Soprano Long Neck or Standard?

Sometimes we have preconceptions which are correct, and other times they need to be reconsideredin the light of emperical evidence. Four different ukuleles were used for this comparison of nut width and string separation. Lehua soprano 35.52mm - 10.13mm between strings. Lehua concert 36.47 - 10.00 Leolani Long Neck Soprano 38.2 , but only 9.71 between strings. Lehua Tenor 36.00 - 9.67 between strings.

Checking the string tensions on the Aquila chart shows there is not a big difference in tensions between the different sizes if the proper strings are used. What messes with the tension is trying to put tenor strings on a soprano or a concert. The difference between concert and soprano strings is interesting. Those who tune ADF#B because they sound, can accomplish the same thing by putting concert strings on their soprano and staying in GCEA. A LNS sounds like a soprano because of the volume of space in a figure 8 body. A pineapple significantly changes volume and there is a noticeable sound difference. There is a tone difference with an arched back compared to a flat back. Shawn Hines (Bloodworks) put a kidneybean shaped sound hole at the waist. I have no soprano or concert that can touch it for tone and volume except the Ukiyo Smeck Vita. Fret spacing on a LNS and a standard soprano is an additional 6mm at the 5th fret of the concert or LNS. That's 1/4 inch in the States. Only one more? Pardon us who smile as we read that.
We are remembering when we said the same thing.

Only one more? Pardon us who smile as we read that.
We are remembering when we said the same thing.

Hahah, I knew someone would say something about that. But I really mean it!! :p
Although I have to admit, that I was thinking I could get a Mainland, a Martin S1 and a couple different colors of Dolphins for less than what it looks like a new Kamaka is going to cost me.
...must...resist........

Over the years of playing instruments I've found that it takes me a few weeks to fully adjust to a new one. During that time I get a better feel for how much it suits me and my playing. A problem with over customization is that an instrument is a sort of organic whole. I'll start to think that - hypothetically - a side port, or a cedar top, or an extra string is what I need. I'll then design what is ultimately a Frankeninstrument in my head. If I get it built, instead of ending up with the instrument of my dreams I end up with an expensive horror that I can't even try to sell. I haven't done this with a uke, but I have more than once with other hobbies.

When you gig instruments get lost and stolen. They get knicked and banged. They get plugged into amps where the amp and pickup matters more for the sound than the uke. All the fine subtleties of sound that we obsess about get lost between the pickup, the rest of the band, the acoustics of the room and the sound settings. Ironically, when gigging is when the perfection of sound is least important. On the other hand, when gigging you need the best possible intonation and the most possible reliability. The "best" long neck soprano for this in my opinion is the Anuenue Papa II. It's a cheap, laminate, easily replaceable uke. Workmanship is outstanding. Mine has the best intonation of the several ukes that I own and its one of the cheapest. It doesn't have the brightness you want, but with an amp just turn up the treble. Nothing wrong with a more expensive uke, but gigging needs are different.

Aloha Katy,
Every ukulele has a different voice, just like humans... even if is made by the same builder the same time and same materials...It's the luck of draw, so choose wisely when you buy and
try all the ukes in the same model and pick the best sounding one....too many variances in the building process... he he as for price, there are gems in the lower priced ukes if like I said
before you choose wisely.... I would like to hope that more experienced builders build a more consistant sounding ukuleles, but one can never tell.. good luck in your search, and Happy strummings

Yes, at one time we all meant it,too. You mean you would not accept it if someone gave you a ukulele that only needs a nut and a bridge glued back in place?. I had a very nice mahogany concert given to me because it needed a smidge of work.

There is only one coloured uke which comes with a written 10 year warranty which excludes activities such as canoe/kayak paddle- booster seat - or table tennis paddle.
SHS International is the importerand distributor of the Minnow. Check who is a distributor for the 97317 area and beyond. :~)

I would not turn away any instrument given to me for free. Except a piano, and that's only because I already have one and it's a pretty huge instrument to have the room for more than one. But even then I would still think about it. :p
So, yeah.

I have one more question about specifications:
Usually I see the pickup jack in the very middle of the bottom of the instrument, but sometimes I see it offset on the bottom. The latter makes sense to me because it seems like the hanging cable would pull less, and the angle would mean less wear and tear on the cable. I really like that idea, but is there some reason more people don't do it that way? Once the hole is drilled there's no going back, so what is the argument for one jack location over the other?

I could see that maybe I'd be annoyed if I want to sit with it propped on my leg and the jack is in the way. Hmm, I think I just talked myself into having it on the very bottom in the middle. Still, I'd like to hear comments if anyone has any.

Top Bottom