End of the World in 2012... 21st December 2012.

Phooto

Reaction score
According to the Mayans and many, many sites on the internet, the World will end on the 21st of December 2012.

What will you do to mark this momentous event?

Do you have anything planned for Christmas (is there any point?) or 2013?

Do you think a good ukulele will provide protection, solace or a pass to a new life?

I might write a song about it...

Well, it's the end of a cycle and the beginning of a new one so, we'll just have to wait and see. One thing I can say is that the Mayans don't predict death and destruction, that's the Hollywood version. So, all fear mongering aside, I'm looking forward to it and whatever happens, happens. I have a gut feeling it will be good.;)

You remember "The Dawning of the Age of Aquarius"? Same thing, only Mayan-style. I will be probably shopping for Christmas dinner. If the world ends, then, oh, well.

It's Frank Zappa's 72nd birthday, so probably we'll be spinning some Zappa albums on Dec 21.

the apocalypse will have their way without us making any plans, anyway. what should we do? go down in the basement? :D

My pocket calendar ends Jan. 5, 2013. So maybe that is the end of the world.

Actually I think the end of the world would be really interesting. :wtf:

I wonder what it is in our psyches that leads so many of us to get hung up on doomsday scenarios. The major monotheistic religions have it built into their very fabric; there were major "end of the world" cults at various points in our history (notably the first millennium and, to a lesser extent, the IInd (remember how our PCs were supposed to all die on us and planes fall out of the sky, etc). Then there are the modern religions founded on predictions about the second coming, or else the arrival of aliens to whisk off the faithful to the promised planet and scorch the rest of us; etc. (Not to mention the Jonestown type movements).

Then of course, our entertainment industry regularly kills us all off, from HG Wells' "Time Machine" through "Orson Welles' Radio Drama" through "B-Movie Sci Fi" to "The Impossible" turning the Boxing Day Tsunami tragedy into mass entertainment. What gives with us?

I have no answers to my rhetorical question; all I can say is : "armageddon outta here!" ;)

I wonder what it is in our psyches that leads so many of us to get hung up on doomsday scenarios. The major monotheistic religions have it built into their very fabric; there were major "end of the world" cults at various points in our history (notably the first millennium and, to a lesser extent, the IInd (remember how our PCs were supposed to all die on us and planes fall out of the sky, etc). Then there are the modern religions founded on predictions about the second coming, or else the arrival of aliens to whisk off the faithful to the promised planet and scorch the rest of us; etc. (Not to mention the Jonestown type movements).

Then of course, our entertainment industry regularly kills us all off, from HG Wells' "Time Machine" through "Orson Welles' Radio Drama" through "B-Movie Sci Fi" to "The Impossible" turning the Boxing Day Tsunami tragedy into mass entertainment. What gives with us?

I have no answers to my rhetorical question; all I can say is : "armageddon outta here!" ;)

On a similar vein, what is it that makes people SO want to be a Doomsday prophet?, just about every other person on Youtube wants you to believe that they know all the facts about the end of the world. Personally I don't see the advantage in it, if you are right, you can't brag about it later.

Last edited:
Well, I started by edging my bets. Two weeks ago my wife bought me an early Birthday present of a K1 Concert Kanile'a. Thought it was a great idea just in case the Mayans were right because my Birthday is on December the 22nd the day after the end of the world. So at least I get a good few weeks playing a high end Uke before I go.
On the other hand, I don't think the Mayan ancestors even believe it because they have already taken our deposit for our holiday next year on the Mayan Riviera lol. Either way I am a winner as I had my Kanile'a early. Good times.

ETF :cool:

I will be on vacation in the mountains of PA when the world is supposed to end. I intend to drink too much, put bubbles in the hot tub, and have a grand time until we all die.

In case we survive, I'm having a 'We Didn't Die' party on the 29th. I decided to go the pot luck route in case it does end...I don't want to die poor.

The world ended for the Mayans a long time ago. On the other hand, don't buy any green bananas.

Top Bottom