First Ukulele

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedViolin

Reaction score
Have anyone played the Kala KA-SMLT or the Pono ATC-C?

I have around $370 and I'm looking for a warm sounding first uke.

Another vote for Pono, they are hard to beat for the price. You may also want to check out Mainland's as well, Kala makes some nice ukes, but for the money I think Pono or Mainland are a notch above.

I would guess that since the Kala KA-SMLT is a new model, there aren't a lot of us out here who've played it. Having said that, and anyone can jump in here to correct me if necessary, just getting the ball rolling, if you want a warm tone, that might not be the best choice. The HMS website says that the KA-SMLT has an "articulate spruce-like tone", and since I understand that spruce can "brighten up" warmer side/back woods, I would think that it wouldn't be particularly warm. (Yes, there's a sound sample, but everything sounds the same to me.) Of course, the right strings can tweak that somewhat. Ponos are great. It would be hard to go wrong with a Pono, and I say that as someone who owns both Ponos and Kalas. Also having said all of this, I have been mightily tempted by the KA-SMLT in the last few days......

Yes, yes, I know, no help whatsoever.....

Let us know what you decide, and welcome!

My starter uke was a soprano flea.
To this day, it is the easiest to play of anything I have tried.
It's nearly industructable, has a nice warm sound and is well within your budget.

Thanks for the reply guys! Next week, I'm planning to go to two ukulele stores. I'm crossing my fingers that they have some ponos or/and the KA-SMLT model in stock.
Since they probably won't have the model I want, I'll probably be buying off the HMS website.

I'm aware that the Ponos are well built but would $450 be too much for a first uke? I'm somewhat experienced in other instruments so I won't give up on it but that's still quite a lot for me. Would it be better to buy a pono or buy the kala and upgrade to the pono?

By the way, for those who have played the Pono ATC-C, is it warm to you? Also, how's the feel? It's hard to tell on the HMS website cause the recordings can be misleading.

Last edited:
I looked at both ukes on the HMS web site, and think either one is a good choice, depending on your budget. You won't go wrong ordering either one from HMS.

The Pono is probably built better than the Kala, and to my ears the Pono sounds warmer and more mellow than the Kala. However, the Kala is priced $150 USD less than the Pono, so you can get the Kala with money left over.

But between these two ukes, if you're serious about getting the better instrument with a warmer sound, I'd suggest saving a little more and buying the Pono over the Kala.

I have a Pono RTD Tenor uke, and the more I play it the more I love it! The build quality is extremely high, the sound is rich and intonation is good, and it's just a pleasure to play. So, I'm admittedly a little biased.

Of course, these are only my opinions, everyone else on the interweb has their own opinions, and your experience will most likely be unique. :)

Last edited:
Next week, I'm planning to go to two ukulele stores. I'm crossing my fingers that they have some ponos or/and the KA-SMLT model in stock.
Where are you that you have the luxury of two ukulele stores nearby? :p

Good luck in your quest. I've never played a Pono, but they seem to have a really good rep amongst the members here.

Nothing wrong with starting out on a really good instrument.

But I would probably recommend starting out on the lower priced Kala, which makes decent instruments.

Then, when you've learned to play some you'll have a better feel for what you want in a instrument.

...Nothing wrong with starting out on a really good instrument.

But I would probably recommend starting out on the lower priced Kala, which makes decent instruments.

Then, when you've learned to play some you'll have a better feel for what you want in a instrument.

Ooh, that's an excellent point as well!

A very important thing to consider when buying a uke from a local music store or ebay is if they do a setup before sending the uke. Most companies send their instruments set higher than usually played. Mims, Uke Republic and HMS all check out their instruments and make adjustments before sending them out.

I would much rather buy one of HMS's "2nds" Ponos over anything you mentioned. Why buy a Kala when you can get a much better Pono with perhaps a small blemish or two. I've seen a couple of their so called 2nds and was hard pressed to find the flaw when asked where it was.

Where are you that you have the luxury of two ukulele stores nearby? :p

Haha. That's the beauty of living in CA :) One of it is actually a guitar shop that has a few ukes in it and the other is an actual uke store. They're around a 25 minute drive each.

But anyway, I'm going to go the actual ukulele store tomorrow. I think I'm going to get a Pono. But now, I don't know whether I should get the Pono ATC-C or the Pono -MT...

Also, even if the store has both models, I might end up buying from HMS website.

Unfortunately, the store did not have any ponos I can try out. But, they had very nice ukes of various brands. I tried some out but one stuck out to me in particular.

I think I'm going buy the limited Kala -Marcy Marxer - Spruce/ Acacia Tenor Electric. I know it's not warm but it is biliant! Feels amazing and sounds even nicer! The store has it for $350.

So should I get this Kala or stick with the Pono?
If I get the Kala, my second uke will most likely be a pono. But (obviously) I won't be shopping for one very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom