Does the UU Contests Heading discourage members from sharing their videos?

While the Seasons are technically a competition, I don't know how many of us think about it that way. I enjoy making videos, but I have no illusions of ever winning anything, unless it's one of the random drawing weeks. It's just a fun activity for me, and I think for most of us.

Agreed. It's more like a weekly challenge.

Have just seen some new members videos posted in the Videos and Links part of the forum.
They were fantastic and would have gone down really well in the SEASONS.
Many 'Senior' Members rarely or never participate in the Seasons.
When the move was made to make this a Sub-Forum I was disappointed that it was not made a totally different Forum without the use of the word 'competition'.
I haven't been around that long but feel more that I am sharing my clips with friend's rather than competing.
I know that there is the Videos and Links part so no one is missing out and not being able to share because of the "C" word.
I guess it's because I'd like to see as many Seasonistas as possible.
Wondering what others think.
Cheers, Briz.

I'm fairly new to the Seasons, and I'd rather see it as just a sharing and fun thing to be involved in than a competition. I agree, that more people would tend to get involved if it weren't a competition.

Just thought of something else: I think of the Seasons as a prompt (like writing prompts for bloggers and such). It gets you to thinking of what the next song/video is that you're going to do when you can't seem to come up with something yourself.

CountryMouse

Last edited:
I have also noticed that even though a video is posted to the "contests"
it is also often posted to the "Video links" and I suspect this is because perhaps
it is to get more exposure... or to let other people know that the "seasons"
exist.

I'm curious myself on why people do that? Letting others know about the seasons seems like the modest answer

I've just started posting in both places because people who know me thought I had totally stopped making videos because they don't check the Seasons or competitions boards, but they do check the Videos and Links board.

CountryMouse

I've just started posting in both places because people who know me thought I had totally stopped making videos because they don't check the Seasons or competitions boards, but they do check the Videos and Links board.

CountryMouse

I often post in both places because when I only post in the Seasons section, I rarely get any comments at all. Maybe one or two, whereas the Videos and Links posts usually garner 4 or 5 comments. (The current week is the exception - I've had 4 YouTube comments, and at least 3 in the Seasons, but not a one in the Videos and Links section.)

-Kurt​

Interesting question and discussion here. I think the contests encourage as many people as they discourage. I don't know if I would've ever made a uke video without the extra incentive of possibly winning a prize. That being said, now that I'm in the habit of posting videos, I plan to keep at it as long as I have time and energy. The Seasons' weekly challenges are perfect for me---they force me to make time and save energy to learn a new song (sometimes a new style or even a new language) every week.

Happily, the Seasons have continued to attract new participants as the months have passed. If no one new shows up for a month or two, we might need to worry a little. Even then, a little "promotion" in a few other forums (Uke Talk, Videos & Links, and Ukulele Beginners spring to mind) should quickly get more people interested and, hopefully, involved.

I often post in both places because when I only post in the Seasons section, I rarely get any comments at all. Maybe one or two, whereas the Videos and Links posts usually garner 4 or 5 comments. (The current week is the exception - I've had 4 YouTube comments, and at least 3 in the Seasons, but not a one in the Videos and Links section.)

-Kurt​

I'm the opposite. I rarely get any responses from posts in the videos forum but usually get a few from the seasons.

-Kurt​

Very interesting Kurt...I believe the community aspect of the season is to post videos and to encourage others by making positive comments about their videos. The reason I have not made videos for the last couple of seasons is not because I can't make a video but because I could not and did not feel like making comments to people's awesome videos. Personally, I felt very selfish to post my video without encouraging others...It's easy to comment on only a few of the "Best Videos" but every video is good.

Very interesting Kurt...I believe the community aspect of the season is to post videos and to encourage others by making positive comments about their videos. The reason I have not made videos for the last couple of seasons is not because I can't make a video but because I could not and did not feel like making comments to people's awesome videos. Personally, I felt very selfish to post my video without encouraging others...It's easy to comment on only a few of the "Best Videos" but every video is good.

