Just ordered a new ukulele!

Very pretty ukelele, nice choice! How long did it take from when you placed the order until they actually shipped it?

I'm jealous you get to take group lessons, I think that sounds like a ton of fun! Keep us posted on how it goes!

You will have a blast. I take small-group lessons (this term there are just two of us!) at the Folk School of St. Louis, and there is a "Student Showcase" at a local music venue at the end of the fall I session (October) and the end of the winter session (March). I spent the entire fall I term dreading it and trying to think of a creative, never-been-used-before excuse to get out of it, but I was a brave girl and went ahead and had absolutely the best time (!). And yes, for sure, cool uke, neat grain. Congrats!

Thanks for the encouragement. This is definitely outside my comfort zone!

Very pretty ukelele, nice choice! How long did it take from when you placed the order until they actually shipped it?

I'm jealous you get to take group lessons, I think that sounds like a ton of fun! Keep us posted on how it goes!

Thanks! I placed my order on 1/1 and it was shipped on 1/9. Andrew said they were very busy. I emailed him once to check on it (because I was so excited) and he was very nice about it. I'm very pleased with their service and will definitely buy from them again.

Have fun and get a vid of the recital!

Thanks! I'm not guaranteeing a video, but we'll see...

Well, I had my first ukulele class tonight and said I'd give an update. Don't think I'm going to bother going back. I posted about it here, but to sum it up, it was a disappointment and I don't think I'll go back. The teacher said she LOVED ukulele, but kept on mentioning how it was a great way to move into guitar. She didn't even play a uke of her own -- it was one from the shop with the tag still hanging from it. Wish there was a better place to take lessons here in Minneapolis.

Bummer! Maybe there's a better class available, or even someone who does private lessons? I'm considering signing up for the UU paid courses, that may be a great option as well.

Thanks for listening to me kvetch! I couldn't find any other lessons locally, but I do have the UUU video membership. I will have to find a way to be more disciplined with those and then learn a bit more so I can join in at a group that meets at a local coffeehouse.

Sorry to hear about the lessons. Do you have a local group you can meet with? I bet that would be a great place to find the resources for lessons. Good luck with your search. In the meantime you have a beautiful uke to practice on.

Do you really need to take lessons? I've been playing for around 3 weeks only and spend a lot of time practicing using ebooks and youtube video lessons which give me a real kick. I've made a fair bit of progress in a short time. I also check in here regularly to see what the ukulele world is up to and this gives me inspiration too.

Sorry to hear about the lessons. Do you have a local group you can meet with? I bet that would be a great place to find the resources for lessons. Good luck with your search. In the meantime you have a beautiful uke to practice on.

Thanks! I do think it's a pretty uke, if I do say so myself, especially for the price.

There's a group that gets together at a coffee shop near-ish me. I plan to check it out after I get a few more skills under my belt.

Do you really need to take lessons? I've been playing for around 3 weeks only and spend a lot of time practicing using ebooks and youtube video lessons which give me a real kick. I've made a fair bit of progress in a short time. I also check in here regularly to see what the ukulele world is up to and this gives me inspiration too.

I'm not always so disciplined with learning things on my own when they don't come completely naturally. I also thought the lessons would be FUN and help me get a good start without bad habits. That said, I think I'm going to try to continue on my own and see what happens. I have my UUU membership, a copy of Ukulele for Dummies, access to the internet and my uke. What could go wrong other than some horribly embarrassing youtube moments? ; )

Well, I had my first ukulele class tonight and said I'd give an update. Don't think I'm going to bother going back. I posted about it here, but to sum it up, it was a disappointment and I don't think I'll go back. The teacher said she LOVED ukulele, but kept on mentioning how it was a great way to move into guitar. She didn't even play a uke of her own -- it was one from the shop with the tag still hanging from it. Wish there was a better place to take lessons here in Minneapolis.

