Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your invitation to the Seasons of the Ukulele!

Quote Originally Posted by IZlives View Post
    sorry but i'm a little confused.. do we post a link to our video on the thread for that week?
    swing by the current thread

absorb and digest the theme

create super awesome video of amazing performance

post said video on said thread - there is a snazzy film icon when you post an advanced reply - if you cut and paste your youtube video's URL into the dialogue box that opens when you click on the film icon, your video will show in an embedded player

et voila you will be a seasonista

yeah baby
    Last edited by bird's eye view of my ukelele; 02-24-2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: typing

A huge thank you to the positive support I've received after posting my first video this week to the Seasons! So happy that one Mr. Berni Armstrong got me involved, and I look to continue this for as long as I can!

Well I have been seduced. Wendi, Jarvi, Booli (what's with all the i's) have convinced me to join the club. I have obtained a webcam it is operational. I am making some vids. They appear to be wmv format is that OK? I haven't a clue as to how upload them or what the other conventions are for the club. I would like to come on board asap but with xmas this week I don't have the time to search everything out. Can somebody assist me with these issues please?
    "Inspire me muse to sing of the wanderer, who sailed the wine dark sea and toppled the towers of Ilium"
    "Make a Joyous Noise"
    "Let there be song to fill the air"

Uncle Tommy's Holiday Camp

Quote Originally Posted by IamNoMan View Post
    Well I have been seduced. Wendi, Jarvi, Booli (what's with all the i's) have convinced me to join the club. I have obtained a webcam it is operational. I am making some vids. They appear to be wmv format is that OK? I haven't a clue as to how upload them or what the other conventions are for the club. I would like to come on board asap but with xmas this week I don't have the time to search everything out. Can somebody assist me with these issues please?
    My name has a 'y' ... no 'i's in my first name, but I think you meant me. Welcome, Tommy ... so happy you will be joining us!

WMV is fine - YouTube accepts pretty much any format of video.

Next thing to do, if you haven't yet, is to create a YouTube account ... that's where you'll upload your videos. Check the settings and make sure it's set so people can comment on your videos and so forth ... some new accounts have started out with weird defaults, and then we can't come by and tell you how much we love your entries!

Uploading a video to YouTube is super easy. Click the "Upload" button at upper right ... then you can just drag and drop your video file right onto the upload box, and YouTube handles the rest.

While it's uploading and processing (this takes some time ... how much depends on your internet speed and the weather and how YouTube is feeling today), you can edit the title and description you want to give your video, and any other settings you want to change. I always click on "Advanced Settings" and then click "Recording Date", which sets the date to today.

I generally wait until the video is fully uploaded and processed, and I have selected a thumbnail (more on that in a moment), before clicking "Publish". When you're ready, click "Publish", and voila! you have a video on YouTube.

It's generally recommended to set your videos to "Public" so everyone can see them, and others can find them on YouTube. If you feel you have reasons for it, some people do make their videos "Unlisted" ... I'm not a big fan of that, but it's an option you have. ("Private" will make it viewable only by you, so that setting won't work for a Seasons video.)

Re thumbnails: YouTube will select three random still shots from your video as possible thumbnails for your video, and will select one of them as your initial thumbnail. It takes a while for YT to process the thumbnails, so often you will have blank images in the thumbnail boxes (or no images / boxes at all) for a while until they appear. Once they appear, select the one you like best, wait until YouTube displays the one you picked in the thumbnail preview box at upper left (this can also take some time ... sometimes it's instantaneous, sometimes it takes ages, and occasionally doesn't work at all). Then click "Save" to save your changes. I find I get best results by waiting until my chosen thumbnail appears before clicking "Save" and or "Publish" ... YouTube is known to have occasional weird behavior around thumbnails.

So, now you have your video published on YouTube. The final step is to post it in the Seasons.

Go to the current Seasons thread on the forum. Click that link (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...of-the-Ukulele) (I highly recommend bookmarking it ... you will use it a lot) and look for the highest-numbered thread ... it will most likely appear near the top of the listing. Go to that thread, click "Reply to Thread", say whatever you want to say to introduce yourself and your video.

To put your video in your post, click the icon that looks like a bit of filmstrip, and copy/paste the link from YouTube into the dialog box that appears. And voila! your video will show up in your forum post in its full glory, hopefully displaying the lovely thumbnail you chose. Submit your comment to the post, and ... welcome, you have entered your first Season ... and you are now a Seasonista!

