One Uke Option (Maybe the Pono MS?) looking for suggestions/comments

Romanista77

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

In the summer I purchased a Koaloha Soprano and love it. Previously I only played a Pono Mahogany Tenor.
After switching back and forth I definitely enjoy playing the soprano more (Likely because of my tiny hands. No idea how I ever used to manage a guitar...)
I'm a minimalist and am happier with less stuff and prefer to have one uke.
The problem with the Koaloha is that it doesn't have enough frets. Some of the stuff I play goes up to the 15th fret.

So I'm going to sell both and I'm in the market for a new uke.

So far I'm looking at the Pono MS Mahogany Soprano at Hawaii Music Supply. http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-ms-mahogany-soprano-ukulele.html

I figure because it'll be the only uke I have; I'll go all out and pay the extra $100 for the passive pickup.

I'm not sure about the finish. I've never played anything with a satin finish. Do any of you find it affects the sound much?

I'd love to get advice/suggestions from all of you!

*I should probably add that I also prefer friction tuners. Not sure why, but it seems like more and more sopranos are being made with geared tuners. I find it makes it way too top heavy. For me it also just doesn't look right.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I know people like Pono tenors, but I've read very few comments about Pono sopranos (or concerts for that matter).
Of the few I've read about, people found them heavy and over-built.
I've got a new Martin S1 mahogany soprano and am really happy with it. With careful shopping, you could get one for not much more than the Pono (PM me if you want info where I got mine).
Here is a nice comparison of the new Martins.

...oh, and you shouldn't hear any difference in sound between gloss or matte finish.
BTW - have you ever played a soprano with a cord coming out it? Unlike a tenor, I find it *very* uncomfortable due to weird balance issues. Something to consider if you haven't.

I forgot to mention....if you like the KoAloha, and want mahogany, how about the new Koalanas? Best of both worlds. I have a Pono mahogany concert that I love and I'm always looking for the perfect mahogany tenor too as mine's Koa.

It is something I looked at.
Personally, I'd like to stick with the small size of a soprano with a standard neck.
I'm also not totally sold on Koa, but maybe. I really like the sound of Mahogany. I've also never heard a Cedar uke in person, but I really like the sound of cedar guitars.

How about a Sailor Brand cedar soprano. Made in America, 14 frets to the body, 19 overall. Mike will upgrade anything you want. I have a Sailor six string and love it. I played the cedar soprano last year and it wad awesome.

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/sailor-brand-cedar-eucalyptus-soprano

I can't say if the Pono MS is the uke for you, but I wanted to mention that I have a Koaloha Pineapple Soprano and the Pono MS and the scale of the Pono is a tad smaller than my Koaloha. I don't have a tape measure anymore so I can't tell you the exact difference but eyeballing it appears to be between 0.5 and 1.0 inch. It's not that big of a difference, but if I'm hanging out higher on the fretboard, the Pono does feel more cramped to me than the Koaloha.

Your idea sounds great to me. I'd recommend looking into Kiwaya's soprano ukes as well.

I have a KS-0P thin body pineapple soprano. It has terrific intonation, a wonderfully shaped neck, perfectly dressed frets, and a great sound. Playing it is an absolute pleasure. I'm not sure which of Kiwaya's models meet your 15-fret requirement---the KS-0P does---but a little investigation can't hurt.

When you're on the quest for "the one", it's a good idea to think of the first few weeks or months with a new instrument as "dating" rather than "marriage". Even if your next uke is nice, it might not be "the one". Remember you can always sell that uke and keep "dating". Your special uke will find you someday. Enjoy the journey!

I know people like Pono tenors, but I've read very few comments about Pono sopranos (or concerts for that matter).
Of the few I've read about, people found them heavy and over-built.

Good to know.
My only experience is with a Pono Tenor that blew me away when I got it.
The thing I like best about my current Koaloha Soprano is how light it is.

BTW - have you ever played a soprano with a cord coming out it? Unlike a tenor, I find it *very* uncomfortable due to weird balance issues. Something to consider if you haven't.

No, I've only played a Tenor plugged in.
It's not something I do often, but if I only have one uke; I like having the option.
Good to know though.

if you like the KoAloha, and want mahogany, how about the new Koalanas? Best of both worlds.