Thats very noble of you Dan (hope that doesnt sound patronizing, im being sincere :) ) i wouldnt worry about it mate if you dont comment on every video, people only leave comments by choice, there is no rule that you have to leave a comment, there are people who have never said thanks or acknowledged when i have left comments, but it is perfectly fine, i am not going to lose sleep or get the hump, it is my choice to leave comments if i so choose to, dont not take part because you feel obligated to leave comments, (Hopefully) no one will take it personnel, well they shouldnt, jump back in mate.

It seems to me that the issue isn't necessarily with any forum but, with the word "contest". I feel that the world's opinion of contests, in general is changing. I saw several stories within the last year of an athlete stopping to help another athlete that was either hurt or unable to continue. That athlete gave up his or her chance to win because, he or she unselfishly helped another. This forum site is probably one of the best sites that I have seen as far as people behaving themselves. It definitely has the Aloha spirit. We say that we are one big happy family and that it's more about fun and friendship than anything else. That's the Aloha spirit. But then we use the word "contest" which goes against the grain as far as I see it. I think what we are seeing is the stirring of Aloha spirit. So yes, I think the word "contest" does turn people off and keep them away but, I don't think we can have it both ways.

I also just posted a new "challenge" on the contest board and I purposely used the word "challenge" instead of "contest" in hopes of attracting more people.

Last edited:
Thats very noble of you Dan (hope that doesnt sound patronizing, im being sincere :) ) i wouldnt worry about it mate if you dont comment on every video, people only leave comments by choice, there is no rule that you have to leave a comment, there are people who have never said thanks or acknowledged when i have left comments, but it is perfectly fine, i am not going to lose sleep or get the hump, it is my choice to leave comments if i so choose to, dont not take part because you feel obligated to leave comments, (Hopefully) no one will take it personnel, well they shouldnt, jump back in mate.

Dave, you are a fountain of encouragements and sorry for not saying thank you. I don't say it because it appears on your youtube mail and makes you look at my video again. To prove that I appreciate your posts, I looked up lilt since I had no idea what it meant! LOL

Dave, you are a fountain of encouragements and sorry for not saying thank you. I don't say it because it appears on your youtube mail and makes you look at my video again. To prove that I appreciate your posts, I looked up lilt since I had no idea what it meant! LOL
Thanks Dan, but seriously you dont have to thank me you have been kind enought to take the time to leave comments yourslef which i greatly appreciate, i know life can get in the way and not everyone is inclined to leave comments, i personally love to receive comments to me it is my prize (as lets be honest i aint never gonna win a week). But i appreciate your thanks, i was just trying to say please dont feel obligated to comment and dont let it stop you entering, i think we all get on pretty well on here and any mishaps tend to get sorted pretty quickly and a group hug soon happens :) look forward to seeing you back in the seasons soon ,take care and all the best :)

I think some shouldn't share their videos....hahaha

I think you're talking about me. Thanks for your joke, Dave.

Please post something for us next week---I'm hosting and I look forward to seeing your video. :)

I've also been poor at making comments - I think mostly because I try to batch them, and then get sidetracked before I'm done, and forget to. (I did just see that multi-quote message thing though - have to try it out...)

Overall, the quality of the videos is so good, I can't always think of anything to say.

The only problems I have with videos is when I'm watching overdubbed/ highly produced results that I may like, but can't do. And no matter how much I like most of them, I think they are a completely different category than the straight recording of person/people with instrument(s), so I couldn't/wouldn't compare the straight recording with the highly produced result anyway.

I love the seasons and I do think sometimes we tend to over analyse this stuff.
For me I take what I want from the seasons and leave what I don't behind.
What do I get from the seasons?
1/ Inspiration (Hey I love that song, I guess I'll try it)
2/ Tips on technique (I love Krabbers technique, I think I'll try and replicate that)
3/ A right good laugh (TCK not taking himself too seriously and producing some great videos and Sillydave doing his Popeye impersonation)
4/ Jealousy (Jeez that Tasmanian guy is just too good I'll never be able to replicate THAT.)
5/ Annoyance (I'll keep that one to myself)
6/ AND FINALLY The joy of sharing music (Everyone)
Most of all its just plain and simple fun. LONG LIVE THE SEASONS.

So lets not have too many ......... :rulez:

:cool:

Top Bottom