Hi, teruterubouzu! Oh my goodness, I am so jealous you live in Minneapolis! My ukulele teacher is Danielle Anderson of Danielle Ate The Sandwich and she lives in Minneapolis. I live near Seattle, but take Skype lessons with Danielle and she is a WONDERFUL teacher (I used to be a teacher, so I am pretty picky!)! My Skype lessons with her are only $25 per hour (the very first one was $50 for the hour, but all lessons after the initial one are only $25 for an hour). I know she also teaches in person in Minneapolis. I feel that since I have started working with Danielle, my uke playing is really growing, and it's an amazing feeling to be able to play tunes that I love! I also enjoy working with Danielle so much because she really cares about you learning; she is also excellent at follow-up after lessons -- always wanting to answer whatever questions you have. :)

AND... you have us. Lot's of help available here!

'Tis true. This forum is amazing. I have already learned so much.

Hi, teruterubouzu! Oh my goodness, I am so jealous you live in Minneapolis! My ukulele teacher is Danielle Anderson of Danielle Ate The Sandwich and she lives in Minneapolis. I live near Seattle, but take Skype lessons with Danielle and she is a WONDERFUL teacher (I used to be a teacher, so I am pretty picky!)! My Skype lessons with her are only $25 per hour (the very first one was $50 for the hour, but all lessons after the initial one are only $25 for an hour). I know she also teaches in person in Minneapolis. I feel that since I have started working with Danielle, my uke playing is really growing, and it's an amazing feeling to be able to play tunes that I love! I also enjoy working with Danielle so much because she really cares about you learning; she is also excellent at follow-up after lessons -- always wanting to answer whatever questions you have. :)

That's really amazing. Do you think she is taking on any new students? Would you be able to share any information either in the thread or via PM? Thank you for chiming in with this lead on lessons.

I just ordered my second one yesterday. A soprano!

Awesome! What did you decide on? When do you expect it will arrive? I suppose you have a thread going on with that info.

I ordered another one too, but this one is for my boyfriend. It's this one Gretsch Solid Top Tenor Cutaway. I will get borrowing rights so I think I'm just as excited as he is. ;)

That's really amazing. Do you think she is taking on any new students? Would you be able to share any information either in the thread or via PM? Thank you for chiming in with this lead on lessons.[/QUOTE]

I think that the she taking new students, yes, you can reach her via her email at daniellesmagic@gmail.com. You could also reach her via YT on her channel, daniellesmagic, or via her web site, www.danielleatethesandwich.com. Again, I highly recommend working with her -- hope you get a chance to see for yourself how super she is -- you'll learn so much and have a ton of fun in the process! :)

Congrats on your new uke(s)!

Have to say I'm jealous of all you Statesiders, given that the prices you pay are roughly half what the same uke costs us in the UK!

I think I'll have to keep an eye out for when you guys sell up so I can pick up a nice secondhand uke at a decent price.......

I think that the she taking new students, yes, you can reach her via her email at daniellesmagic@gmail.com. You could also reach her via YT on her channel, daniellesmagic, or via her web site, www.danielleatethesandwich.com. Again, I highly recommend working with her -- hope you get a chance to see for yourself how super she is -- you'll learn so much and have a ton of fun in the process! :)

Thank you so much! I'm really excited about this.

Congrats on your new uke(s)!

Have to say I'm jealous of all you Statesiders, given that the prices you pay are roughly half what the same uke costs us in the UK!

I think I'll have to keep an eye out for when you guys sell up so I can pick up a nice secondhand uke at a decent price.......

If it makes you feel better, I'm jealous of you folks in the UK for pretty much everything other than ukes.

Last edited:
Another new uke!

It seems silly to start a new discussion for this so I'll just continue in my original thread.

I seem to have caught a bit of UAS and temporarily abated it by buying a uke as a gift. My partner in crime has been playing my ukulele almost as much as I have, so I decided he needed one of his own. After much thought, many viewings of videos and listening to sound clips, I bought him a Gretsch Solid Top Tenor Cutaway from HMS. Because he has a guitar background, I thought he'd have fun with low g tuning and the option to plug it into an amp. It arrived on Friday and is a gorgeous uke indeed. It sounds fantastic and is a lot of fun to play. Most importantly, he is having a great time with it.

I love this site because, without it, I never would have known what a tenor uke was, much less known to consider having it tuned differently. Thank you!

Top Bottom