are concerned, I couldn't source them, so had to think a little outside the box! The first used standard Bass tuners, but they really don't work that well. New solution will be revealed next week (if it works well) and seems pretty simple to me! ;)

Just turn a large barrel that can be slipped on over standard tuner posts and then set in place with a lock/set screw. Cross drill. You may have to shorten the original tuner posts so they don't go up through where you're going to thread the string through. Aluminum round bar stock would work, too, and then you'd just have to drill for the post, drill for a set screw, drill for the string. Could be done with no more than a hack saw and a drill. For slick, though, use a lathe and then get them anodized.

Thanks for the replies. Rick that sounds like a good idea and if I can't come up with something I will do some expierimenting.

The first set of tuners I got were from Owen at Road Toad. I didn't have any problem ordering, and getting a response to the question about compensation for the strings.

Here is his response to my inquiry.
Hi Allen,

Compensation should be around 1/8” at the G (3.2mm) and about 1/4" at the E (6.4mm) when using about a 20” scale. You can experiment with the saddle height, but I use a string height of about 4mm to 4.5mm at the 12th fret.

As far as sourcing the tuners now, I went straight to the source at Hipshot. Not an option for the hobby builder though.

Allen, do you set the strings with equal centre lines or do you adjust the spacing to give equal gaps between the strings?

Ian

Allen, thanks for the input on compensation. Thats very helpful. I'm guessing this has worked well for you? As far as tuners go, I guess I might be able to order them through my local shop who sells Kala. Is Owen still selling these items through Roadtoad?Thanks again.

Allen, do you set the strings with equal centre lines or do you adjust the spacing to give equal gaps between the strings?

Ian

You have to adjust the nut slots to give equal spacing between strings rather than centres as the strings vary so much in diameter that it's going to look and most likely play dog ugly if you don't.

I've only ever ordered the first set of tuners from Owen, but I just had a look at his web site and see that only the ones with the spool head are on offer. Others out of stock it says. I got the spool head ones from him as well as Hipshot as I quite like the look.

Yes, those are the tuners I want but it no longer has the Paypal buy now button next to them as is said it would in the paragraph above the pic. Would love to order the tuners and strings from him but can't quite figure out how.

Some builders are reaming them out to enlarge.

This was my workaround. Seemed simple enough to me, once I thought of it. The strings are attached to the tuners with tiny cable ties, available anywhere in white or black! :)

bass headstock.jpg
Ian

Hooray! Just ordered my tuners from Owen at Roadtoad. This was the one part I was worried about getting. They are a little pricey but I like the look of these over the ashbory tuners. I do have another question for those of you who might have a Ubass. What are the dimensions on the bridge? Standard bridge blanks are sold around 1 1/2" x 6". I wasn't sure if the 1 1/2" was enough, they look rather large, but that could be the small uke body fooling me, I'm use to looking at guitars. Thanks for the help.

While I understand the visual logic of equal spacing between strings, from a player's perspective, equal spacing on center makes more sense for fingering. I now use the StewMac proportional ruler for a lot of this kind of spacing; it's kind of a compromise between the two extremes. I also love Ken's spacing device for standard ukes where there is just not that great a difference in string diameter to make a big deal out of it all.

I think I read somewhere that somebody used a 7mm spacing between the strings and it was very comfortable. I'm not sure how far in from the sides would be a suitable distance. I'm thinking an 1/8" might be fine but with the thicker strings maybe just a tad more. I want to check some measurements on an actual Ubass for a few things, I hope the local music shop doesn't mind me measuring a few things. HAHA.

Adapting tuners for ubass strings.

I'm new here and am building a bass uke for my wife using a cigar box as the body. I ordered some of the cheap bass tuners and hope to be able to use them with the Pahoehoe strings. One member here posted a photo of a workaround using zip ties, but I can not get the photo to open. Any advice on making"standard" bass tuners work with the fat strings would be appreciated. I am not able to do anything fancy, like lathe a part.
Thank you for your help, Bruce

Top Bottom