Guidelines for Season 2 Seasons of the Ukulele

Thanks everybody for making me welcome.
I like the direction this discussion is going.

At first glance, the Seasons are a bit intimidating, not just for the overwhelming talent of the top players.
It can appear "cliquish" when folks know each others' real names, have a secret language, "unwritten rules," little in-jokes...

I appreciate the effort to articulate some history, guidelines and etiquette.

Bonus tracks
....no bonuses be posted before Wednesday so as to reduce the number risk of someone's chosen entry being preempted by a bonus track is a good idea - it won't eliminate it but it might just help.

This might be a worthy idea.
I'm afraid I stepped on some toes early in my participation.
I thought I was "taking the mickey" in a friendly way about a string of bonus tracks that went up in a short period, and it was misconstrued.

I recall another misunderstanding along those lines that I wasn't involved in, but feelings were hurt.

Some of us (like me) get excited when a theme "strikes a chord," and we can't wait to crank out multiple tunes that we love.

Geoff's idea could be a good compromise.
If folks have a bunch of bonus tracks, hold off posting them until Wednesday.
Maybe wait 12 or 24 hours between bonus track posts...

Last edited:
Thanks Dave Wave for your thoughts I like em
Discussion is going well so far, I couldn't think of all this stuff my self
so I like the collaborative effort
Keep them coming.

But all in all you guys decide what is best, this many months of seasons has been a amazing journey and brought many smiles and many new friendships, love to you all guys n gals GROUP HUG
I agree ukuleledaveey - this is what makes the Seasons so much fun. Months of great music and interesting challenges and getting to know all these crazy uke players - and now a GROUP HUG :)

I too like the change to Challenge (as opposed to competition). And here's a thought- Announce the next week's theme on Saturday as we usually do (so folks can start thinking about their song for the coming week) but don't allow any video postings till 12:01AM Hawaiian time on Monday morning (is that Tuesday in Tasmania?). That way everyone gets a full week for their Season (but those of us who need a little extra time can spend Sunday practicing).
And thanks to ukuloonie for planning ahead!

Hi All

Great thread. Thanks to Mr. Loonie for all your hard work, it is greatly appreciated.

I like this discussion, some great ideas. My personal feeling is that the Seasons have grown up very organically, with customs and traditions popping up almost on their own. It can be tricky to codify something that has flourished under a loose regimen.

I especially like the discussion on:
- being expressly welcoming and encouraging to rookies. This of course is what makes the Seasons sustainable. Rookie prize is a good idea. Just commenting and being nice isn't bad either.
- challenge vs contest

I am wary of
- scheduling restrictions and obligations. I live a very unpredictable professional life. Sometimes I have lots of free time, sometimes I have none, and I often don't get to know in advance. I am guilty of dropping out of my last week halfway through, for example. (sorry)
- eliminating prizes. I think prizeless weeks would be fine, but personally I cherish my Folk T shirt (random draw) and my Sparky's Beer cozy (something like a 3 way tie for 4th), and it's kind of fun to send off prizes. It's especially cool to get a package, it's a rare physical connection to the process.

As far as Bonus Tracks, I like to post them as soon as they're done. Otherwise I would probably chicken out. I also think they add to the conversation. But I could live with having to wait to Wednesday.

The original Bonus Track ( by Ukuleledaveey) was actually played in the same video as his main entry, back to back. That's how Seasonistas with Chutzpah do it.

strum on!

I am wary of
- scheduling restrictions and obligations. I live a very unpredictable professional life. Sometimes I have lots of free time, sometimes I have none, and I often don't get to know in advance. I am guilty of dropping out of my last week halfway through, for example. (sorry)
- eliminating prizes. I think prizeless weeks would be fine, but personally I cherish my Folk T shirt (random draw) and my Sparky's Beer cozy (something like a 3 way tie for 4th), and it's kind of fun to send off prizes. It's especially cool to get a package, it's a rare physical connection to the process.

As far as Bonus Tracks, I like to post them as soon as they're done. Otherwise I would probably chicken out. I also think they add to the conversation. But I could live with having to wait to Wednesday.

The original Bonus Track ( by Ukuleledaveey) was actually played in the same video as his main entry, back to back. That's how Seasonistas with Chutzpah do it.

strum on!
Have to agree on these points- Sometimes life gets tedious and I am wary that rules that discourage people from hosting might end the seasons (came close for a minute or two this year anyway)
Prizes- I don't get them, but it sure was fun to send them to folks in the weeks I an Melissa did.
Bonus Tracks- I am not sure about anyone else, but I am here to have fun and learn new songs. I am guilty of doing a bonus a day...but when the urge strikes, it is great to sit down, play a song and put it out there. I have also binned a tune because someone made a version that far out-classed mine, but oh well, back we went to learn another. I think we ought to leave the bonus thing where it is because it is amusing as all get-out.

