Is there such a Uke?

Uke Whisperer

Reaction score
Anyone know of a Tenor bodied Uke with a Concert scaled neck that is "commercially" (non-custom) available? ... or an enlarged bodied Concert?

I have OLD, relatively short and stubby fingers that won't make the stretch for Tenor scale. I'm looking for a little lower body resonance (for Low G) than with standard Concert. Does that make sense? If not, please share your thoughts. I can take them.

Thanks---

The Big Island Traditional Concert has a jumbo body which isn't that much smaller than my tenors.

I am not sure but Koaloha has built a uke or two that had a smaller scale with a bigger body. I do not think they do it regularly, might have only been a few built.

There was the Brüko Jumbo (see this thread for a picture compared to a 'regular' concert), but I think they stopped producing it.

Check out the Kamoa Grand concert

Worth BM's or Freemont blacklines. The low g on the worth is the slacker of the two I run a worth low g with c,e,a from a freemont set currently , have a very similar problem and these work great! BTW as Baz said the Honu traditional barely fits in a kala case ya have to help it in lol. My best sounding uke ever.

Aloha,
Check with Sprucehouse Ukuleles in Oregon. He makes a "Stage" model, a size between a Concert and a Tenor. Sounds intrigueing.....................

Thanks ALL for your responses! I've spent some time investigating each suggestion.
I hope to find some additional spec information, reviews and possibly sound samples of the Sprucehouse Stage Model and the Kepasa Gypsy Rose. They seem to "fit" what I'm looking for. Guess a "side" issue of UAS is that even when you know that you should try-out the instrument you think you want, there comes this deep down voice telling you "not to worry, just do it"! Well okay, but if I do go ahead, at least I'll spend time researching as much as I can first!

There's a Fluke style DS Gill listed on FMM right now that looks really nice.

Anyone know of a Tenor bodied Uke with a Concert scaled neck that is "commercially" (non-custom) available? ... or an enlarged bodied Concert?

I have OLD, relatively short and stubby fingers that won't make the stretch for Tenor scale. I'm looking for a little lower body resonance (for Low G) than with standard Concert. Does that make sense? If not, please share your thoughts. I can take them.

Thanks---

A concert scale is a concert scale no matter what size body the uke has. Sometimes a bigger or deeper body gives one the impression that a new found richness or bigger sound is possible. Really what is happening is the uke box starts to get boomy or a confused bass response. If that is what you like, OK, go for it. You could also lower the body resonance by tuning the uke a half step lower or trying different strings on your present uke. Also, a 12 fret to the body uke will also sound richer than a 14 fret because it sometimes put the bridge position in the center of the lower bout rather than closer to the sound hole, but this depends on the maker and other specifics. Good luck with your search.

A concert scale is a concert scale no matter what size body the uke has. Sometimes a bigger or deeper body gives one the impression that a new found richness or bigger sound is possible. Really what is happening is the uke box starts to get boomy or a confused bass response. If that is what you like, OK, go for it. You could also lower the body resonance by tuning the uke a half step lower or trying different strings on your present uke. Also, a 12 fret to the body uke will also sound richer than a 14 fret because it sometimes put the bridge position in the center of the lower bout rather than closer to the sound hole, but this depends on the maker and other specifics. Good luck with your search.

So, I think you are telling me not to waste time and money in hope of getting better Low G string response than I would get on a standard Concert with Low G string, right?
Thanks...

So, I think you are telling me not to waste time and money in hope of getting better Low G string response than I would get on a standard Concert with Low G string, right?
Thanks...

First thing I would do if I were you is to contact Dirk at Southcoast Ukuleles (look in the bulders section in the luthiers lounge). Tell him what you are trying to do and perhaps he can set you up with a set of strings to get you where you want to go. If that doesn't meet your needs, try some of the other suggestions offere in this tread.

Thanks---

you can get a Compass Rose production tenor with the 12 fret to body i have one and i love it..for the sound mostly..with the bridge lowered into the sweet spot ot the body it sounds real good..the necks are thinner too..i have old hands too..

it does not have to be a CR but i guess any tenor with the 12th fret to the body is what you are looking for..

Last edited:
you can get a Compass Rose production tenor with the 12 fret to body i have one and i love it..for the sound mostly..with the bridge lowered into the sweet spot ot the body it sounds real good..the necks are thinner too..i have old hands too..

it does not have to be a CR but i guess any tenor with the 12th fret to the body is what you are looking for..

A concert scale length is 15" make the distance to the 12 fret 7.5". A tenor scale length is 17" making the distance to the 12th fret 8.5". Because a uke has 12 frets to the body doesn't have anything to do with scale length. It only determines where the bridge falls on the top plate. If the OP wants the concert scale, then a CR will be too long for comfort.

Top Bottom