Kamaka VS Collings - not fair - different planet

Aloha, Stan! I can enjoy almost any uke too; it makes me happy, really happy. I appreciate a really well made great sounding ukulele and I also respond to those unassuming gems which, apart from imperfections sparkle with personality.

Yeah, Jon - the only disappointing thing about the Collings ukes I've played are the strings. I don't dislike Aquila strings at all, they are great on some ukuleles, but on the Collings...well, I wanted to rip them off and put on some fluorocarbons. I didn't do that, but when the store clerk at the first place I saw them wasn't looking, I did stick my hand inside and felt around the bracing. As I've been building ukuleles, I was really invested in scrutinizing the construction of the Collings ukes and, like I (and the OP) opined, they really have all the details covered.

Most people hate the stock strings Kamaka uses. They are certainly unique, and if one is listening for volume and sustain, they are bound to disappoint. Honestly, though, they are starting to grow on me. They were fantastic with low G on that Ohta san. I think they probably fall into the same category as the Pyramid strings Bruko uses - they don't sound like other strings. So, if you start out with expectations that you should compare them to other strings, you probably won't like them.

Hey Howard, I found that flourocarbons on the Collings give the uke more air to breath. Better note clarity and sweeter sustain...kind of like like loosening your belt buckle a couple of notches! :)

Just last week I went to a shop local to me that carries Kamaka, Collings, Martin, KoAloha and Ko'olau. They also carry Ohana, Flukes, Fleas, National resophonic, Kala, Cordoba, etc... But, since I'm always on the lookout for something that blows me away, I looked at the Collings ukes and picked up a Kamaka baritone. My past impression of the Kamaka brand was that I didn't prefer the tenor over my KoAloha tenor, yet I thought it was a very nice uke. I was incredibly impressed with the Kamaka pineapples. Best pineapple ukes I had ever played. Crystal clear and sweet sounding. I didn't even mind the stock strings. The Kamaka baritone was really nice, too. But I don't know if I wouldn't get something different in that price point. Last week I played 5 different Collings ukes, 2 were concert sized and 3 were tenor, I think. They all felt great in my hands and were beautifully finished. They sounded nice, but only one of them sounded close to what I get out of either of my Mya Moe ukes. And, I was trying to really compare to them because I've been toying with the idea of getting another Mya Moe, but wanted to check out some other makers first. The one that sounded the best was a UT3-K. I also played a Martin 2 Tenor. It was very clear and loud, but didn't sound as sweet as the Collings ukes, but the price wasn't terrible, imo. Oh, and I wasn't as impressed with the Ko'olau concert as I thought I would be. My blemished Pono concert sounded and felt very similar to it and it cost me $150. To be fair, these were very quick impressions and I know if I had more time, some of these impressions would change.
Where?.......

Aloha, Stan! I can enjoy almost any uke too; it makes me happy, really happy. I appreciate a really well made great sounding ukulele and I also respond to those unassuming gems which, apart from imperfections sparkle with personality.

Aloha Howie and Jonny,
Uke sound is foremost...but overall enjoyment is too.. saying that, price does not equate to fun and enjoyment.....I have a couple factory asian made ukes that I enjoy best of all..really made
me think hard and tears came down, I got two favorites and love them to death....if I had to thin down to a few, those are my keepers....even over my expensive customs and premimum ukes :)..fo real..

Last edited:
I am pleased that this conversation has remained civil. Other forums would have erupted into fire and brimstone on the first page of replies.

I don't have much experience with Kamaka, but the Collings ukuleles that I have played were truly great playing instruments - and I agree with the OP regarding the Collings fit and finish. I was considering purchasing one from Music Emporium, but I decided to build one (although my schedule has made it slow going.)

The OP is talking of finish so I agree with that Collings look nicer. Sound is subjective so no comments there.

WOW..it is hard to believe you guys are going after Kamaka now>>they have been around for almost 100 years..but i guess that is not good enough Lol...
i have a whole bunch of high priced really beautiful custom and production ukuleles and i somtimes think to myself they sound really really good..but is it because i paid alot of money for them?do i really need AAAA/AAAAA grade koa?or is it because i have the money to spend..(i am not a good player either..) or is it because they are in short supply and high demand..at the end of the day it should be the sound quality not looks(beauty)

i have an older Maui Music uke(1998) it has a dished top..no curly koa and a really dark color..it is ready to blow up if i dont take care of it..i am lucky if i could sell it for 400/500 dollars..>>but it sounds so good..i would not let it go..

i do have a Kamaka HF3 special..i guess i was one of the lucky ones..it sounds Great and i cant see any flaws in the construction..the finish not as nice as my Graziano..but that is how they make um..if you wanted a Kamaka with a great finish..try getting a Jake model..(i think they send it out to finish to Addam Stark in Santa Cruz..that is where Tony Graziano has his ukes finished..

Last edited:
I compare ukes to significant others, here's my analogy...ha ha like that was not done before...I mean what is looks if it ain't got the sound you like to hear and feel good at the same time...hee hee

Last edited:
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Just last week I went to a shop local to me that carries Kamaka, Collings, Martin, KoAloha and Ko'olau. They also carry Ohana, Flukes, Fleas, National resophonic, Kala, Cordoba, etc... But, since I'm always on the lookout for something that blows me away, I looked at the Collings ukes and picked up a Kamaka baritone. My past impression of the Kamaka brand was that I didn't prefer the tenor over my KoAloha tenor, yet I thought it was a very nice uke. I was incredibly impressed with the Kamaka pineapples. Best pineapple ukes I had ever played. Crystal clear and sweet sounding. I didn't even mind the stock strings. The Kamaka baritone was really nice, too. But I don't know if I wouldn't get something different in that price point. Last week I played 5 different Collings ukes, 2 were concert sized and 3 were tenor, I think. They all felt great in my hands and were beautifully finished. They sounded nice, but only one of them sounded close to what I get out of either of my Mya Moe ukes. And, I was trying to really compare to them because I've been toying with the idea of getting another Mya Moe, but wanted to check out some other makers first. The one that sounded the best was a UT3-K. I also played a Martin 2 Tenor. It was very clear and loud, but didn't sound as sweet as the Collings ukes, but the price wasn't terrible, imo. Oh, and I wasn't as impressed with the Ko'olau concert as I thought I would be. My blemished Pono concert sounded and felt very similar to it and it cost me $150. To be fair, these were very quick impressions and I know if I had more time, some of these impressions would change.

