Ideas for a more challenging season?

I think what I will do from now on is go ahead and finish the video when I have time. If the season if over for that week, I'll finish it and post it on the Video and Links forum. It seems a shame to waste all that time practicing a song only to run out of time at the end of the week. Problem solved!

Also, there won't be any rules so anything goes. Multi-tracking sounds like it might be something I want to try. I really like the entries with multi-tracking. It adds another dimension to the music. I'm also thinking about writing my own songs and a week is just too short for me to accomplish that. So posting on the Video and Links forum would work much better giving me all the time I need to explore that path.

Perhaps the beginners could post on the Video and Links forum and not worry about the week time limit and the pressure? Just a thought. Also, if someone does your song that you put so much time into practicing, post it over there.:D

Last edited:
One of the things I like about the seasons (besides the community and camaraderie) is the variety of the challenges. Sometimes it's one-takes only, sometimes we can multi-track. Sometimes the theme is based on the subject of the lyrics, sometimes the songs have to come from a certain genre and/or period. (I even heard a rumor that season 34 will be about the musical structure of the song.) Sometimes the host picks the winners, sometimes it's random, sometimes we vote. It's all good.
So while I'm in favor of giving the host a wide berth in setting the parameters for that week (after all, they did step up and volunteer,) I'd be against making things too difficult. Inclusivity is one of the great things we got going on here, and so far we've managed to make room for all skill levels. I'd like to keep it that way myself.

Of course, nothing's stopping anybody from running their own contest independent of the seasons. After all, this is the "UU Contests" forum, not the "Seasons of the Ukulele" Forum. We don't have to be the only game in town.

I totally agree J-peg. I almost dropped out during the original six seasons because I'm not as a player or singer as most of the competitors. But I decided to keep going because everyone was so positive and supportive and thought the original six seasons prize was pretty sweet and I knew I had no chance of winning, I felt included. Since then I feel I've gotten a little better but most of all I've had such a positive experience because of the inclusive spirit of the seasons.

I do enjoy the weekly challenges but I don't always have time every week to really work on a song. There have been many UU contests outside of the seasons which have run for a month or even longer. I love those contests as well because it gives everyone a good long time to put something together. So what J-peg said is right, if anyone wants to run a contest outside the seasons but on the UU forum, go for it. You'll probably get a lot of us coming right along with you.

Yeah...a week can be challenging even to those of us with no shame. :) I had started working up a multi-track for season 32 but all I got "on tape" was the drum track before time ran out. I'd planned on laying down UBASS, uke, melodica and vocal tracks but just ran out of time - and it's a song I know and have recorded before!

I'm working on an instrumental for week 33 now and I think I'm going to make it in time but only Sunday evening will tell for sure. :) I could bang out a quick and easy rhythm and vocal thing for week 33 but there's not much challenge in that...I've decided I really want to improve my pickin' and for that I'm just going to have to suck it up and spend some time in the shed!

John

that is exactly right.

Okay, I see, that's what confused me.:confused: In order to have a handicap, you have to have a score and I wasn't associating skill level with a score. What I was thinking is that everyone would have to place themselves in whatever skill level they feel comfortable with. But, then the problem with that is that there may be a bunch of sand baggers whether it be intentional or not. Some people may be really good but, their modesty may only let them place themselves in the beginning category. Probably not a good idea. :uhoh:

It seems like the general consensus is to not make it more challenging.

OldePhart said:
I'm working on an instrumental for week 33 now and I think I'm going to make it in time but only Sunday evening will tell for sure. I could bang out a quick and easy rhythm and vocal thing for week 33 but there's not much challenge in that...I've decided I really want to improve my pickin' and for that I'm just going to have to suck it up and spend some time in the shed!

It seems like the general consensus is to not make it more challenging.

As John points out, above, Gary, the challenge is what you make it. If you are a beginner and want to challenge yourself, try going up the neck for some chord inversions. Intermediate players can try interesting arrangements. Advanced players can try making the song "their own". Everyone has something to work on, and a way in which to challenge oneself.

