What quality solid top / laminate side & back tenor ukes are out there?

optofonik

Reaction score
I've read a lot of general opinions on "all solid" vs "all lam" vs "solid top / lam sides & back" and I've made the decision to try and find a solid top / lam back & side tenor.

Some opinions led me to believe that at a certain price point there is usually little difference between any of the above, all solid, laminate, or combination. I'm wondering what's available in what price ranges where there is a difference.

Perhaps as a starting point I should say up front that, although I'm not a fan of spruce tops I am open minded and, also, someone has recommended the solid Acacia top Kala KA-GAT on sale at HMS of which I could find no opinions about on the internet.

Tone-wise, I'm looking for a full sounding ukulele with good sustain, good projection but not overly bright, woody, but not boxy. Something that will sound good when my finger-picking technique is where it should be (and as best as it can whilst learning) but will still sound good during my mostly strumming phase.

I've already got a soprano and a concert made by Makala, both laminates, for camping and motorcycle rides but now I want a decent quality tenor that is low maintenance for my dry climate. I can and probably will get a solid one day but not today. Today I want a ukulele constructed with a solid top and laminate sides & back.

BTW, I don't have a uke store near me and videos on the internet are clearly not a good way to compare sound quality between models. HMS is who I'll be buying from (they've special ordered for me before when my pineapple wasn't in stock). HMS has a 7 day return policy so I can try a uke out but the shipping cost for returns is something I'd like to avoid.

I'm sure I left something out but you're probably bored reading this already, so I'll stop so you can post you thoughts. I'm looking forward to hearing them.

Thanks,

Mick

Very happy with my Kala KA-KTG-CT , which is solid cedar top, laminated koa back & sides. Very nice uke, and the price was decent. I don't think they make them anymore, but I'm not sure.

Very happy with my Kala KA-KTG-CT , which is solid cedar top, laminated koa back & sides. Very nice uke, and the price was decent. I don't think they make them anymore, but I'm not sure.

Rich, thanks for the response. I've read a number of posts from folks who agree with you about the KA-KTG-CT. As you stated and looking at the Kala website it does appear they are no longer produced. I'm definitely looking to buy new and, of course, still in production. When the time comes to buy a solid I'll look into options in the used market, however.

I have the Ohana CK-50WG. It's a solid cedar top with laminated willow sides & back and is fantastic. It's loud and warm and has excellent sustain. Ohana also has the TK-50WG, the tenor version.

A guitar playing friend tried a Lehua Classic tenor. He really misses the two other strings, so he wants $250 for a solid acacia and a nice padded travel bag. He paid 369 for the uke and 30 for the custom made bag. The bag is #1 of 3. I have 2 and 3. If it were not that I already have one, I would buy it myself. It is not the uke's defective, the owner really missed the two bottom E-A strings.

I have a Ohana TK-20 that's mahagony. I think it's one of the best bargains out there.

That Ohana CK50WG is quite beautiful - have a friend who has the soprano.

I got a Cordoba tenor acoustic electric solid Mahogany top that I really like the sound of. about 200.00 on amazon when I bought it. Nice padded gig bag came with it.

Top Bottom