What is the best online ukulele dealer?

If anyone has ever ordered a uke from musicguymic can you tell me how much extra padding or w/e he puts in the box to protect it on its journey?

My ukulele came in its hard case then wrapped in packing paper again and put into a tough cardboard box. It seemed more than enough to protect the ukulele. I don't really remember too many of those packing peanuts though.. Maybe I'm forgetting. All I know is that mine came in quickly and safely.

Thanks! He may be the best person to order from.

I've purchased from both alternatetuning, Elderly & MGM. Customer service before and after purchase from all three have been excellent. Not sure if Mike Atkins at alternatetunings is selling ukes anymore. I think just accessories & repair work. MGM & Mike A. will both send you instruments properly set up with some changes (strings, tuners).

Regarding packaging for shipping. Double boxed or cased. Stuffing to protect the inner box/case.

Regarding pricing. No real significant difference. My 1st choices between the three would be MGM or alternatetunings. Uke specific people who are into what they do beyond just being a business.

musicguymic does have great service. i had something wrong with my pickup and he fixed it for free. even returned it without me having to pay for shipping. absolutely great

musicguymic does have great service. i had something wrong with my pickup and he fixed it for free. even returned it without me having to pay for shipping. absolutely great

how did you contact musicguymic? I tried asking him questions through email, but he did not respond.

i got my uke from ebay, dunno who off but he packed it in this hard cardboard in more hard cardboard... then inside it was in bubble stuff and then haad all shreaded cardboard LOL!!!

packing cost more than the uke -.-

when I bought my Pono from hawaiimusicsupply.com, they put the hard case it came with just in a box. No foam, padding, or anything soft to protect it. I'm hoping the ko'olau case was good enough.

Hi
May I ask for latest update on these online sellers? I'd love to research to get my 2nd Uke by Thanksgiving (or Christmas). Vietnam has lots and lots of Shops making and selling ukuleles but I'd like to get one from a well-regard brand (also for collection purpose) and for branded ukes, we don't have that many options here in vietnam. So, any good recommendation willbe greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Wow! Reviving a 9 year old thread......

Mim gets good recommends, HMS gets good recommends, SUS gets good recommends - look around at all the NUD postings to get an idea for yourself.

Regarding brands, what price range? - Kala, Ohana, Mainland, RISA, Baton Rouge, Pono, just some of the cheaper end manufacturers

Hi
May I ask for latest update on these online sellers? I'd love to research to get my 2nd Uke by Thanksgiving (or Christmas). Vietnam has lots and lots of Shops making and selling ukuleles but I'd like to get one from a well-regard brand (also for collection purpose) and for branded ukes, we don't have that many options here in vietnam. So, any good recommendation willbe greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Your best bets...
https://www.theukulelesite.com/
http://mimsukes.com/
http://www.ukerepublic.com/

Wow! Reviving a 9 year old thread......

Mim gets good recommends, HMS gets good recommends, SUS gets good recommends - look around at all the NUD postings to get an idea for yourself.

Regarding brands, what price range? - Kala, Ohana, Mainland, RISA, Baton Rouge, Pono, just some of the cheaper end manufacturers

I'll have around $500 for this upgrade so i'm looking for something that I can play for quite a while (a long while :p)

HMS: Andrew and his team take care of the customer. And amazing video resources to hear the instrument you're considering being well played!

I'll only mention the places I've bought from that I recommend -- not the one I don't recommend.

uke-fan.com doesn't get mentioned, but I've bought four times from them -- they have a limited selection, but excellent service, and free shipping starts at $100.01

theukulelesite.com has served me extremely well in the past; they now seem to be busier than ever, which has affected pre-sale communications, in my experience. But if you know what you want, that won't matter.

mimsukes was great the one time I bought from her; she has some brands that theukulelesite does not carry (as they have some that she does not sell)

+1 for Mim She was responsive and shipped my Ohana out in two days with a tracking number.

I've had good luck with Caramel (on Amazon and EBay) too, inexpensive Ukes that play well.

For international customers like you and me, definitely Hawaii Music Supply / The Ukulele Site. They make sure that only well made ukes get shipped, they set them up for best playability and intonation, and they are the only store I know of that offers free international shipping (on instruments over $800 USD). Instead of paying like a hundred dollars extra for shipping, you can invest that in a better instrument.

As for instruments in your price range, I'd recommend Pono, KoAloha Opio, and Romero Creations, or upgrade to a Hawaiian made instrument from KoAloha, Kanilea, or Kamaka.

For international customers like you and me, definitely Hawaii Music Supply / The Ukulele Site. They make sure that only well made ukes get shipped, they set them up for best playability and intonation, and they are the only store I know of that offers free international shipping (on instruments over $800 USD). Instead of paying like a hundred dollars extra for shipping, you can invest that in a better instrument.

As for instruments in your price range, I'd recommend Pono, KoAloha Opio, and Romero Creations, or upgrade to a Hawaiian made instrument from KoAloha, Kanilea, or Kamaka.

Thank you for all recommendation!! For me, choosing a ukulele is pretty much the hardest purchase I've tried. Everything sounds so nice in the hand of experts haha. From the search, I narrowed down my options to: Koaloha Opio concert Spruce Top Acacia, Koaloha Opio concert Acacia (I love the look of this uke!), and Pono ACD Acacia concert Deluxe, Pono AC Acacia Concert (cos I love satin finish)..... I have until roughly Oct/early Nov to decide so..... headache til then hahaha.

From the search, I narrowed down my options to: Koaloha Opio concert Spruce Top Acacia, Koaloha Opio concert Acacia (I love the look of this uke!), and Pono ACD Acacia concert Deluxe, Pono AC Acacia Concert (cos I love satin finish).

All good choices. Just be aware that KoAloha Concerts have friction tuners. While some people like them, I find them very hard to tune precisely. HMS will change them to Gotoh UPT tuners for a small upcharge. They look similar, but hold the strings much better. You won't have this issue with Pono, as they come with geared tuners.

Here's my vote for Mim's Ukes. It's always a pleasure, never a hassle. She's a master at setups too.
I also have to throw in for Mainland Ukes. Mike is very good, he treats each customer with professionalism and politeness. And Mainland is one of the nicest Chinese ukes you can buy. I have a friend who sold her Pono and kept her Mainland, and it wasn't over money or alcohol!

Top Bottom