Advice please: Ukulele or Guitalele?

Not sure about anything in Belgium. There are two small stores in Rotterdam (one of them: www.ukulele.nl/paradijs)
Good stores in Germany: www.ukulele.de
Manuakeaukulele.nl

France: musique83.fr Exquisite.fr

Can't you have things delivered at work?

Thank you for those websites.

I really can't decide what to do now. I don't think I'll order online because I haven't been able to find out whether I'd have to pay extra to receive the item and I don't want to turn up at the post office and have to pay loads.

But on the other hand the Makala concert uke on the german site is tempting me...

Think I may just have to go with the Ohana and then get a better one at the end of the year.

EDIT: Oh and I don't think I'd be able to get it sent to work. Not sure how I'd even go about it. It's a big company, can't imagine they'd appreciated everyone getting parcels sent there. But I'll ask around in work tomorrow and see.

You will love the ukulele. It's fun and fanciful. Buy the best one you can afford. If you buy a cheapie, you will quickly want to upgrade. Why waste your money? Have fun.

Not sure about anything in Belgium. There are two small stores in Rotterdam (one of them: www.ukulele.nl/paradijs)
Good stores in Germany: www.ukulele.de
Manuakeaukulele.nl

France: musique83.fr Exquisite.fr

Can't you have things delivered at work?

It's maunakeaukulele.de DE! I ordered my pineapple from Jan there, and he was awesome. He even called immediately because I put in the wrong zip code!

A fellow Member in the Berlin Uke Group has also opened an online-only store. ukumele.de
And Leleland (Berlin's Local Ukulele shop) now has a (limited) online presence: http://leleland.com/online-shop

If it is sent within the EU, then you don't have to pay customs fees, by the way, only if you order from the US, which would explain the high fees that expats get when they show up at the post office. Or, even worse, they have to go down to the local postal customs office and get in line there.

If it is sent within the EU, then you don't have to pay customs fees, by the way, only if you order from the US, which would explain the high fees that expats get when they show up at the post office. Or, even worse, they have to go down to the local postal customs office and get in line there.

Oh okay, that makes more sense :)

I think I may just go ahead and get the Ohana SK-10S from my local store. Seems a hell of a lot easier and I've been reading around and it seems like a pretty decent uke for a beginner. And the price also seems to be near enough the same that I would pay for it online so that's good too :D

What everyone said :agree:

Except I'd get the cheapo at first to see if you like it, then once you know more about ukuleles only then upgrade to a Ohana or similar brand. Ohanas are great and they're definitely one of the brands you should look into later. But what if you decide you prefer tenors or baritones, after playing a concert for a few months, and you've already bought your good uke? Then you'd need to get another uke and it quickly gets expensive. Take your time to choose carefully, there are so many different ukes which fit people in different ways. Meanwhile start learning on a cheap Stagg, which you can always keep around later as a beater or give away to a friend. I'd say it minimizes your investments in the long run. Just make sure to have it set-up so it's easier to play it.

Another thing about guitaleles: the Yamahas are ok but not amazing, and when you'll want to upgrade there's not as many options available as for ukuleles. Ukes are way more varied. And versatile!

What everyone said :agree:

Except I'd get the cheapo at first to see if you like it, then once you know more about ukuleles only then upgrade to a Ohana or similar brand. Ohanas are great and they're definitely one of the brands you should look into later. But what if you decide you prefer tenors or baritones, after playing a concert for a few months, and you've already bought your good uke? Then you'd need to get another uke and it quickly gets expensive. Take your time to choose carefully, there are so many different ukes which fit people in different ways. Meanwhile start learning on a cheap Stagg, which you can always keep around later as a beater or give away to a friend. I'd say it minimizes your investments in the long run. Just make sure to have it set-up so it's easier to play it.

Another thing about guitaleles: the Yamahas are ok but not amazing, and when you'll want to upgrade there's not as many options available as for ukuleles. Ukes are way more varied. And versatile!

Thanks for your advice :) The thing is the Ohana is only 10 euros more than the Stagg here so thought it would be worth going for the Ohana? :)

Thanks for your advice :) The thing is the Ohana is only 10 euros more than the Stagg here so thought it would be worth going for the Ohana? :)

Oh yes! Defo! Haha :) I missed that part where the Ohana was so cheap!

Okay, so the guy last time told me the wrong price :rolleyes:

The Ohana was actually 67 euros.But I couldn't stop myself from getting it anyway :p

So currently attempting to learn ukulele...
It's not going very well but I love it :)
My fingers don't seem to enjoy it as much as I do though...

Okay, so the guy last time told me the wrong price :rolleyes:

The Ohana was actually 67 euros.But I couldn't stop myself from getting it anyway :p

So currently attempting to learn ukulele...
It's not going very well but I love it :)
My fingers don't seem to enjoy it as much as I do though...

Congrats! Did the guy set the uke up before selling it to you? If your fingers hurt, the action might be too high and need to get lowered

I have an Ohana SK 10. Don't play it much but it's a perfectly good uke. An excellent starter uke.

It cost me £50GB so 67 Euros is about the right price.

Enjoy it.

Top Bottom