Elderly Instruments

thylton

Reaction score
I am considering buying a Lanikai LU-21C from Elderly with their "expert setup".Does anyone have experience or an opinion about Elderlys' setup? I hear HMS, Uke Republic, and MIM suggested a lot but never Elderly.

thylton

Elderly has been getting into ukes a bit more heavily only of late. They have been a premiere guitar dealer for a long time and they have a very good shop as well. My guess is that they would do a very good job of setup on the uke. The guitars I have purchased from them have been setup very well.

I ordered a uke (an 'uke) from them last February. There were some setup issues (buzzing), but they tried very hard to make everything right. I've purchased mandolins from them and they were fine.

I think that since we're a uke (an 'uke) community, we support the uke sellers. If Elderly had a uke (an 'uke) that I wanted that nobody else had, I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again. (end of a uke/an 'uke)

If you can visit Elderly in person (I don't know where you live) and can try out the ukes, that's always the way to go, at least for starters. It must be really neat to play a group of ukes and choose the one that "speaks" to you.

Last edited:
I've purchased 2 entry level ukes and the Yamaha Guitalele from Elderly and they were all set up perfectly. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

I will always say buy from mim, mainland, Uke republic, HMS, But a fun fact; Stan the owner is a pretty big uke fan, as him pictured in the middle with a blue shirt and beige jacket holding an old uke HERE
Also half of the Hefftones works their. They know ukes and actually care about them, unlike some big stores
Still buy from UU members when at all possible

I am considering buying a Lanikai LU-21C from Elderly with their "expert setup".Does anyone have experience or an opinion about Elderlys' setup? I hear HMS, Uke Republic, and MIM suggested a lot but never Elderly.

thylton

That LU 21 is an extremely cheap plywood uke. Don't expect too much from Elderly or anyone else on this. There is only so much one can do with it. If I were Elderly, I would quit selling these kinds of low end instruments. This is the type of thing that can potentially give a great high end company a bad name.

That LU 21 is an extremely cheap plywood uke. Don't expect too much from Elderly or anyone else on this. There is only so much one can do with it. If I were Elderly, I would quit selling these kinds of low end instruments. This is the type of thing that can potentially give a great high end company a bad name.

:agree: That's probably what happened with the Riptide that I bought in February. Before sending it back to Elderly, I took it to my local guitar shop. They said it wasn't worth fixing. (I think I paid about $ 140 for it.) I ended up sending it back to Elderly and they tinkered with it some more, but, yes "there is only so much one can do with it".

Last edited:
I have searched for suggestions for good first ukes for begineers and the LU 21 is always on the list. Not all of us have the finances to justify spending a lot for a uke when we don't even know if we will continue playing.

I have searched for suggestions for good first ukes for begineers and the LU 21 is always on the list. Not all of us have the finances to justify spending a lot for a uke when we don't even know if we will continue playing.

:agree: I agree with this, too, but remember that a new player may well be discouraged by the tonal properties of a "beginner" uke, especially if it isn't set up in top condition. See John's (OldePhart's) comment (# 13) in the Ukulele Beginners section thread entitled "Buying uke for a child" - realizing that we are not talking here about buying a uke for a child, but the principles remain the same.

We have strayed a bit from your initial question. Sorry. We tend to do that.

Last edited:

As a suggestion
Is 225 to 350 too much to justify for a nice solid wood Uke? I ask that because you step Way up in quality, playability, and gives you a much better chance at success and enjoyment. The brand Pono comes to mind. Very nice solid wood Uke that is easy to resell in case you decide to stop playing.
Take a look at http://www.theukulelesite.com/ they have tons of videos that demo various brands and sizes.

Good luck

Elderly has been my local music store since 1973, when I started playing guitar. I've seen them grow to what they are today. I've purchased many instruments from them over the years and have had work done on instruments by their luthiers (the ones who do the set-ups). I would trust them as much as the fine uke dealers that you mentioned, without a doubt. They absolutely know their stuff. I've never had an issue with them in 39 years! Can't say that about many stores.

i bought a kamoa $490 soprano from elderly in early 2012 it was not set up. i sent it back.

hms sets up even inexpensive instruments, and only sells ukes. ive bought 5 ukuleles from them...never a setup issue.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukuele-market/vintage-used-blem-specials.html

for the price of the lanakai, here are some better options. deep discounts on solid wood. if you need suggestions, just ask. we're all exceptionally good at spending other people's money lol

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions. Skinny Money McGee, I appreciate your concern about me buying an inferior uke. I am a 64 yo living on a small income and would love to have better uke, but at this time spending that much is not possible.

Thanka again

Hello everyone,
Few weeks ago I purchased a inexpensive $15 uke I have been playing around with it since, and I really like it. Although it is (almost) a toy device, that unique uke audio can allready be observed.
Since I like it so much, I now want a "real" uke. PLease any advice or suggestions?

Since you are balancing price with quality, I would have absolutely no hesitation in suggesting this all wooden ukulele:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIM-Ohana-S...129?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c9999511

You would be happy with the tone, quality and set up of this for years to come.

thylton

Hello thylton, did you ever make a decision about which ukulele to purchase ?

Last edited:
Not to steal the thread.....

But I've been looking at a Kala KA-CEM on the Elderly site that looks like a good buy....again for a beginner that may or may not be a long term player and someone that's not willing to spend big bucks for a transient (possibly) hobby. From what I've read, both ukes (the Lanikai and the Kala) will be good starter instruments, but for an additional $15 I wonder if the Kala isn't the "better" buy.

I order strings and books etc. from Elderly and they have great service..but they are a music store guitars banjos etc..The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) is a Ukulele Store only..lots of uke knowledge and players..

so i would go with HMS..but this only my 2 cents..

FYI, Stan Werbin, who owns Elderly Instruments, is big into ukes. That was/is his first love. The luthiers who set up the instruments there are some of the best in the country. Don't know why a previous poster would say their uke was not set-up. Maybe not to the exact way they play. They all are set-up unless they can't be ( i.e. the toy types). If that's the case, it will state it in the description. I definitely support the uke sites like HMS and Mims.....they're great. But don't discount Elderly.

Elderly has been my local music store since 1973, when I started playing guitar. I've seen them grow to what they are today. I've purchased many instruments from them over the years and have had work done on instruments by their luthiers (the ones who do the set-ups). I would trust them as much as the fine uke dealers that you mentioned, without a doubt. They absolutely know their stuff. I've never had an issue with them in 39 years! Can't say that about many stores.

Wow if i had all the instruments you have i would for sure be an Elderly customer..

Top Bottom