Pono or Koalana Concert

I've noticed that there seems to be a greater number of used or refurbished Pono's available (e.g., on eBay and various marketplaces), but not many used or refurbished Koalanas. I wonder if this says something about the quality or satisfaction people have for Pono, or if there are simply more Pono ukes out there--and therefore a greater number of second hand and refurbs available.

There are simply more Pono ukes out there. Far more Ponos have been produced over the years that Koalanas; in fact, the most recent version of Koalana has only been out a few weeks, so it virtually impossible for second hand instruments to be out there. Pono has also made the decision to sell their factory seconds as refurbs; some makers do that, some don't. Pono does, but I don't think that says anything about their quality.

Both Pono and Koalana are good quality mid-range instruments. No matter how many people you ask, you will find some who prefer one and some who prefer the other. Ultimately, nobody can decide but you.

Andrew, thanks for your input--that is very useful feedback. While anyone could play either uke, it sounds like the Koalana might be best suited for an experienced player, while the Pono might be easier for a beginner.

I didn't get that from what Andrew wrote. I have yet to see a beginner appropriately use dynamic range.

There are simply more Pono ukes out there. Far more Ponos have been produced over the years that Koalanas; in fact, the most recent version of Koalana has only been out a few weeks, so it virtually impossible for second hand instruments to be out there. Pono has also made the decision to sell their factory seconds as refurbs; some makers do that, some don't. Pono does, but I don't think that says anything about their quality.

Both Pono and Koalana are good quality mid-range instruments. No matter how many people you ask, you will find some who prefer one and some who prefer the other. Ultimately, nobody can decide but you.

well put.
we return so many instruments from all the different companies. I have no idea where they go. perhaps somewhere nobody would know the difference- Middle America Music Center!?

I didn't get that from what Andrew wrote. I have yet to see a beginner appropriately use dynamic range.

ya...beginner or experienced isn't really a factor - it's the way you play or attack and what you like to hear or accompanies your music best. Rich summed that up well. Even the way I explained my experience may not be your take on it. But either way your set for a good time

Oh man, I hope I didn't offend anyone with my comment about Pono being easier for a beginner than a Koalana. I wasn't trying to say that Koalana is better than Pono, or that Koalana is for the experienced player and that Pono is for the novice. I was only trying to express that, given Andrew's feedback, perhaps all things being equal, the Koalana may be more demanding to play than the Pono.

When Andrew said that the Koalana can get a bit clanky with a less than graceful touch, and that strumming on the Pono won't get as plinky and is less messy when played with force, I just took that to mean that Pono is a more forgiving ukulele than the Koalana. I may have misinterpreted what he was saying.

Heck, the whole point of this thread is to help me choose between the two brands--and it's an incredibly difficult decision. None of the stores around me carries Koalana, and at the few stores that carry Pono, they are all out of stock or have decided to no longer carry the brand. So, I can't try either of these concert ukes for myself. I'm just grateful for all the feedback everyone has given me so far.

I wouldn't even think about the Koalana. Not for a second, if Pono is in the running. Hope that's helpful.

I wouldn't even think about the Koalana. Not for a second, if Pono is in the running. Hope that's helpful.

ditto

sherm, we all get your drift. Everyone wants you to get the right uke 4 u. fortunately, Andrew from HMS has chimed in...he has the lock on KoAlanas, and is ground zero for Pono, so you're in great company.

None of us could try them both either... so what'd we do? We each bought one of each from HMS. lol All good, brah.

;)

post pics of whatever u buy, and wecome to the pleasuredome (your a long way from home).

Last edited:
Oh man, I hope I didn't offend anyone with my comment about Pono being easier for a beginner than a Koalana.for myself..

No you didn't offend anyone. Not even close. Those easily offended shouldn't even come to a forum discussion.

There's so many different brands all with their own sound and unique nuances to appreciate. Then within each one is sizes and woods, throw in string options and tunings and you see why most of us are so excited to get another even though we already have good ones. And why we spend half of our free time discussing these options and what we have found and love. But don't worry, it's not like choosing curtains on the price is right. It's more like ordering chicken or fish. You may like one better but they both do the job.

This thread and another got my UAS started again. On Oahu yesterday and went to Wahiawa and bought a Pono MC "second." I can't find any flaws with a magnifying glass and it sounds good. Pono all the way!

I recently purchased the Pono MT-PC from
http://myworld.ebay.com/opahcat/&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2754

http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-mt-pc-new-mahogany-tenor-pro-classic.html

what i can say is that i have no complaints whatsoever. it was a "factory refurbished" but it was really a factory second. there was supposed to be minor blemishes on the lower end, but i can honestly say that i couldn't find it. the ukulele still had that new wood smell and it plays amazing. the intonation was spot on and it is seriously beautiful. it also included an ohana hardcase which fits perfectly for the ukulele. i got the whole thing for $400+($35 for shipping). the other amazing thing is that it arrived in two days after i paypalled it.

so, in conclusion, if you're interested in buying a pono, i highly suggest buying it from the ebay link. you're still buying it straight from the pono factory, despite it not being made in hawaii. i called his business card right after and talked to him and he explained it was really a factory second with some cosmetic issue.

We've been told that this run of KoAlana's is not going to be duplicated. Reportedly there will be more KoAlanas, but they won't be the exact copies of KoAlohas that the current batch is.

As the owner of one of each I have some additional thoughts:

1. Andrew is right about the Pono being more responsive to hard strumming. I hadn't noticed because I tend to strum with a pretty light touch. I do a lot of fingerpicking and don't generally strum hard. But I tested what he said and he is right.

2. To me KoAloha (not KoAlana, but KoAloha) is a very Hawaiian uke. I think the KoAlohas generally sound a lot like Kamakas and there is something about the sound coming from KoAloha ukes that has a very Hawaiian essence. Maybe it's the brightness. In contrast I love Kanilea's and they are made in Hawaii, but they have a very different sound - a beautiful one but not one that to me is traditional Hawaiian. What's special, to me, about the KoAlana is that it looks feels and sounds very essentially KoAloha BUT the mahogany alters the sound ever so subtly and uniquely. It's so light, so responsive, it's just amazing.

3. Ponos (I have a few) are well-made ukes. I like them. They are a bit over built compared to KoAloha. When I think about the Ponos I have I think words like "competent", "very good", "reliable", "good value".

4. For me the KoAlana, no contest, is vastly better than the Pono. BUT it is a matter of individual likes and dislikes. Someone else might just not like the Kolana sound and feel, or someone else might have a different playing style. If your playing centers on strumming and you strum hard, you'll probably like the Pono better. I haven't stopped playing my Pono now that I have my KoAlana.

Top Bottom