KALA Pocket Uke! or another very portable uke!

jarincole

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I am going to college next fall and would like a uke that is extremely portable - something I can fit in my backpack comfortably. Right now I have a Mainland Mango Concert which I love, however I prefer small ukuleles (sopranos, sopraninos, etc). I'm looking into the Kala Acacia Pocket Uke to buy! It is quite expensive though. And the thing is, I can't find a single site that has one available (at least for the $280 price which many have listed, but are not in stock). I heard that they quit making them a few years back. What do you think my plan of action should be - attempt to purchase one from a member on the UU? Or do you have another purchase suggestion? The mahogany and spruce woods of the pocket honesty don't appeal to me as much. I want something of high quality that will last a long time and that I can take with me everywhere!

Last edited:
Thanks mate but I don't find the spalted maple to be very tasteful. A solid, consistent wood is much preferred.

There really is "no accounting for taste" - I think that "Spalted Maple" is the most attractive looking Uke I have seen in ages. It would look great next to my Kala flame maple tenor

However, am I really ready for the ensuing divorce if I ordered that little baby ;)

why not just get a soprano beater uke? the headstock will stick out of the top of your bag. I really like the Kala travel ukes. they have a nice case and are really thin.
the other option could be a Risa Solid with a little smokey amp.

I find that the Pockets need tuning a lot more with a shorter scale length.. and wish I never got rid of my Kala Travel Sop. I bought a 'tom' brand laminate pocket that is also thin (China, about £45 posted), and despite being ropey (top has bowed a bit, intonation was bad before I put a saddle extension on) it is a fantastic little thing which fits everywhere. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-17-Po...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2323e6ff8a&_uhb=1
And if it gets lost, who cares?
(I eventually got half my money back for the issues)

I have no experience with Kala's pocket ukes, so no advice regarding them, but I do have a couple great travel ukes to recommend:

* I absolutely adore my Kiwaya KS-0P thin line pineapple uke. It's regular soprano scale, but its thin body and small headstock make it significantly smaller and lighter than most ukes. More importantly, it plays and sounds great.

* The Ohana SK-21 sopranino is another great travel option---a small, sturdy uke with lots of classic uke "plink". Mine sounds great tuned up three half-steps to BbEbGC.

I'm with Ukeeku about the Kala Soprano Travel uke. It's my go-to uke of choice. I'm currently using it to teach my Monday Night classes.

Besides the Risa Soprano Solid, which I have (and it's a wonderful uke), I'd also like to suggest the Eleuke Peanut as a more affordable alternative with extras (silent earbud/headphone practice, MP3 play-along, etc). While a bit
taller than the Risa (no-headstock), the Peanut (with headstock) is a solid carry-around, but an amp would be needed for performances.

I imagine that at college, you'll probably make friends with guitarists who will have large, heavy amps to which they might let you hook up your Risa or Peanut. You might even win them over to the uke! :)

keep uke'in',

I agree with Uncle Rod, check out the Peanut. I used to haul mine around in my flight bag, very portable. Give Mim a call, she also carries Ohanas and Kalas

Sub-soprano ukes are fun, but are they really more portable than a soprano? Maybe on a spaceship, but lots of college students have multiple guitars in the dorm, I think you will have room for a soprano. Smaller than soprano ukes are a mixed bag - they are very sensitive to proper compensation. Some sound good tuned gCEA and others must be tuned up a step or two or three. If I was limited to one uke it would be a soprano or a concert. I've got a sopranino, 11.6" scale. It is cute and a chick magnet, if the chicks are already into ukuleles, but it is less playable than my sopranos. So I advise a soprano.

Edit - I just got my sopranino out and played it. I had forgotten, it is less forgiving to tune as well, seems to want to be re-tuned more often. Not a huge deal but still. But I'll bet you have room for a soprano plus a sopranino in your room.

Family.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom