Low G Baritone Strings

isismarina

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been playing the ukulele for about a year now and I have finally started experimenting with different strings. I discovered that on my soprano I enjoy the Aquila high-gCEA strings. On my both my standard and resonator concert size ukes I have fallen in love with Aquila low GCEA strings. My boyfriend just recently bought me a baritone uke (by accident, he ment to purchase a tenor) which I had never really considered playing because being a beginner I really want to get a grasp on one tuning before turning my attention to a new one.

I love the sound of the baritone. It is so beautiful and rich. But because of my love of the sound of the low g on my concerts I thought it would be even more beautiful on the baritone. After being given a few funny faces at music shops around Stockholm and Amsterdam in search of low G baritone uke strings, I searched the forums here and if I have things right, it is indeed an semi-popular way to play the baritone.

My question is- how do I get my hands on some low-G baritone strings. Are there any brands that make these? Which would you recommend? I would like to avoid using tenor strings and risking stressing the strings and instrument.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Are you asking about a linear (low D string) in G tuning or a linear (Low G string) in C tuning?

If its a linear G tuning ,D,G,B,E; Dirk (Southcoast) doesn't make a set for a baritone, just for rentrants. Here's what he wrote to me a couple of days ago when I was asking for a set:

"There haven’t been many changes in the Linear sets (as opposed to the reentrants where there are lots!). The names have changed as you noted. However we’ve never made a linear set heavy enough to give G tuning on a Baritone. We have no plans for one either, as in spite of the fact that the Baritone was “designed” (I use the term loosely) for that tuning – sound was not a primary element in that design. The primary goal was to produce a little “trainer guitar” for youngsters whose hands weren’t big enough for 6 strings.

As a result, the body resonates at d# - too high to give proper resonance to a d string. No string material will ever change the acoustics of that situation, so we won’t go there. The new site will have 4 options for reentrant G tuning @20” – two tensions, each with the option of a wound 3rd. If you want to stick to linear, then A tuning or B flat is all we can give you @ 20”."

I bought a set of Living Water baritone linears. They sound wonderful but I like a round wound 3&4th linear string so will be changing soon. Guess I'll have to go back to the Martin 630"s.

Here's Ken's website:http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/LWS.aspx

Are you asking about a linear (low D string) in G tuning or a linear (Low G string) in C tuning?

Sorry for the confusion, I think I was am talking about a linear (LOW G String) in C tuning. Tuned: (Low)G - C - E - A.

I don't know any music theory but I believe GCEA is C tuning, and that DGBE is G tuning?

LOL, we all start out here that way Isi. Yes, a low G string is in C tuning.A low tuned 4th string is usually referred as a Linear string; a hi tuned 4th string is referred as a rentrant.

I don't have much experience with C tuned baris. but I'm sure someone who uses that tuning will. There are some recent threads on the subject you could search out by going to the advanced search on top and type in C tuning for baritone or something like it.

There's also a website dedicated to baritones: http://humblebaritonics.blogspot.com/

I've got the Southcoast linear, non-wound, on my Pono baritone, and love them. I've got mine in B-flat (F, B-flat, D, G), but Southcoast recommended them in C on the old site, so you could use them the way you are suggesting. They have have wound options as well if you prefer that route. I'm dying for their site to be back up, as I have been waiting to order set for a new (to me) tenor. Customer service there is incredible, and Dirk will answer any question you have. Good luck!

I've got the Southcoast linear, non-wound, on my Pono baritone, and love them. I've got mine in B-flat (F, B-flat, D, G), but Southcoast recommended them in C on the old site, so you could use them the way you are suggesting. They have have wound options as well if you prefer that route. I'm dying for their site to be back up, as I have been waiting to order set for a new (to me) tenor. Customer service there is incredible, and Dirk will answer any question you have. Good luck!
what he said

Thanks for the tip! Can someone expand a bit on the (tonal) diferences between wound and unwound strings? (also checking the forums!) Thanks...

Thanks for the tip! Can someone expand a bit on the (tonal) diferences between wound and unwound strings? (also checking the forums!) Thanks...

Unwound strings sound tonally the same as the others (provided that they are made from the same material). They also feel the same, a thing that is very important to me. However, the wound bottom string will usually give you a little more volume and maybe feel a little tighter. I personally don't particularly like low 4th strings, and I certainly don't like the ukulele to feel and sound like a small guitar. This is why I never personally use (or sell) wound strings.

Some people like wound strings - I don't.

Last edited:
The first song to be beamed to the mainland from Hawaii via radio in 1939 was a song which was played with a low G string. That means they were writing music 74 years ago for linear tuning. If the song you are doing has notes below middle C. It may not sound right. Two instruments creates no problems.

Thanks for your help everyone. I have now bought a LINEAR STRING SETS LL-NW: Light Gauge Linear Set - no wound strings (formerly Linear Ukulele Strings) from Southcoast Ukes and are awaiting their arrival! I look forward to hearing my baritone sing!

Top Bottom