Weekly is still the way it's going to be.
Multi-tracking well thats up to the host of the week,
but I don't think that it should be a week of multi tracking, an option maybe like Nongdams week when Austin1's created the song that won
it's a great skill that can be learned but it shouldn't be a major part of the seasons
if somebody wants to create one then a bonus track would be the most applicable place for it

I like Seasonista's
Season of the Ukulele 2013
Weekly Challenge 1-52

A little late to this conversation, but I fully support the host's option to allow multitracking. It's another creative outlet, and a great challenge (and isn't that the point?). I might also mention that I allowed multitracking back in week 26, and got a lot of great entries-- but the winner was someone who chose just voice and uke straight into the camera. Heartfelt performances will always excite, technology or no.

(Parenthetically: I find it ironic that some of us resist technology, when without scads of technology, a global forum like this would be impossible!)

Some interesting discussion. Following the discussion on bonus tracks, I can see the arguments on both sides but I do think a flurry of bonus tracks early in the week as sometimes happens can be offputting for newcomers which is why I made my suggestion. However, I feel that the best solution is to leave it up to the host but to include the suggestion as something to think about in the guidelines.

I think a similar thing applies to multitracking. Leave it up to the host.

As to contest vs. challenge, a challenge certainly removes the need to provide prizes or declare someone a winner when people of different levels of experience are participating. It would be useful to have some method of recognising performances of merit - which need not be the best in the week but could be when a poster produces something outstanding relative to his or her previous performances.

Hi All

Great thread. Thanks to Mr. Loonie for all your hard work, it is greatly appreciated.

I am wary of

strum on!

I hadn't considered this aspect of prizes. I have won more than my fair share of them, and while I have always felt much more joy at the announcement of winning rather than getting the actual prize, I too fondly look on my prizes as remembrances of the win. And that surprise in the mailbox is pretty priceless. Perhaps the certificate thing would in fact be the best way to go, then - this way we still get the joy of receipt, but it can be up to the host to divvy out a first place or an everybody wins sort of deal... And the host can also be in charge of designing that week's certificate, so as to allow for some creativity.

I do agree that codifying too much could stifle us here... We've been doing just fine so far withy the organic growth of the thing. Discussion is good, for sure, and there are a couple of issues to sort out - timing of the announcement (I LOVE Myrna's idea about announcing saturday, but only entering Monday...) contest/challenge/prizes, bonus tracks...

Whoa! Bonus track idea! IF we get a separate forum, perhaps bonus tracks could be listed in a different thread entirely. This would clean up the main thread some, and eliminate some anxiety around someone doubling an entry with a bonus. I think the seasons already take up so much of the contests forum as it is, so doubling up threads might be tough as it stands - but with a dedicated board, maybe?

Why not start an open mic thread. Where people can enter one song per week. If you enter a song you get one vote. End of the week votes are counted up. Prize being that you get to choose theme of the next open mic. Simples. Have it as its own thing that runs along side the seasons? Just an idea. Feel free to shoot it down

Why not start an open mic thread. Where people can enter one song per week. If you enter a song you get one vote. End of the week votes are counted up. Prize being that you get to choose theme of the next open mic. Simples. Have it as its own thing that runs along side the seasons? Just an idea. Feel free to shoot it down

Um, once again, this winner of the last week hosts the next week idea will not work due to many reasons: the weekly challenge will be scuttled, people's real lives get in the way, some people love participating but don't want to host, etc etc etc... Besides, hosting requires a lot of work, and in some cases, planning, with guest judges etc.

I'm also not sure why we'd choose to purposefully dilute the seasons by starting a whole separate thread. But the joy of these boards is that if someone has an idea, they can run with it, and see how far it goes. That's how the seasons themselves started, after all.

If you'd like to do the open mic idea, Wongo, more power to you. But it seems redundant to me.

Um, once again, this winner of the last week hosts the next week idea will not work due to many reasons: the weekly challenge will be scuttled, people's real lives get in the way, some people love participating but don't want to host, etc etc etc... Besides, hosting requires a lot of work, and in some cases, planning, with guest judges etc.

yep Matt
This wont happen
good Idea though lives do get in the way it doesn't work for the seasons.

I hadn't considered this aspect of prizes. I have won more than my fair share of them, and while I have always felt much more joy at the announcement of winning rather than getting the actual prize, I too fondly look on my prizes as remembrances of the win. And that surprise in the mailbox is pretty priceless. Perhaps the certificate thing would in fact be the best way to go, then - this way we still get the joy of receipt, but it can be up to the host to divvy out a first place or an everybody wins sort of deal... And the host can also be in charge of designing that week's certificate, so as to allow for some creativity.