WOW..it is hard to believe you guys are going after Kamaka now>>they have been around for almost 100 years..but i guess that is not good enough Lol...

I don't see this thread so much as "going after Kamaka" - it's more stressing the importance of trying before you buy, as didgeridoo2 described above.

Not all that long ago there were a couple of people here who bought new Kamakas, sight unseen, and had to return them due to blemishes or other quality control issues. It happens. One of the Kamakas I bought and recently sold had a blemish in the finish (which the original seller on eBay never disclosed to *me* but I certainly did to my buyer!). It wasn't a ding; it clearly came from the factory that way.

The thing is - I don't care about looks really if the sound is great. I've had a really similar experience to didgeridoo2 (we shop at the same music shop) - when you have the opportunity to play a whole mess of ukes side by side, inconsistencies in sound stand out. I'm sure the same can be said for inconsistencies in appearance as well, but generally I'm so oblivious to this that I'd never notice.

I realize that not everybody has the option of testing out as many ukes as possible in person before buying, but really - if you can, do it.

i have a whole bunch of high priced really beautiful custom and production ukuleles and i somtimes think to myself they sound really really good..but is it because i paid alot of money for them?do i really need AAAA/AAAAA grade koa?or is it because i have the money to spend..(i am not a good player either..) or is it because they are in short supply and high demand..at the end of the day it should be the sound quality not looks(beauty)

i have an older Maui Music uke(1998) it has a dished top..no curly koa and a really dark color..it is ready to blow up if i dont take care of it..i am lucky if i could sell it for 400/500 dollars..>>but it sounds so good..i would not let it go..

i do have a Kamaka HF3 special..i guess i was one of the lucky ones..it sounds Great and i cant see any flaws in the construction..the finish not as nice as my Graziano..but that is how they make um..if you wanted a Kamaka with a great finish..try getting a Jake model..(i think they send it out to finish to Addam Stark in Santa Cruz..that is where Tony Graziano has his ukes finished..

I am certainly not casting disparity at Kamaka. I owned a kamaka pineapple previously and will be buying a tenor soon. I entered the Jake lottery and wasn't picked. I love good discussions about high end and custom ukes. I think most have plus and minuses as being discussed civilly. I hope I can get a few nice ukes without excessive testing. Not everyone can afford to buy large quantities of high end ukes. I value the shared opinions of the collective wisdom.

I am certainly not casting disparity at Kamaka. I owned a kamaka pineapple previously and will be buying a tenor soon. I entered the Jake lottery and wasn't picked. I love good discussions about high end and custom ukes. I think most have plus and minuses as being discussed civilly. I hope I can get a few nice ukes without excessive testing. Not everyone can afford to buy large quantities of high end ukes. I value the shared opinions of the collective wisdom.

try ordering a HF3 special from Tekla at the Kamaka factory they make these a little bit different then the other production ukes....that is what i did..it is perfect sound/construction

Last edited:
try ordering a HF3 special from Tekla at the Kamaka factory they make these a little bit different then the other production ukes....that is what i did..it is perfect sound/construction

Thanks I appreciate the advice will do. Is this the standard semi-custom order or ask for Tekla in particular. Didn't know if he was a luthier there.

Thanks I appreciate the advice will do. Is this the standard semi-custom order or ask for Tekla in particular.

ask for Tekla tell her Len in Calif(Bay area) sent you..HF3 special..is special order it might take 2/3 months after you place the order..you can ask for some options AAA/AAAA curly koa..a rosette headplate wood..ebony fretboard/bridge..she will help you out..when i made my order they were out of AAAA koa..but the AAA is pretty nice..

sorry Tekla is Kamaka sales team leader..i guess you could ask for Casey Kamaka he is the lead builder there..but Tekla is who you speak to make an order

Last edited:
Hey Howard, I found that flourocarbons on the Collings give the uke more air to breath. Better note clarity and sweeter sustain...kind of like like loosening your belt buckle a couple of notches! :)

You're such a nerd, Jon!

As the OP it is great to see this discussion didn't descend into trashing - that was certainly not my intention. Very interesting discussion. One point - while much admiration and gratitude is owed Kamaka for their long dedication and high quality over many years, the same can be said for Gibson and Martin - and as has happened to those other fine companies from time to time, there is the possibility that Kamaka may going through a period of gettin' it done a bit too hurriedly in order meet demand. I don't know from experience because I've never played any of their older instruments (although I've heard reports that they were "better") - and I've only played three recent tenors, no more (one of the three didn't even warrant a second try). But I remember very clearly some of the sub-par instruments that Gibson and Martin made in the late 70's before they woke up and realized they were drifting away from their quality standards (although in the case of Martin and Gibson there were sound and design problems as much or more than detail issues). Just a little more attention to detail and consistency - maybe training - could make a big difference.

And - it is a different planet issue - not so much side by side comparison. They are born of different traditions, and that's cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom