Good ukes for my price range?

bmelo

Reaction score
I've been playing for almost three years now, and my Mitchell MU-100, which was my first, is not in the best shape right now :( I'd say I'm an intermediate player, and I was looking for a new acoustic concert in the price range of around $250, if not slightly more. Any suggestions on specific brands and models? I was looking at mainland and kala for now, but if there are any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Islander is another possibility in this price range, either laminate or solids for the top end of the range.

Mainland, Mainland, Mainland! You can't go wrong. Or maybe, Ohana?

Another vote for Mainland! I also am a big Pono fan but they are probably a bit higher in price. Ohana are very well made too.

You should be able to find a Pono, Ohana, Islander, or the new Koalana concert in that price range. All are quality built.

Congratulations on your decision. I have no experience with spruce ukes. I have had a couple mainland mahogany concerts and sopranos and my red cedar and each of them have been great! Great sound, great set up, playability and sustain. You can't go wrong.
Spruce should be bright. Some prefer spruce, others not so much.

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to go with the mainland, specifically this one:

http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=76&categoryId=3

If anyone has any personal use with this instrument and could tell me some pros and cons of it, that would be really great as well =)

Spruce ukes are fantastic. I have a Moku select solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides that is simply wonderful in its bright tone and
ringing sustain. You'll love the Mainland solid spruce, solid mahogany uke you purchased. Great choice. Enjoy.

Spruce ukes are fantastic. I have a Moku select solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides that is simply wonderful in its bright tone and
ringing sustain. You'll love the Mainland solid spruce, solid mahogany uke you purchased. Great choice. Enjoy.

Sorry, I forgot the "cons" in your purchase choice. My answer - none ! Every uke has its purpose and is to be fully enjoyed as such.

"Should" be brighter than your average Mainland, which is fairly bright for a mahogany instrument.. As long as you are ok with bright, you will be happy. I have mellow ukes, I have bright ones, I like them all, but am especially fond of bright, chimey ones that are also sweet. That Mainland should be a honey.

Top Bottom