Your invitation to the Seasons of the Ukulele!

some of the season themes are pretty specific - a particular band, or something. other times everything is pretty open and the choice of possible songs is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge. if you check out each week's theme on Saturday night, see if anything grabs you, if you are inspired you have the week to work something up, if not just see if the following week's theme is more tempting

if you can't work up a song in the time, you can always take a late vid to the misfits island, and say it was for X week but you're a bit late.

I might jump in and have a go in the near future even though I am a mere beginner. :)
Do you think that this microphone would be ok for recording?

Do I have to show my face? :eek:

I might jump in and have a go in the near future even though I am a mere beginner. :)
As a fewllow beginner, I can highly recommend giving the seasons a go. :)

Do I have to show my face? :eek:
No, you don't have to. I always add some filters to my videos to make myself a little less recognizable and I can think of two or three "headless ukers" among the regulars.

I started uke 14 months ago, just take a look at my first video, I was rubbish! :)

Joining in on the Seasons really helped me to develop & gain confidence, they are a great bunch of people.

The mic looks like it will work well enough, I started out using a cheap digital camera, & I've just bought & used a £17 USB mic for one of my entries.
You may have to play a bit louder than you think at first, but you can find that out in the comfort of your own home.

Nobody saw my face for at least 6 months, I didn't want to scare them!
Same with 'singing', just wasn't comfortable, but I can just about manage a bit now & again.

My advice, join in & have some fun. :)

(You don't have to commit to every week just when it suits you.)

As a fewllow beginner, I can highly recommend giving the seasons a go. :)

No, you don't have to. I always add some filters to my videos to make myself a little less recognizable and I can think of two or three "headless ukers" among the regulars.

I started uke 14 months ago, just take a look at my first video, I was rubbish! :)

Joining in on the Seasons really helped me to develop & gain confidence, they are a great bunch of people.

The mic looks like it will work well enough, I started out using a cheap digital camera, & I've just bought & used a £17 USB mic for one of my entries.
You may have to play a bit louder than you think at first, but you can find that out in the comfort of your own home.

Nobody saw my face for at least 6 months, I didn't want to scare them!
Same with 'singing', just wasn't comfortable, but I can just about manage a bit now & again.

My advice, join in & have some fun. :)

How can I volunteer to become a host? By just doing a video and telling seasonistas about the new theme? Or are there any regulations?
Just being curious :)

Have a look at the "Sign up for future Seasons III" thread. It will tell you which seasons are currently without hosts. Then just comment on the thread to say which one you would like to host.

How can I volunteer to become a host? By just doing a video and telling seasonistas about the new theme? Or are there any regulations?
Just being curious :)

We have 5 open seasons that still require hosts in the current sign up period.
They are in May June and July.
We'd love them to be filled by first time hosters...

Heino, if you've got a theme ready to go i will happily vacate season 268 and let you host ....

There is an extensive list of previous themes to look through on the Seasons III thread to find out if it's been done before....

I have a question. I've been listening to the seasons for a long time now. I have posted two to three videos for this year. Can I still host a seasons contest, even after that?

I have a question. I've been listening to the seasons for a long time now. I have posted two to three videos for this year. Can I still host a seasons contest, even after that?

Yes! (Extra text here)

Yes you can and we encourage it. We've even had others that havent been seasonistas jump in and host. Its a lot of fun. If you have any questions about it you should contact pabrizzer. He is the seasons coordinator. You can also post any questions on the Yakkity thread and get lots of answers there from other seasonistas.

Just another affirmative. One season song makes you a seasonista. And if you've been listening you'll know how things run. And there will be plenty of support if you ask.

Thank you for your suggestions and answers. They're very encouraging.

