Tenor Uke: Kala Marxer LE or Travel w/pickup or Other?

arrScott

Reaction score
Looking to fill the hole in my uke collection, which means a tenor with electric pickup to plug in at church. At Uke Fest VA, I was able to try both the Kala Marcy Marxer all-solid limited edition and the Kala travel with electric pickup, which I've played before a couple of times. The travel uke has solid top in the same wood as the Marxer LE but with laminate sides. In my limited experience, the travel uke was actually louder, but the Marxer LE had a deeper sound that I slightly prefer.

Anyway, I'm looking at $475 for the all-solid vs $250 for the solid-top travel. Any opinions on the relative value between the two, or recommendations for other sub-$500 tenors with built-in pickups and at least solid tops?

Kind of apples and oranges with regard to size, tone, projection. Value for the money? Very subjective, but I am always amazed at the huge sound that leaps out of those thinlines, expecially the tenor size. Uncle Rod just got one.

Both are nice.

I have played 3 of the Marcy Marxer models and thought that they outperformed many higher cost ukes. The Marcy Marxer model will sound richer amplified I believe. These are exceptional ukes for the price.

Uke on!

Thanks, Phil & U64. Good input! I think maybe my question was too open-ended. I'm really just being indecisive here. So let me try to be a little more focused.

Does anyone think there's a better all-solid, pickup-equipped tenor than the Marxer LE on the market right now for under $500? I'd consider a Mainland with the passive pickup, but I already have a Mainland concert, and I kind of like the idea of owning a variety of makers. Even though the Mainland is pretty much the first thing I'd grab on the way out the door in a fire.

Does anyone think there's a better value in solid-top electric tenor ukes than the Kala travel?

Thanks, Phil & U64. Good input! I think maybe my question was too open-ended. I'm really just being indecisive here. So let me try to be a little more focused.

Does anyone think there's a better all-solid, pickup-equipped tenor than the Marxer LE on the market right now for under $500? I'd consider a Mainland with the passive pickup, but I already have a Mainland concert, and I kind of like the idea of owning a variety of makers. Even though the Mainland is pretty much the first thing I'd grab on the way out the door in a fire.

Does anyone think there's a better value in solid-top electric tenor ukes than the Kala travel?

There's a new, all solid mahogany Kala tenor with cutaway and pickup on ebay for $199 and free shipping! Beat that

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251172553974?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Last edited:
Top Bottom