Mya Moe curly redwood ukes?

jackwhale

Reaction score
I ordered a Mya Moe curly redwood baritone [#851] and it will be completed in three weeks. After a lot of discussion about tone, Char suggested the curly redwood from their supply. She felt it is somewhat 'crisper' than the usual redwood and not quite so bright as a spruce top ukulele.

I'm wondering if anyone on UU has a curly redwood topped uke from Mya Moe. If so, what are your impressions?

I can hardly wait for the uke to arrive.

Attachments

• redwood top.jpg
    redwood top.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 127
  • walnut back.jpg
    walnut back.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
In don't have one and have never played one but I sure like the looks of them! Beautiful!

Tiger stripes!!!

Just noticed you're in Concord! My dad and brother live in Pleasant Hill. Small world.

Sorry to have no actual information. Redwood is usually described as dark in sound, probably much more like cedar than spruce, I would guess.

I can't comment on the MyaMoe redwood, but the redwood uke I have has a sound somewhere between cedar and spruce. It's got some of the warmth of cedar and all those great overtones but it has a great deal of the punchiness of spruce.

The fact that they are saying that it's sounding crisper than typical redwood leads me to believe that it will have the punchy spruce quality in abundance.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing it when it's all done!

Thanks for all the replies. I'm hoping this is the last uke I will ever need or want. Hah!!

jamiefromontario: thanks for the reply. it is always difficult to find the words to describe the sound of a uke, but your description is exactly what I am hoping for. 'Punchy' is a good word to go along with 'warmth'.

pulelehua: Yes. Concord and Pleasant Hill are right next to each other....one can drive from one to the other and not know one is in a different town.

OK. THis might be the Mya-Moe uke that makes me drink the Mya-Moe kool-aid:) I love redwood and I currently own a Mele with redwood top. I may have to sell a kidney on the black market to get me a Curly Redwood top Mya-Moe tenor before the stock runs out:) WOWZERS!!

That IS a beautiful uke. The color and grain certainly do come alive when the finish is added. I see you have a twin spot pickup. I really debated about whether to add a pickup...then debated about which pickup before deciding on a misi.

Last edited:
Hi, Jackwhale.

I saw a video with "sinker" redwood played and reviewed by Mr. Middleton. Sinker redwood, as he explains, is bogwood, and likely similar to the texture and tone of the Mya Moe you are getting.

My research shows what others have said about redwood...and that we need to be careful to humidify it as it has a tendency to crack along the wood lines. And scratches and dents, like its close relative, cedar. But, based on my past ukes, nothing beats cedar soundboards. Nothing.

I'll let you know when it gets here (even though I have already added it to my signature...lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn9wLXbN8gY

CK: Thanks for the clip. I think Ken is able to make nearly any uke sound good but if my redwood top sounds like that, I'll be a very happy camper. It's also beautiful with the slotted headstock.

And speaking of beautiful, I had 'Pohaku envy' when that very special Deco left Peter's shop. I always took five to play your uke when I stopped by to see progress on my Pohaku. That's definitely one that got away. Peter is a magician.

CK:
And speaking of beautiful, I had 'Pohaku envy' when that very special Deco left Peter's shop. I always took five to play your uke when I stopped by to see progress on my Pohaku. That's definitely one that got away. Peter is a magician.

Jackwhale, that's awesome that some of your mojo is on my Art Deco Baritone. I have to say, it's the prettiest uke that I have ever owned. And it plays sweetly, too. Some ukes we will never trade or sell...that's one for me. You're so lucky to live where you can go to Peter's shop and play and see them. He emailed me that he's got another "batch" coming shortly, concert 10 and regular concert and pearwood & koa tenor and, yes, the legendary Steampunk, only this time in C10 version!

View attachment 43453

Here's my Dave Talsma Curly Redwood topped tenor. I love it. Koa back and sides. Ebony fingerboard. 1.5" nut.

Gerald, I have seen a ton of your vids on UTube lately, including lessons #1-3 on closed chord (which really was a breakthough for my playing--huge! Thanks!). Your "Hits" CD mp3 is excellent, too. Anyhow, you make that ukulele sing. (I saw your entire collection on the 3 Questions vid, nice!).

Gerald: What a beautiful uke. I think there's going to be a run on curly redwood. I live in an 80 yo solid redwood craftsman cottage in a small redwood grove, so I'm surrounded by redwood. And our house is in the middle of an old walnut orchard. So this is my 'woods of California' uke.
Thank goodness this California sentimentality didn't get in the way of what will be a great sounding combination of woods.

I really enjoyed the two classes I took from you on Saturday at Wine Country. (I'm the fellow who grew up in AA and graduated from hs with Dick Dieterle.) It was a big step forward in learning the kind of music I enjoy playing.

Last edited:
Jackwhale, that is a beautiful wood set and will be stunning once the finish goes on. I predict it will sound amazing too.

jackwhate & coolkayer1 --- thanks for all the good words. If we ever meet up at a future uke fest and I have my Talsma uke in tow you are free to give it a try!

GBR

Top Bottom