resso uke

mal-c

Reaction score
Hi guys, how do you atach nylon strings to a resso ukulele withlout them snapping off at the cover plate fasterning point Mal

Last edited:
what is thread seal I can only think of locktight but how would you wrap that?Sorry if that sounds stupid Regards Mal

hello mal,
you could do one of several things to prevent damage to those strings.
A) slice some thin strips of electrical tape and wrap a few times round
that spot where the string at the base of the knot sits in the sharp metal cover-plate slot.
B) slip a bit of very thin shrink-wrap tubing over that area where each string makes contact
and heat with a heat gun allowing it to constrict over each string to create a protective sleeve.
C) slide over that area w. some super-thin clear plastic tubing so that that's what's protecting that pinch
area. something like the very thin clear stuff used for medical applications. i've found some at a surplus/junk
store in toronto. i think it's some sort of very thin PVC tubing. if you can't find that you could improvise and find some thin
plastic coated wire and snip and slip off the plastic casing and use it.
D) some folks have successfully added a wooden piece as mentioned in this previous thread:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?70264-Resonator-Ukulele

good luck!
tomas

To keep me from making a mistake in the future, why wouldn't I want to take a very fine jeweler's file and remove all the sharp edges from the string slots? Perhap then polish with small rubber abrasive bits i.e dremel?

Top Bottom