Which ukulele should I buy?

Indiecat

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good quality tenor ukulele for myself and have ended up with three front runners

1: Anuenue Papa III E tenor uke with pickup - $369 (from my local shop)

2: Lanikai LU-21TE tenor uke with pickup - $299 (from my local store)

3: Kala KA-TE tenor uke with pickup - $299 (from my local store)

In your opinion, which one would you go for and could you recommend others in the same price range?

Good quality? I would pick a solid top instrument before an instrument with a pickup. Please keep it to ONE thread. You'll make the moderators unhappy with multiple threads on the same question.

Anthony

Yeah, is there a reason you need a pickup or is it just something you think would be nice to have?

Since you are in a position to try all three at your local shop, I think you'd be the best judge of which one is most suited for you.

Here you might get someone who says "I have this uke and love it" without ever having played the other two.

I agree with these two posts.

I'll add that you've committed enough dough to get a new solid body uke, without a pickup, such as Pono, for as little as 100 clams more.

Cheaper than your price point, justified as a beach uke, and slightly more than your price point, a solid bodied and able playing true instrument.

At your price point, though, you're dating the clarinet player rather than the cheerleader.

(And the cheerleader wants to go out with you)

Last edited:
I've seen Pono mahogany refurbs and microblems go for around $230-something to $240-something on ebay and HawaiiMusicSupply. The ones from ebay are either from Ko'olau or a ukulele tech that has worked for one of the K-uke makers for many years. Many include a hard case for this price.

HMS has no microblem tenors at the moment, but here's an example of the concert.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-mc-micro-blem-s-all-solid-mahogany-concert-w-case.html

If every guy felt about my wife like I feel about her, they would all want to marry her. I have a couple of acquaintances who say that if every guy felt about her like they do, no one would want to marry her ! I am in that second group when it comes to Lanaki ukuleles

Those are some good options for an affordable acoustic-electric.
Depends on what you're looking for I guess.
The Anuenue has a better build quality (cleaner finish, etc) than the other two. But all are good value options.

I guess play each one at your local store and decide :)

anthonyg said:
Please keep it to ONE thread. You'll make the moderators unhappy with multiple threads on the same question.
Rubbish.
Speaking from personal experience as a forum moderator (and administrator) myself on other forums, it makes the moderators more unhappy when members "backseat moderate" like you just did. It is a very poor forum etiquette, and could be discouraging for newer members.

Last edited:
Rubbish.
Speaking from personal experience as a forum moderator (and administrator) myself on other forums, it makes the moderators more unhappy when members "backseat moderate" like you just did. It is a very poor forum etiquette, and could be discouraging for newer members.

Hey, don't blame me for the OP going missing. It was just a gentle reminder to the OP as it can be difficult to keep track of the same question over multiple threads. Of course I'm going to point the finger at the mods and not myself.:p

Anthony

Top Bottom