Mainland USA CMM-CG Classic Mahogany Concert or

Barbablanca

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm considering a new Concert size Uke. Research seems to have narrowed it down to two: a Kanile'a Islander MC-4 Concert Ukulele Mahogany - or else a Mainland USA CMM-CG Classic Mahogany Concert

The Islander is a laminate and I believe the Mainland is solid wood, so the Islander is about €80 cheaper. But is there really that much difference at these over €100 but less than €200 price ranges?

Aesthetically, I prefer the less cluttered finish of the Islander. But in the end, it'll be the sound that'll seal the deal.

Judging by Youtube Videos, both seem to have that very bright sound that I am looking for to replace the rather dense, characterless sound of my current Lanikai.

So, any thoughts, please?

Mind you that I'm biased. Mike at Mainland is one of us and I like to support "the family" and I think solid is preferable over laminate but there is an argument for laminate too. So, since you're asking for advice. Pick up up a solid uke from Mike and you can't go wrong.

I agree with all the above posts recommending Mainland. The finish of the Mainlands is excellent. The rope binding really looks especially nice in person too. Pictures do not do it justice.

MODS: you may want to move this out of the marketplace forum.

Last edited:
Barbalanca, I own two Mainlands - Mangos - and they play nicely and look great. It has often been remarked that the rope binding as displayed on the Mainland website does little justice to its appearance in person. Very true.
The binding looks great in person and comes as a real suprise upon seeing it the first time. I purchased a Mainland cedar tenor for one of my grandsons. That instrument has one of the nicest sounds I've heard on any ukulele. I'm not knocking the Islander you refer - I've simply no experience with one. However, in general a solid wood instrument will give a more resonant sound than a laminate. Since you have experience with the Lanikai sound, and I concur with your general description having played many, (even my solid koa top Lanikai NK-T has a sound that is somewhat repressed by the instrument's build) why take the chance of going down a similar path with another laminate ukulele ?

MODS: you may want to move this out of the marketplace forum.

Why is that Doc? I thought the marketplace was for if you were selling or buying and I am in the market, so isn't this the right place? It's not just general Uke talk, is it? Just wondering...

Meanwhile, thanks for the remarks, so far. Bill Mc, the Islanders I have heard on Youtube had that bright sound that was so lacking from my LU21 Concert Black (Electricified).

I own six Mainland ukes and owned a seventh that I passed on to my son-in-law and I would certainly recommend one over any laminated uke.

John

Why is that Doc? I thought the marketplace was for if you were selling or buying and I am in the market, so isn't this the right place? It's not just general Uke talk, is it? Just wondering...

Meanwhile, thanks for the remarks, so far. Bill Mc, the Islanders I have heard on Youtube had that bright sound that was so lacking from my LU21 Concert Black (Electricified).

True, it's not general Uke Talk, but it is Buying Tips.

Either way, I'm a Mainland fan. I'm not big on the rope binding, but when I'm playing I don't have to look at it (much).

It appeared to me you were seeking information, not asking to buy a uke directly from someone here. But if you are wanting to buy one of these ukes from someone here, then you are in the right forum.

Hi all,

I'm considering a new Concert size Uke. Research seems to have narrowed it down to two: a Kanile'a Islander MC-4 Concert Ukulele Mahogany - or else a Mainland USA CMM-CG Classic Mahogany Concert

The Islander is a laminate and I believe the Mainland is solid wood, so the Islander is about €80 cheaper. But is there really that much difference at these over €100 but less than €200 price ranges?

Aesthetically, I prefer the less cluttered finish of the Islander. But in the end, it'll be the sound that'll seal the deal.

Judging by Youtube Videos, both seem to have that very bright sound that I am looking for to replace the rather dense, characterless sound of my current Lanikai.

So, any thoughts, please?

True, it's not general Uke Talk, but it is Buying Tips.

Either way, I'm a Mainland fan. I'm not big on the rope binding, but when I'm playing I don't have to look at it (much).

I'd thought "Buying Tips" was a better place for the post, too. Just my 2 cents.:)

Last edited:
yep, moving this to Buying Tips Berni, good luck with your purchase mate :)

Ah, OK Doc. I see what you mean, I was not directly asking " Can anyone here sell me one of these?" I just thought the subject matter deserved to be here, but if my phrase above is the strict letter of the law in this section, then, yes, it should be moved. Thanks.

I do a bit of gigging in the local area and so I'd be thinking of adding a pick up of some kind (mike fitted inside or else an under saddle job) - so this might also be a factor in my decision. It was certainly why I bought the ill-fated TU 9E I have just returned see this thread:

So, having said that, I noticed on the site I was thinking of buying the Mainland from, they had an Ohana CK 20 CE. I found a video of that being played live and think it sounds great. In terms of price it is more expensive than the Islander, but cheaper than the Mainland and it already has a pick up built in.

So, dare I add another pig into the arena and ask if anyone knows how that compares?

Mims has the ohanas check them out on ebay but contact her directly..
I know eveyone here love Mainland that said I had a problem with fret size on my mainland traditional tenor , they were large compared to my other ukes and bothered my fingers. so I had them lowered .010 and rerounded.
put on a set of worth BM's, for sound It was then perfect really a nice mellow uke, one of the nicest sounding ukes I have played. It was now very playable but it cost a bit to get where I was comfortable with. Thought I had a keeper for sure , alas it developed another problem and Mike at mainland was great helping me resolve it. I would love to get another mahogany uke but my experience with this one left me with a fear of the wood. Odd as I have two Koa's that are fine.
So good luck in your choice.

Poppy, I'd gladly buy from Mimi, or the good folk in Hawaii.... except that the Customs and Tax people here would sting me for import duty and VAT (a complicated kind of sales tax) on anything from the States. It used to only apply to anything over $100, but now it's from $25. Grrrr. :mad: Between that and postage, it is nearly always cheaper to buy goods and instruments from European stores. Though this doesn't apply to services. I paid a lot less for a Mediterranean cruise by booking it via an agency in the US, than I would have paid here dealing directly with the Italian cruise line (go figure!).

Incidentally, my wife and daughter pushed for a cruise that year. I thought it'd be my idea of hell. But I have to say, I really enjoyed it! But that might be partly because I bought a wonderful Tsouras in Greece! ;)

Poppy, I'd gladly buy from Mimi, or the good folk in Hawaii.... except that the Customs and Tax people here would sting me for import duty and VAT (a complicated kind of sales tax) on anything from the States. It used to only apply to anything over $100, but now it's from $25. Grrrr. :mad: Between that and postage, it is nearly always cheaper to buy goods and instruments from European stores. Though this doesn't apply to services. I paid a lot less for a Mediterranean cruise by booking it via an agency in the US, than I would have paid here dealing directly with the Italian cruise line (go figure!).

Incidentally, my wife and daughter pushed for a cruise that year. I thought it'd be my idea of hell. But I have to say, I really enjoyed it! But that might be partly because I bought a wonderful Tsouras in Greece! ;)

Come to the UWC and pick one out in person ;)

Ah.... I wish.... I'll be in the middle of exam preparation and /or marking by then :( - Roll on retirement! ;)

Top Bottom