"The One"

I don't think I have enough money to continue buying in my search for the "one",if it even exist. My kamaka is the one that I say I would keep if I only could have one. But some days it just doesn't work for me and I pick up my red cedar Mainland and it makes me so happy. The next day the red cedar sounds brash but the mahogany concert in low g is heaven. I think for me I may have found the "three" since my finances can not justify purchasing a $1000 ukulele.

I agree with those who've pointed out that different ukuleles serve different purposes. I have a Kamaka tenor I use to play Hawaiian music, a Mya-Moe myrtle tenor I generally use for popular music, and Kamaka and Mya-Moe baritones that I play when I want the lower voice of a baritone. For each of these various purposes there may be a "one" - an ukulele I prefer over others - and I do interchange (I've used my Kamaka for popular music, for example), but since I don't have just one purpose. Or maybe I just haven't found the single ukulele that I would play regardless of the purpose.

Yes, I have "the one". It's my Moore Bettah. It's all I want -- and need.

I believe in becoming one with my ukulele.

Am waiting for my time in the sun and the holy grail Moore Bettah Uke.
Unfortunately it's a long wait time. So until them am contenting myself
with what is here now.

:agree: Couldnt have said it better, I dont really have the whole UAS thing. I would like to get a banjo uke someday (there is a no name old cheapo one at the junk store in town Im considering) but thats about it. As far as one uke to play all the time Im happy with what I have, and like said above I think youre a better musician when you make a special connection with one instrument. Maybe Im just blessed however to have made that connection with the first uke I got.

Andrew at HMS messed up my ukulele life by allowing me to buy the Kamaka Long Neck Tenor he recently received. That Kamaka is in a class by itself - simply amazing and unbelievable. I can't imagine a uke could sound any better. Yeah, #1, easily...

I have 4 custom ukes on order right now..and just got 2 delivered in the last 3 months..My Eric Devine Koa tenor ready in the middle of 2014..by then i should hopefully be a better player and be worthy of it..i have been taking lessons and will keep on doing so>> Eric's uke motivates me to practice daily..i don't know if it is The One..but i am having fun waiting for The One! lol

I too thought I had the one with my Koaloha concert sceptre. I have fallen out of love with it. Strong like but no longer the love. I know this sounds odd but it is too bright for my tastes now. I have been considering moving up to a tenor for a deeper mellow tone.

I don't know that any uke can be the one for me, although I know that if I had a certain few I would probably lose the taste for more.

I will say though that there is one that I'll never get rid of, even if it someday explodes in my hands, and that's my Johnny Marvin. It isn't worth much money anymore to a collector, but as an instrument it is a stunning storyteller. Every time I pick it up something new pours out. It feels alive when I strum it, the whole body vibrates and feels like it's always on the cusp of singing itself to pieces. I always feel incredibly fortunate to have come across it.

Plus it just looks majestic with all of the wear and tear it's acquired over the last 84 years:

P8230026.jpg

I don't know that any uke can be the one for me, although I know that if I had a certain few I would probably lose the taste for more.

I will say though that there is one that I'll never get rid of, even if it someday explodes in my hands, and that's my Johnny Marvin. It isn't worth much money anymore to a collector, but as an instrument it is a stunning storyteller. Every time I pick it up something new pours out. It feels alive when I strum it, the whole body vibrates and feels like it's always on the cusp of singing itself to pieces. I always feel incredibly fortunate to have come across it.

Plus it just looks majestic with all of the wear and tear it's acquired over the last 84 years:

P8230026.jpg

I have a Maui Music tenor built in 1998..that is just like your uke..it is ready to explode also Lol..the top is very thin and it is the lightest ukulele i have seen..and it has a radiused fretboard..sounds so good..i could not sell it for a lot of money but i wouldn't anyway...i just got to be careful with it..

Top Bottom