I do like the KoAlanas.
My only issue with them is that they don't go as high as the 15th fret without going 'long neck'.
I know that's being picky, but I'm looking for that one perfect uke :)

How about a Sailor Brand cedar soprano. Made in America, 14 frets to the body, 19 overall. Mike will upgrade anything you want. I have a Sailor six string and love it. I played the cedar soprano last year and it wad awesome.

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/sailor-brand-cedar-eucalyptus-soprano

It's actually one of the first I was considering.
I don't know much about Sailor Brand, but I like how much you can customize it.
They all seem to be long neck though... Might be worth a phone call to see what they can do.

I can't say if the Pono MS is the uke for you, but I wanted to mention that I have a Koaloha Pineapple Soprano and the Pono MS and the scale of the Pono is a tad smaller than my Koaloha. I don't have a tape measure anymore so I can't tell you the exact difference but eyeballing it appears to be between 0.5 and 1.0 inch. It's not that big of a difference, but if I'm hanging out higher on the fretboard, the Pono does feel more cramped to me than the Koaloha.

Good to know.
One of the reasons I thought about going only soprano is how easy it is to play on the higher Koaloha frets. Before I tried it, I thought I'd be a problem.
I'm definitely starting to think something other than the Pono would be better.

Your idea sounds great to me. I'd recommend looking into Kiwaya's soprano ukes as well.

I have a KS-0P thin body pineapple soprano. It has terrific intonation, a wonderfully shaped neck, perfectly dressed frets, and a great sound. Playing it is an absolute pleasure. I'm not sure which of Kiwaya's models meet your 15-fret requirement---the KS-0P does---but a little investigation can't hurt.

When you're on the quest for "the one", it's a good idea to think of the first few weeks or months with a new instrument as "dating" rather than "marriage". Even if your next uke is nice, it might not be "the one". Remember you can always sell that uke and keep "dating". Your special uke will find you someday. Enjoy the journey!

Thanks!
I like the dating analogy.
I was tempted to buy the Pono right away. It took a lot of restraint to think about it. Glad I did.
It's also great to hear everyone's input and experiences.
In the end it's entirely possible I go through a few before I find the one. (Especially, if it's like dating!)

Hello Everyone,

In the summer I purchased a Koaloha Soprano and love it. Previously I only played a Pono Mahogany Tenor.
After switching back and forth I definitely enjoy playing the soprano more (Likely because of my tiny hands. No idea how I ever used to manage a guitar...)
I'm a minimalist and am happier with less stuff and prefer to have one uke.
The problem with the Koaloha is that it doesn't have enough frets. Some of the stuff I play goes up to the 15th fret.

So I'm going to sell both and I'm in the market for a new uke.

So far I'm looking at the Pono MS Mahogany Soprano at Hawaii Music Supply. http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-ms-mahogany-soprano-ukulele.html

I figure because it'll be the only uke I have; I'll go all out and pay the extra $100 for the passive pickup.

I'm not sure about the finish. I've never played anything with a satin finish. Do any of you find it affects the sound much?

I'd love to get advice/suggestions from all of you!

*I should probably add that I also prefer friction tuners. Not sure why, but it seems like more and more sopranos are being made with geared tuners. I find it makes it way too top heavy. For me it also just doesn't look right.

The tenor size is not comfortable for me either and I also played classical guitar. Believe it's the body size and the way of holding it rather than the fretboard. The concert size is very good fit for me. Have you thought of a concert?

So, after going through a lot of post, I'm abandoning the Pono idea...

I'm leaning towards a Kamaka Standard. (And waiting for HMS to get stock).

Also still looking for potential mahogany or cedar options.

So, after going through a lot of post, I'm abandoning the Pono idea...

I'm leaning towards a Kamaka Standard. (And waiting for HMS to get stock).

Also still looking for potential mahogany or cedar options.

Good idea. And if you've not done it yet, call HMS by phone and speak to one of their good people. They'll update you, they'll call Kamaka for you, MGM knows them and goes there, and they'll get you a nice one. They're easy to speak with by phone.

HMS is the cat's pajamas.

Top Bottom