my new little sander

Barry Sholder

Reaction score
I just purchased a Harbor Freight 1 x30" belt sander for $39.00 to rough out my necks and I have to report it works great. After the bandsaw work I can roll it back and forth 50 grit and presto a uke neck change paper to finer grit hit the ends with my Foredom some 2" sanding tootsies. No sweat just nice and finished before fine sanding. I know some of the pro are going to say are you kidding me but for me it works.
I also saw a cool little trick on YOUTube to make your own belts that works pretty good. Slice the sandpaper 4 at a time to 1" Go to the post office and buy their package tape that is fiberglass reinforced, then but the strips end to end and tape on the back side cut to 30". Doesn't get much easier than that.

Barry---Not to change the subject, but I looked at your banjo page. Cool stuff! Do you ever have trouble with the skins stretching and the action dropping after setup? Back in the '70s I made two mountain banjos with glued-on skins. The only way to keep them playable was to drop the bridge on its side so there was no pressure on the heads when not playing them. I've been wondering how you gourd guys get around this.

Top Bottom