Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Advice please: Ukulele or Guitalele?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12

    Default Advice please: Ukulele or Guitalele?

    Hello

    I come here with absolutely no musical knowledge. I played the guitar for about a year when I was younger but I think it's safe to assume that I remember nothing from that

    I'm currently doing a year abroad from uni and I've wanted to pick up a ukulele for a while so thought now would be a good time. I live in a flat and I'm out pretty much 8am-6pm on weekdays which means that I can't really order anything online because I won't be in to receive it, meaning I'm going to have to settle for whatever I can get in my local music store

    So I popped in the other day to have a look around and now I need help making a decision

    From looking at youtube videos, I like the sound of a concert ukulele and from holding one in the store I also prefer the size of it to a soprano. However, the cheapest one they had there was an Ibanez which was 100 euros. Having no musical knowledge and not being 100% that I'll actually enjoy it, I don't feel like spending that much.

    So if I was to get a ukulele I would get a Stagg soprano which they have for 40 euros. However, they had the yamaha guitalele for 75 euros which really caught my eye.

    I'd really love to get the guitalele, however from looking online I haven't been able to find much info about them and I'm worried that it would be too hard for me to self teach it? Would you go about learning it like you would a guitar and so use guitar websites to learn?

    Maybe I should just get a ukulele for now and then maybe in the future look at getting a guitalele or a guitar.

    Any input will be greatly appreciated. Looking to buy one of them early this week I think

    Thanks,
    Ian

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    111

    Default

    My best suggestion would be to try them out, and go with the one that makes you happiest.

    http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/...italele-tuning

    http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...ight=guitalele
    Last edited by Dwjkerr; 09-23-2012 at 04:37 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    5,280

    Default

    IMHO, you should get the ukulele. I think the guitalele is an interesting neither-fish-nor-fowl instrument, and I own one (the Yamaha), but you will find infinitely many more instructional resources for the ukulele. As always, here's the disclaimer: just my opinion! Let us know what you decide, and show us pictures (we love pictures).
    Kathryn

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwjkerr View Post
    My best suggestion would be to try them out, and go with the one that makes you happiest.

    http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/...italele-tuning

    http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...ight=guitalele
    Quote Originally Posted by kvehe View Post
    IMHO, you should get the ukulele. I think the guitalele is an interesting neither-fish-nor-fowl instrument, and I own one (the Yamaha), but you will find infinitely many more instructional resources for the ukulele. As always, here's the disclaimer: just my opinion! Let us know what you decide, and show us pictures (we love pictures).

    That's the thing, I think I prefer the guitalele but there are just so many more resources for the ukulele that I think it may be a better idea to start off with that

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    5,280

    Default

    Hah hah, we're no help, are we? Maybe more people will chime in and tip the scale one way or the other!
    Kathryn

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Breda, The Netherlands
    Posts
    984

    Default

    I'd go for a uke. With only a year of guitar under your belt, the ukulele probably has a quicker result
    For you. But don't buy a crappy 40 euro uke. Where are you based?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/wetigersukesongs
    http://www.facebook.com/wetigersukesongs

    Ken Timms Style O (Soprano)
    Covered Bridge custom built Redwood & Myrtle (concert)
    Covered Bridge mahogany and curly koa pineapple (concert)
    Kanile'a K1 deluxe (concert)
    Brüko no.16 (baritone)
    Kala UBASS

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,591

    Default

    I guess the real question is do you want to play guitar or uke. You said you played the guitar for only a year. Why did you stop?
    If you are looking for a portable instrument, the concert uke is much more portable than the guitarlele.
    If you choose a guitarlele, you can learn from guitar sites, but your result will be in a different key. You can get strings that do the standard guitar tuning, but that sized instrument sounds better tuned higher. Will you be playing with other people? That might be a consideration. It will be tricky to transpose to their key.
    My suggestion, for a great small portable instrument, I love the uke.
    If you want to go with a guitar, a parlor or small guitar might be more satisfying. A guitarlele will confuse you.

