Coming from guitar, first uke, $300 to spend - sooooo many choices!

keithb

Reaction score
I'm a guitar player looking to buy my first ukulele - I'd like to keep it under $300 or so. I think I want a concert size, especially since I'll likely be tuning a half-step down to match my guitar tuning.

So now the confusing part: there are a LOT of choices out there. I don't know how to decide which wood, which maker, and which model. There aren't many ukuleles in my local music shops, which means I can't really do much comparison in person.

Some options picked at random after much forum browsing:

Ohaha CK-35GS from Mim for $250
Ohana CK-38 from Mim for $260
Kala KA-GAC from HMS for $169 (will I regret the laminate back and sides?)
Mainland for $250 (but do I choose spruce, mahogany, or mango?)

But I don't really know which (if any) would be the best choice. Help!

As I confirmed Ohana lover I would advocate for Mim's CK38. The SK version of it is a classic, and the look of it is vintage and beautiful.

Any of those will be great ukes. I have a Ohana CK-20 which has laminate back and sides and there are no regrets.

I'd say go with your gut. You are buying from wonderful dealers so which ever one you get, they will treat you right. Besides, this probably won't be the only uke you buy!

I'm a guitar player looking to buy my first ukulele - I'd like to keep it under $300 or so. I think I want a concert size, especially since I'll likely be tuning a half-step down to match my guitar tuning.

You can't go wrong with any of those choices. The Kala will likely be the quietest -- I had an all solid acacia concert uke from them, and the tone was VERY mellow. I started on an Ohana SK-10. Loud and barky. A very uke-like sound in the old-time vaudeville vein. pdxuke, above, I think has a comparison on his soundcloud channel of the 38 and the 35, if that helps. Finally, I have three mainlands: a mahogany soprano, a mahogany banjo uke, and a cedar baritone, and I LOVE THEM. I have a cedar pineapple on the way.

But so, I think it comes down to aesthetics. Buying from any of those 3 vendors, you know you will have a well set-up instrument.

I wouldn't eliminate the laminate ukes from consideration. I was definitely more relaxed when we had to move ukes in and out of warm houses into the chilly outdoors. The laminate ukes are more hardy for those quick changes in temperature.

–Lori

I wouldn't eliminate the laminate ukes from consideration. I was definitely more relaxed when we had to move ukes in and out of warm houses into the chilly outdoors. The laminate ukes are more hardy for those quick changes in temperature.

–Lori

Thanks for the input. I think perhaps some of my prejudices based on my guitar playing are influencing me here - almost every solid wood guitar I've played has sounded better than a comparable laminiate model. I'm assuming the same holds true for ukulele, although I have nothing to base that assumption on.

Thanks for the input. I think perhaps some of my prejudices based on my guitar playing are influencing me here - almost every solid wood guitar I've played has sounded better than a comparable laminiate model. I'm assuming the same holds true for ukulele, although I have nothing to base that assumption on.

Depends on the laminate. For example, in soprano, the Martin OXK sounds great as does the Sprucehouse SO (hand built by an Oregon luthier) as does the Kiwaya KS1. And I just bought a Gretsch laminate soprano from the heritage line--and it sounds great!

Check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBNR-N1s-V0
When MGM did this blind comparison, nobody could tell which were laminate and which were solid body. The one that sounded the best was one that was much more expensive than most of the others tested, and it was a solid body. But the lower and moderately priced ukes were hard to tell if they were laminate or solid. People ended up just guessing.

–Lori

I've seen some Pono mahogany concerts go well within your price range, which I'd take before any on your list, although it's a good list. For a laminate, I like the Ohana with the rosewood body and cedar top....don't remember the model. The Kala with the rosewood body and solid spruce top is an awesome laminate uke as well and can be had at a great bargain.

So now the confusing part: there are a LOT of choices out there. I don't know how to decide which wood, which maker, and which model. There aren't many ukuleles in my local music shops, which means I can't really do much comparison in person.

why tune down a half-step? Is this to make it more like a guitar (I know nothing of tuning and what not, so I am curious)?

I love my redcedar mainland.

why tune down a half-step? Is this to make it more like a guitar (I know nothing of tuning and what not, so I am curious)?

I love my redcedar mainland.

It's not unusual for guitar players (including those I usually play with) to tune a half-step down from standard tuning. The idea is that it makes it easier to sing for those of us with low voices, although I'm half convinced it's just a "security blanket" :)

I'd go the Mainland Red Cedar concert. Fabulous attention to detail and sound for such a small price.

Check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBNR-N1s-V0
When MGM did this blind comparison, nobody could tell which were laminate and which were solid body. The one that sounded the best was one that was much more expensive than most of the others tested, and it was a solid body. But the lower and moderately priced ukes were hard to tell if they were laminate or solid. People ended up just guessing.

–Lori

This is awesome :)

However, the real question isn't whether the listener could tell the difference in a Youtube recording. Could the PLAYER tell the difference while he was playing them?

It's not unusual for guitar players (including those I usually play with) to tune a half-step down from standard tuning. The idea is that it makes it easier to sing for those of us with low voices, although I'm half convinced it's just a "security blanket" :)

are the chords the same as a regular tuned uke?

I ended up buying a like-new Ohana CK-35GS here on UU. Now comes the waiting :)

Top Bottom