Looking forward to your entry, Tommy! Hopefully you will inspire some others out there to make their first entry ... we love and embrace new Seasonistas ... yes, you can ... you will love it. So come on, all you lurkers, now (whenever you're reading this) is an excellent time to dip your toe in the Seasons pool!
    Wendy -- UkeCan1 of Uke Can Play Too!
    YouTube:
    Uke Can 1 | Uke On! Band | Uke Can Play Too! | The Prosperous Artist
    Facebook: Uke On! Band | Uke Can Play Too! | The Prosperous Artist Revolution

Ukes:
    Tiki Uki = soprano Tiki Flea, Epi Leadshredder = Les Paul Epiphone concert
    Pocky = Kala Pocket Uke sopranissimo, Chili = Mainland soprano Chili Pepper Uke
    Minnie (hot pink, "Happy to Be Me!), Mickey (bright blue), and Sophia (lavender) First Act "mini guitars"

If you're a Seasonista, come join the Seasonista Facebook group! (PM me)
    If you're not (YET!), come play with us in the Seasons of the Ukulele ... it's easy and fun

Having a youtube (http://www.youtube.com) account is the way to do this. You can just upload the wmv to youtube, they take care of converting it to a format they can show to anyone. When you have uploaded it to youtube you can use the filmstrip icon on the top of the edit screen to insert the video.
    My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/xommen
    My soundclouds: https://soundcloud.com/wvommen, https://soundcloud.com/uke22live
    The band: http://www.uke22.nl
    My ukes:
    Soprano: Black Korala, Bach Spruce top, Mahalo Steel String Electric
    Concert: Epiphone Les Paul, Ohana CKS-15E, Makawao UK 40
    Tenor:
    Hudson HUK-T.
    Bass: Harley Benton Kahuna CLU Bass.

Woohoo, Tommy - you did it! Well done, terrific Seasons entry, so much fun to see you "live".

One last bit of advice: check in to YouTube periodically, and respond to the comments you get on your videos. A simple "thank you" will suffice, or whatever you're moved to say. That encourages people to keep watching and commenting on future vids. Also, if and when you have time, go watch other people's (especially the folks who comment on yours) and comment on theirs. You are getting some lovely comments over there!
    Wendy -- UkeCan1 of Uke Can Play Too!
    YouTube:
    Uke Can 1 | Uke On! Band | Uke Can Play Too! | The Prosperous Artist
    Facebook: Uke On! Band | Uke Can Play Too! | The Prosperous Artist Revolution

Ukes:
    Tiki Uki = soprano Tiki Flea, Epi Leadshredder = Les Paul Epiphone concert
    Pocky = Kala Pocket Uke sopranissimo, Chili = Mainland soprano Chili Pepper Uke
    Minnie (hot pink, "Happy to Be Me!), Mickey (bright blue), and Sophia (lavender) First Act "mini guitars"

If you're a Seasonista, come join the Seasonista Facebook group! (PM me)
    If you're not (YET!), come play with us in the Seasons of the Ukulele ... it's easy and fun

Thank you, Wendy - that was a very good description of the YouTube process.
    - Laura

Sopranino - Vintage 1930's Camp Uke (Birch)
    Soprano - Koaloha Opio (Sapele), Martin OXK (HPL), Brueko No. 2 (Maple), Kala ASOV -S (Spruce/Ovangkol), Vintage 40's Silvertone (Mahogany), Vintage 50's Harmony (Birch), Zither Heaven (1 Black Walnut & 1 Cherry), First Act Discovery (Plastic)
    Concert - Luna (Spruce top)
    Tenor - Outdoor Ukulele (Composite Polycarbonate), Mainland (Mahogany)

The problem with me is I can only record two or three videos a year. That's because, usually, I wait for something for inspiration to strike me. Is that OK to place a video in a contest, even if I don't record one once a year?
    Last edited by aspieman456; 06-02-2015 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aspieman456 View Post
    The problem with me is I can only record two or three videos a year. That's because, usually, I wait for something for inspiration to strike me. Is that OK to place a video in a contest, even if I don't record one once a year?
    Yep! Feel free to participate whenever you can!

Quote Originally Posted by aspieman456 View Post
    Hi, aspieman. The point of the weekly Seasons challenges is to prompt you to look into your songbooks and your memory for a song you can record for the specific Seasons theme that week. No need to post every week—if the theme doesn't interest you, just wait a bit. But no, you shouldn't place a video in a contest if it doesn't meet the contest guidelines.

If you record a song just once a year, when the inspiration hits you, post it as a freestanding thread under Links and Videos. But do keep any eye on the Seasons as each new one starts, usually late Saturday night in the US, and maybe that will be your inspiration.
    ~Ginny

Leave every place better than you found it.

Thread Information