30th season of the ukulele: Theme - gardens

Multi-tracks allowed? Wow. The seasons have certainly entered a new season. Next thing you'll be telling me there's no Santa Claus... :p

Van Morrison cover (sorry Van) - In The Garden

This one is not polished.
Only had a chance for one take early this morning.

If somebody actually has learned this song and maybe even can sing, it's fair game, have at it, please.

Couldn't resist having a go myself though, since it's my favorite song by Van, and I recorded it on the spot I was married 35 years ago tomorrow.

This is more an experiment in audio and video for me.
I used my MacBook with a PreSonus Firebox interface running phantom power 25 feet to a Behringer large diaphragm condensor mic.
I'm happy with the sound, just not the execution, but 12 more takes wouldn't have gained me much ground, I just don't know the song well.

The video was captured on my macbook internal camera, which is obviously crap at long focus shots, need to come up with a better solution or stick to close-ups.
Also my first pass at 16:9 widescreen video,

So take it with a huge pinch of salt, you have created a monster by your kind words of encouragement to a newcomer, thank you one and all.

Last edited:
Seems fine to me, Thats what the seasons is all about participating and joining in. Each song I try is an experiment, I try new things everytime, I think your voice and playing works well. Look forward to more.
Drew.

Love me some Dave's on the season...beautiful rendition, and congrats on the Anniversary of your nuptials. I got a special gal I have not been married to not as long, but man she sure is special. This is gold mate-totally dig it
Bless up- that Dave from Cloverdale

If somebody actually has learned this song and maybe even can sing, it's fair game, have at it, please.

Couldn't resist having a go myself though, since it's my favorite song by Van, and I recorded it on the spot I was married 35 years ago tomorrow.

I used my MacBook with a PreSonus Firebox interface running phantom power 25 feet to a Behringer large diaphragm condensor mic.
I'm happy with the sound, just not the execution, but 12 more takes wouldn't have gained me much ground, I just don't know the song well.

The video was captured on my macbook internal camera, which is obviously crap at long focus shots, need to come up with a better solution or stick to close-ups.

So take it with a huge pinch of salt, you have created a monster by your kind words of encouragement to a newcomer, thank you one and all.

Got my song picked out but gonna have a hard time playing in garden or park due to work...maybe Saturday unless I get lucky and get off work a little early!

What a beautiful place! And a great garden song- can't go wrong with Van Morrison. Congrats on your anniversary:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njQ5w9IPu-w

That sounded just fine. Great singing and playing and great location.

Congratulations on your anniversary, by the way.

Hi all,
This is not my entry, but a bonus track, as it was filmed in my garden this summer when meeting with some friends, we had an ukulele session around the sheep in the garden.
All people here are members of ukulele.fr, some are members of UU too ;-)
I'll post my entry later in the week...

Bonus Track (this is the music from a TV show in France in the '80 called 30 millions d'amis (30 millions of friends) about animals.)

Hi all,
This is not my entry, but a bonus track, as it was filmed in my garden this summer when meeting with some friends, we had an ukulele session around the sheep in the garden.

Bonus Track (this is the music from a TV show in France in the '80 called 30 millions d'amis (30 millions of friends) about animals.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doM4Xl0EElY

Brââ-ââ-ââ-ââ-ââ-ââ-vo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njQ5w9IPu-w

What a fantastic looking place... such diversity of plants, and as if on que when you sung

The olden summer breeze was blowin'

that big plant on the left of the picture did a dance in the breeze ... talk about serendipity :)
Great choice of song. Can't beat a bit of Van the Man.

VIdeo response approved and added to the playlist.

Last edited:
Hi all,

That was quite surreal, but it looked like you had a captive audience right up to the end
when somebody (Nosey Diva) started doing dog impersonations. I must also congratulate
Ginger on her immaculate dress sense... polka-dot dress and gumboots has never been more
attractive.

Great outside footage and the ukulele show band were real tight in their playing.
You should take that show on the road and for merchandise you could market
the nose flute and the kiss-o-matic. That would be a great combination.

Hi all,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doM4Xl0EElY

Great fun bonus track with not very attentive audience. Must try harder.

Loved the outdoor location.

Written in 1972 by Carl Martin (of Martin Bogan and Armstrong) and covered by Steve Goodman.
http://youtu.be/0drW_vPxluY

Never heard that song before but I tried to count the number of vegetables mentioned.
I think I got 12 all together. You have a fine big garden there. I can just imagine the amount
of work that went into all that planting.

Song was played with exuberance, and was a joy to watch. You shimmied when the song
called for shimmying

Added to the playlist... but if you could still add it as a video response the the intro
video that would be great.

Thanks Rob.

My husband gave me Pink Martini's album "Hang On, Little Tomato" when I was in a very tough time in 2005, and this title song from it has profound meaning for me.
I could be vocalist China Forbes only in the Bizarro World, but I'm really happy to have learned this song.

(The dog barking proves I didn't build a garden stage set inside my house for recording.)

Last edited:
thanks for another great week Rob. This purgative goes out to Jim with love... :p

thanks for another great week Rob. This purgative goes out to Jim with love... :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UANDOCLZLi8

I think you have gone a long way to redeeming this song.
Even faced the wrath of Jim. Excellent as ever, and gone
is the heavy over-coat to be replaced by a T-shirt. I often
forget that the seasons are reversed in the southern hemisphere.
Up north we are winding down, and down under you are just
beginning to rev up.

What is that bush in blossom behind you. It looks very exotic.

Top Bottom