Another question. Can someone help me with out with the seasons? I need to know what I'm getting myself into before the contest.

what do you need to know? ask away! everyone will help

if you're nervous of how it'll be, maybe start the week with a one song limit - i believe that's how the seasons started??? one song per person??? and we've had people do that, even more recently. you can always raise the limit as the week goes on, maybe after the first weekend, when you know how you're doing with everything, or on wednesday, that's a popular day for song limit re-thinks, or at the second weekend, when the season is close to ending - or you can keep the original song limit all week. anyone who wants to keep doing songs, can put them on the island thread - that's what it's there for - so don't feel bad about having a song limit!

what do you need to know? ask away! everyone will help

if you're nervous of how it'll be, maybe start the week with a one song limit - i believe that's how the seasons started??? one song per person??? and we've had people do that, even more recently. you can always raise the limit as the week goes on, maybe after the first weekend, when you know how you're doing with everything, or on wednesday, that's a popular day for song limit re-thinks, or at the second weekend, when the season is close to ending - or you can keep the original song limit all week. anyone who wants to keep doing songs, can put them on the island thread - that's what it's there for - so don't feel bad about having a song limit!

Yes, I am super nervous about hosting, but I'm more nervous about doing everything right. Do I give out prizes or NOT, am I critiqueing right? Or more? Is the theme right or not challenging enough? My brain is in a panic.

... so don't feel bad about having a song limit!

NOW you tell me! :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, here's my take on the bare minimum you need to know/do to host a Season: (Linda created a fantastic video which walks you through most everything. Check it out!)

1. Think of a topic. It can be narrow ("Songs by the Bee Gees") or broad ("Songs written in the 20th Century"). You can repeat the same theme idea as a previous Season. Remember, it's your Season, tell us what you want!

2. Know how to record a video and post it on YouTube. Should be simple for anyone who's already entered a Season. You will most likely want to post an introduction video for your Season. It's not required, but it's nice.

2. Know how to create a YouTube playlist. Easy to do easy to find out how. Here's the official instructions to do that.

3. Create a Playlist for your Season.

4. Come up with the Rules you want us to follow which are in addition to your Theme. Feel free to steal the rules from another Season. Just about the only hard rule is the start & end time for your Season. How many entries are allowed, is up to you. It truth, a three or four entry limit isn't really much more difficult than a 1-entry limit, and it makes us Seasonistas much happier! If you wish to award prizes, wonderful! If you don't, wonderful too! Your contest, your rules.

5. Create a new thread and post your introduction video and rules the Saturday afternoon before the contest starts. This gives everyone a chance to think about songs and stuff!

6. Once the contest begins and entries start coming to your Season, watch and listen to them on YouTube rather than here. Doing that, you can comment on them, and ADD them to your Playlist, at the same time as you're listening.

7. Encourage, joke, support, and praise entries in your season thread, as time and your own enthusiasm permits. Do what you want to do. Remember, this is for fun!

8. After your Season ends, prepare a "wrap-up" video. You can discuss the Season, award prizes, or just bask of the ukulele goodness! Celebrate your Season with us! If you can post your wrap-up within a couple of weeks of the Season's end, we love it!

9. When in doubt, PM someone! Most everyone is eager and willing to help!

10. Remember, this is for fun! Have fun! We've all made mistakes while hosting. Big deal. We've all had bunches of fun hosting too!

Hope this helps a bit.

Yes, I am super nervous about hosting, but I'm more nervous about doing everything right. Do I give out prizes or NOT, am I critiqueing right? Or more? Is the theme right or not challenging enough? My brain is in a panic.
randy has a load of super points in his post, above

it is in the seasons guidelines, that there should be a prize - that can be as big and amazing as an actual uke, or something much more humble! but prizes seem to be going out of fashion, and an increasing number of people don't award prizes now.

as far as commenting goes, people play this different ways. some people comment on vids just here on the thread, some people just comment on the actual youtube pages of the videos, and some people comment both on the youtube vid pages, and here on the thread - the latter is more work! i think the easiest thing, is just to comment on the youtube video page

what to say in comments - just say what you wanna say! great song, funny song, cool uke, nice hat, cute cat, whatever you wanna say!

do set up a playlist, and add people's songs as you view them - some folk view and listen just on the playlist, rather than following the season on the UU thread

challenging themes are great but so are not-challenging ones, where people can bring pretty much what they fancy! go with a theme that will bring YOU, as host, songs YOU fancy hearing - the season is like a party, and our songs are presents - just let us know what kind of thing you want us to bring!

Top Bottom