I do agree that codifying too much could stifle us here... We've been doing just fine so far withy the organic growth of the thing. Discussion is good, for sure, and there are a couple of issues to sort out - timing of the announcement (I LOVE Myrna's idea about announcing saturday, but only entering Monday...) contest/challenge/prizes, bonus tracks...

Whoa! Bonus track idea! IF we get a separate forum, perhaps bonus tracks could be listed in a different thread entirely. This would clean up the main thread some, and eliminate some anxiety around someone doubling an entry with a bonus. I think the seasons already take up so much of the contests forum as it is, so doubling up threads might be tough as it stands - but with a dedicated board, maybe?

Prizes up to the host, not expected, truly awesome to receive, makes the Ukulele Underground seem real instead of virtual, I like sending prizes too. so I feel connected.

So again up to the Host.

Bonus songs again up to the host, maybe a dedicated parallel thread would ease the seasons. But you goto love TCK he just loves to feel the spirit of the Seasons and his joy of music and restricting it to wednesday kinda dampens the joy.

Ok about myrna suggestion of announcing the contest but not being able to start posting till Sunday night Hawaiian time, still up for debate but sounds good.
Again most of this is simple and should be kept that way.

Last edited:
Perhaps the certificate thing would in fact be the best way to go, then - this way we still get the joy of receipt, but it can be up to the host to divvy out a first place or an everybody wins sort of deal... And the host can also be in charge of designing that week's certificate, so as to allow for some creativity.

I do agree that codifying too much could stifle us here... We've been doing just fine so far withy the organic growth of the thing.

I like the idea of a certificate too. Sounds great! Something to hang with pride in the office maybe... :eek:

DSCF4654.jpg

Also I agree about the 'let's not over-think' and over legislate'. It is working pretty fine as it is. Too many rules will turn off newcomers. But as you say Matty, we just need some simple procedural guidelines and principles.

On the separate board thing, turns out seeso is all for it. Just needs to run it past Ryan, but looking positive there. If it does happen I can see the volume of entrants and general exposure growing exponentially. Very exciting!

'let's not over-think' and over legislate'. It is working pretty fine as it is. Too many rules will turn off newcomers. But as you say Matty, we just need some simple procedural guidelines and principles.

On the separate board thing, turns out seeso is all for it. Just needs to run it past Ryan, but looking positive there. If it does happen I can see the volume of entrants and general exposure growing exponentially. Very exciting!

Thanks Jon
I agree, no overthinking here, don't like that, too much work,and it's Great that we may have a separate board.

... And here's a thought- Announce the next week's theme on Saturday as we usually do (so folks can start thinking about their song for the coming week) but don't allow any video postings till 12:01AM Hawaiian time on Monday morning (is that Tuesday in Tasmania?). That way everyone gets a full week for their Season (but those of us who need a little extra time can spend Sunday practicing).
And thanks to ukuloonie for planning ahead!

Implications of Myrna's suggestion: 12.01 am Hawaii means

10.01 am in the UK and 11.01 am in the near continent (ie most of Western Europe)

Tasmania is a further 10hrs ahead of the UK so that would mean 8.01pm Monday. Of course, for the Americas it would mean the small hours of the morning

I like the idea, but we need to think carefully about the time implications as the community is a widely scattered one.

I suggest perhaps announce the theme earlier on Saturday and start the contest at Midnight Sunday (Hawaii). That would mean everyone has a chance to post something on Sunday should they wish.

Just a thought

(Parenthetically: I find it ironic that some of us resist technology, when without scads of technology, a global forum like this would be impossible!)

It is not a case of resisting, have you thought it may be some of us dont have the skills,knowledge,software,finances to multi track, and after all shouldnt this be about the ukulele and not peoples skills at video editing etc, just my thoughts.

As i said earlier if it aint broke it dont need fixing, i still feel bonuses should be allowed whenever, but if it gives some people the hump, then do as what seems best ,maybe on some of the issues it wouldnt be a bad idea to do some polls to get what the general consensus is, i think the seasons have been rolling on brilliantly as they are, but hey what do i know (not a lot)

Dare I wax heretical about the bonuses? This is just an idea, open to be rejected out of hand or pondered on.

As the site already has a video section, why can't bonuses be posted there and a link (not a full video link taking up space on the main "seasons" pages) be made to the bonus video? It would certainly ensure that the new Seasons section is kept for entries for the seasons only - and I am not averse to that idea personally. If the new section (and the idea of a challenge rather than a competition) really does cause more people to post, then each week might become hugely unwieldy. Already it is getting difficult to find the time to listen to all the videos, if the new plans generate more.... and on top of that bonuses..... we might just kill the goose that lays the golden seasoned eggs.

Here endeth the heresy ;)

Top Bottom