First uke for me and my daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermdog

Reaction score
My 6 year old daughter has been asking for a ukulele since the beginning of this year. I've managed to save enough to buy us each a starter uke. I plan on buying her a Makala MK-C and myself a Kala KA-C. I can get them both for around $200 with setup. For my daughter, this will be a true starter uke for her to learn on and see if she really wants to pursue this. For me, I have never played ukulele, but I play guitar and I am fairly confident the uke is something I will stick with.

My question is...should I go with the Kala KA-C (which is a laminate), and in all likelihood upgrade to a solid wood uke down the line? Or, should I continue to save for several more months, and wait until I can purchase a solid wood uke in the $300-400 range (something like a Pono MC or Koalana Concert)? I guess I'm struggling with whether to spend $105 on the Kala KA-C now, or save it and apply it towards the purchase of a uke that will likely be my final/best uke. Hope that makes sense.

Why not get may matching Makala's and put the left over amount in the UAS fund, that way you'll have something to play together while you find what you prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom