Soprano Fingerstyle Strings

rowjimmytour

Reaction score
Have KA-S w/ Aquila nylgut strings would like to try some new strings especially nice sound for fingerstyle picking. I am thinking about worth brown but would like to hear some feedback and more suggestions please. Thanks.

I love the Browns, but the Clears are excellent as well! Living Water strings are good too.

As a picker I LIKE Aquila Nylguts.

Here's my two bobs worth. Aquila Nylguts help a ukulele sound BIG. Lots of harmonics. Flurocarbon strings can have a strong fundamental tone but harmonics are few. Nice for strumming but for picking I think Aquila's are tops. If your using the original strings then try a new set before you decide what you like or dislike about Aquila's. I don't think that original equipment Aquila's are as good as replacement sets.

Anthony

As a picker I LIKE Aquila Nylguts.

Here's my two bobs worth. Aquila Nylguts help a ukulele sound BIG. Lots of harmonics. Flurocarbon strings can have a strong fundamental tone but harmonics are few. Nice for strumming but for picking I think Aquila's are tops. If your using the original strings then try a new set before you decide what you like or dislike about Aquila's. I don't think that original equipment Aquila's are as good as replacement sets.

Anthony

My experience has been the opposite.

In my opinion, Aquila nylguts are better for strumming. You're right, they do have a lot of harmonics - which works really well strummed.

Fingerpicked, I find them to sound and feel quite thin and lifeless. Depends a lot on the uke and setup too I guess.
But I prefer fingerpicking with fluorocarbon (Worth, Fremont, etc) or plain nylon (such as D'addario Pro-Arte). I noticed this a great deal when I switched from D'addario Nyltech to Aquila Nylguts on my Kamaka a few weeks ago. D'addario Pro-Artes are my absolute go-to strings for fingerpicking, but they only come in Concert and Tenor (and I've tried putting them on a Soprano to find that it sounds a bit dull to use such thick strings on a Sop).

At least in my experience, I had thought you want to focus on the fundamental when fingerpicking, to have clarity of tone.
That is why classical guitars are most popularly used with clear nylon or fluorocarbon strings, for their pure, fingerpicking tone.

But each to his own I guess. Aquilas works really well on some ukes too... just isn't my top choice for fingerpicking specifically.
It's my string to put on cheap ukes to sound louder when strummed..

Last edited:
Top Bottom