A good $$ upgrade level for 2nd UKE? (Ohana TK-35? Mainland Classic Tenor? Others?)

mstuartev

Reaction score
Of course spending is a relative thing... relative to how much (or how little) you have, but....

I have been really digging my first uke - an Ohana TK-10 that I scored off UU a few months back. The tenor works great for me. I am a finger picker on the guitar and I can pick and strum this with great results. The fellow I work by is a banjo picker and we're thinking we should have an instrument at work to pick over the lunch break... so I'm thinking of getting a second uke so I can leave one at work.

I reckon if I get another tenor I should try to upgrade a teeny bit. I like the versatility and sound of mahogany, so something in that tonal area is good. The TK-10 is laminate so I figure it's time to go solid wood.

I guess I should aim for the $300 range.

The Ohana TK-35 (or 35S) have gotten good reviews and is in my range (and is on the rack at a local shop)
The Mainland Ukes are always getting raves. The Mainland Classic Mahogany Tenor might fall into the list too.

Would be delighted to hear of some suggestions while I comb back through archived posts.

Mark E in Madison Wisconsin

The Ohana TK-35 is a very good uke. I was very impressed with it. Very good value with great sound. Mainlands are very good too (although I don't have a tenor mahogany). I have several Mainlands, soprano, concert, baritone... all good ukes. If you have a chance to play one in person, go for it!

–Lori

In that price range you will see a difference in the upgrade. Both Ohana and Mainland have great products. If you find two ukes that are about the same price level Ohana tends to be just a bit cheaper but Mainland tends to be finished a bit nicer. So if the Mainland of your dreams is $10-$20 more than the Ohana of your dreams it will justify that with nicer finishing. I'm not knocking Ohanas, my favorite uke is an Ohana.They are just a bit plainer than the Mainlands at the same basic price point.

You can buy Mainland's direct from the company or Ohana's from Mim. Mainland Mike and Mim are both great people who are in the industry for love, not just to push ukes out the door.

Last edited:
Last edited:
The Ohana TK-35 is a very good uke. I was very impressed with it. Very good value with great sound. Mainlands are very good too (although I don't have a tenor mahogany). I have several Mainlands, soprano, concert, baritone... all good ukes. If you have a chance to play one in person, go for it!

–Lori

I'd be able to play the Ohana TK-35 at Spruce Tree. MIght have to check it out.

ME

Pono MT from HMS. I love the sound of mahogany.

Why do we not hear more about Lehua ukuleles on this site ? www.lehuaukulele.com. The design is from Bob Gleason of Pegasus Guitars & Ukuleles. I have one for sale that was purchased by a guitar player. It is a classic tenor which is virtually unplayed. MSRP is 359.00. There is a limited production bag which sold for 39.50. It has Aquila strings. The MSRP has not changed on the entire line since 2007. He wants $250 (shipping extra) for the entire package.

Were it not that I already have one that I have fitted with PEGHEDS, I would have bought it myself.. Pictures of it are available. thecraftedcow@comcast.net
It has a 17.5 inch scale. All of the trim is solid wood and so is the entire ukulele. It has a black strap button, and a choice of 15 different colours of a 1" wide poly-web strap with nylon slider and leather ends.

I am a Lehua and an Aquila strings dealer. I originally sold it to the owner,so I am not making a second profit on it. The grain pattern on his is really prettier than my own. However, there is no difference in tone or volume. If there were a difference, it would be mine which would be for sale. wdt

Last edited:
Top Bottom