If what you really want is to see people of the same skill level duke it out, you could, as a host, assign seeds to various players and set up a tournament style contest. One of the original seasons was basically structured like this - I think it was Academy Award week. The seeds were not explicit, but players of approximately matched skill were pitted head to head, and then final points were awarded after the head to head match up. But in a way, I feel, personally that the Seasons have evolved beyond this to be a challenge more than a competition.

As for me, I still get pretty competitive... With myself. The week limit is a big challenge for me as I progress because, as a professional actor, I am used to much more time to get something up to scratch. As a musician, I am always trying to push myself to be a better player and to put out something that is as polished as possible, and the week limit, with playing being (sadly) a secondary pursuit, time-wise, can make that difficult. But I am a MUCH better player today than I was when the Seasons started in February. And I owe a large part of that to this weekly push. And in the end, for me, that's what it's about: becoming a better player by sharing music with friends whenever I can.

As John points out, above, Gary, the challenge is what you make it. If you are a beginner and want to challenge yourself, try going up the neck for some chord inversions. Intermediate players can try interesting arrangements. Advanced players can try making the song "their own". Everyone has something to work on, and a way in which to challenge oneself.
I agree, and these are great ideas! Thanks for sharing..... :D

If what you really want is to see people of the same skill level duke it out, you could, as a host, assign seeds to various players and set up a tournament style contest. One of the original seasons was basically structured like this - I think it was Academy Award week. The seeds were not explicit, but players of approximately matched skill were pitted head to head, and then final points were awarded after the head to head match up. But in a way, I feel, personally that the Seasons have evolved beyond this to be a challenge more than a competition.

As for me, I still get pretty competitive... With myself. The week limit is a big challenge for me as I progress because, as a professional actor, I am used to much more time to get something up to scratch. As a musician, I am always trying to push myself to be a better player and to put out something that is as polished as possible, and the week limit, with playing being (sadly) a secondary pursuit, time-wise, can make that difficult. But I am a MUCH better player today than I was when the Seasons started in February. And I owe a large part of that to this weekly push. And in the end, for me, that's what it's about: becoming a better player by sharing music with friends whenever I can.

First of all, I need to apologize mattydee for not making myself very clear. Writing is not my strong point. I'm not saying that the Seasons of the Ukulele needs to be changed. I'm just trying to empathize with some of the individuals that are giving reasons for not participating. Intimidation seems to be the biggest reason. I was just throwing out ideas and thinking out load. I remember someone saying that it would be nice to increase participation but, perhaps what we have now is all we are going to get.

Personally, I don't care that it's a competition and if I don't have something ready in a week, then I don't post. I can always post in the Video and Links forum if I run out of time. That's my solution.

Anyway, the original post was about making it more challenging and I'm not saying I agree with that. From the reaction that it got, I would say that participation would probably drop. Just my opinion.:D

Terrific thread. It's great to see so many Seasonistas put some thought into what makes the Seasons so great.

For me, the best Seasons challenge everyone's creativity, leaving each individual Seasonista to decide how much to challenge her or his ability, and the very best Seasons challenge us in some unexpected way.

Over the past few months, I've learned more about music, languages, history, and playing my uke than I ever could have on my own. Viva las Seasonistas.

I think I've participated in 16 or 17 seasons, and it has challenged me enormously, perhaps more challenging than anything else in my entire uke experience. I've learned songs I probably never would have learned, I've dusted off old friends, and I know I've stretched myself in ways I would not have anticipated. This week I tackled a song I've been wanting to learn, and this gave the perfect excuse. I found a piano arrangement with guitar chords, and worked it out for uke, it wasn't until Wednesday night that I was finally off book. I got a decent take on Saturday, and then went back and counted how many chord positions I had used. 30. Now I realize why this minute and a half song was such a challenge. And I probably wouldn't have tried it without season 35.

Top Bottom