    I play guitar and uke, and for the last 3 years the uke has gotten 98% of my play time. I have a guitarlele, and it doesn't get that much playing time.

    Lori

    UkeLeash.com Ukulele Half-Strap, non-destructive ukulele support, no glue, hooks, or strap button required
    Ukulele Gifts! Ukulele Jewelry, Banjo Uke straps, Guitar Style Straps, Circle of Fifths guides

    Westside Ukulele Ensemble

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by we tigers View Post
    I'd go for a uke. With only a year of guitar under your belt, the ukulele probably has a quicker result
    For you. But don't buy a crappy 40 euro uke. Where are you based?
    About 40 minutes outside of Antwerp, Belgium. The thing is, I do just want a cheap on, at least for now. Then I can upgrade later once I know I enjoy it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post
    I guess the real question is do you want to play guitar or uke. You said you played the guitar for only a year. Why did you stop?
    If you are looking for a portable instrument, the concert uke is much more portable than the guitarlele.
    If you choose a guitarlele, you can learn from guitar sites, but your result will be in a different key. You can get strings that do the standard guitar tuning, but that sized instrument sounds better tuned higher. Will you be playing with other people? That might be a consideration. It will be tricky to transpose to their key.
    My suggestion, for a great small portable instrument, I love the uke.
    If you want to go with a guitar, a parlor or small guitar might be more satisfying. A guitarlele will confuse you.

    I play guitar and uke, and for the last 3 years the uke has gotten 98% of my play time. I have a guitarlele, and it doesn't get that much playing time.

    Lori
    I was learning back in school, so when I went to high school I just didn't carry on really.
    I'm not looking for an ultra portable instrument, just portable enough to fit in the car when I go home at the end of the year
    I don't have any plans to be playing with people I don't think.

    Your post has made me learn more towards a uke now. Now if only there was a cheaper concert I could get then my decision would be made

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    617

    Default

    I play both guitar and uke. I don't have a guitalele, but I have a Tacoma Papoose which is similar to the Guitalele but with steel strings.

    From what you describe you really should just get a uke. There must be a better source than your local music store. I don't think either the Stagg soprano or Ibanez concert is a good choice. Almost anything from Kala, Lanikai, Ohana, or Cordoba would be much better as it would be a "real" uke and at least have decent intonation.

    As others have said the Guitalele instruments are neither fish nor fowl. They can be fun, but there are limited instructional resources, they require that you have some musical knowledge to be able to transpose in many cases. They are also harder to play. One of the things that is fun about the ukulele is that it is pretty easy to master technically. With only four strings and only four fingers there is less to work with but less to get in the way. You can concentrate on the music rather than the technicalities of the instrument. You'll make faster progress which is more encouraging.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katysax View Post
    I play both guitar and uke. I don't have a guitalele, but I have a Tacoma Papoose which is similar to the Guitalele but with steel strings.

    From what you describe you really should just get a uke. There must be a better source than your local music store. I don't think either the Stagg soprano or Ibanez concert is a good choice. Almost anything from Kala, Lanikai, Ohana, or Cordoba would be much better as it would be a "real" uke and at least have decent intonation.

    As others have said the Guitalele instruments are neither fish nor fowl. They can be fun, but there are limited instructional resources, they require that you have some musical knowledge to be able to transpose in many cases. They are also harder to play. One of the things that is fun about the ukulele is that it is pretty easy to master technically. With only four strings and only four fingers there is less to work with but less to get in the way. You can concentrate on the music rather than the technicalities of the instrument. You'll make faster progress which is more encouraging.
    Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm swayed to the ukulele now

    There was another local music shop that had less ukuleles but I do remember they had one by Ohana that was 50 euros. Do you think that would be a better choice then?

    The only other option would be to go into antwerp to look around, but I wouldn't be able to go for 2 weeks and I'm too impatient

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Top 50 Ukulele Sites