What to buy, what to buy...

tcHls1

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm in quite a difficult ukulele situation here. A couple years back I bought a Kamaka HF-3, a wonderful instrument that I can't seem to put down. When I got it, I wanted a completely acoustic instrument, so I opted out on a pickup for it. Now, though, there are all sorts of cheaper electric ukuleles to mess around with.

So what it comes down to is this: I just got a MacBook because my computer died on me, and garageband has REALLY been tempting me. So I've decided to get a cheap electric uke, in other words a Risa Uke-Solid or an Eleuke Peanut. I know that the Peanut is supposed to be pretty awful, and I really want the Risa, but my spending money's limited after buying a laptop. What I want to know from you all is, is the Peanut actually worth it for the money? The Risa's look so cool and clearly sound better, but if I were to go for that, I'd have to get the soprano since it's cheaper, even though I play tenors. My thoughts at the moment are to opt for the cheaper Peanut (I know, it's also a soprano) and then in the future when I've got the money go for the Risa tenor. Is this a bad idea, should I just forget the peanut and settle for a smaller neck Risa?
Thanks for the feedback, sorry for the long post!

I'd say go with mic-ing the Kamaka as well. A solid bodied electric might be easier to record, but it isn't going to give you the warm sound of real wood vibrating.

If you're going to record vocals as well, you'll have to have a mic anyway.

Top Bottom