String Recommendations for Pono MT?

jmsandy77

Reaction score
Hi All! Simple as that. I have one on the way from HMS (can't wait) and am curious as to what your string suggestions would be. Or what you've tried and the results you received. Called and talked to Aaron and he recommended his strings (but I'm not sure if it's because they're his ;) So I picked up a set of those for giggles. I appreciate your input!

I believe Aaron's set is comprised of strings from different sets and they've gotten positive reviews from the folks who have used them. String selection usually comes down to personal preference. What someone would recommend may not be the choice for you. It all comes down to sound, feel and playability. I think the fun part is to try different sets and see what works for you. Jus my dos centavos. Check out the FYI - Uke Strings thread.

I like Worth clears on mine.

I purchased my Pono MT from a private seller on Ebay. It came with Aquila Low g (wound 3rd and 4th strings). I changed to High G Worth clears and I am very pleased with the results. Bright and clear sound. But, as mentioned strings are a personal preference.

I've found Worth clear low g to be the perfect match for my MTD. Came with Mahana's on it but they were just to mellow.

I've tried the Mahana's my MT came with, Living Water and Aquila. So far I like the Aquila best - although I should caveat and say that I didn't have long to try the Living Waters. I like the punchiness and feel of the Aquilas, but the Living Waters did have a great clear sound.

I was not pleased with the strings it came with so I switched to Worth browns. I liked it much better but still hoped for more. I installed Freemont blacklines and now I am thrilled with this ukulele. With these strings it has clarity, a bell-like tone, punchiness and sustain. I had never used the Freemonts before but they turned out to be ideal for me and my Pono MT.
Good luck with yours and please let us know how your experimenting goes!

I have Ko'olau Alohis on my Pono MC and love them. They are well balanced and bright...but not brashly so as Aquilas sometimes are. Many great strings for an all solid mahogany uke, a couple already mentioned: Southcoast, Living Waters, Freemonts, etc. My Pono 6 string came with Mahanos and sounded "dead" for a Pono. I have Southcoasts on it now and it sounds great.

There are as many strings as answers. Personal preference is what is all comes down to. Pick up a set of Worth's (Clear and Browns), Living Waters, Savarez and Ph.D's and you can start having fun experimenting. Then you have Fremont's, Southcoasts, and another half dozen manufactures...and those strings you got, oh and Ko'olau strings too. I have tried almost all the strings out there except Southcoasts. For Low G, on some of my ukes I prefer a wound and others unwound...it's all about the sound you want to get and like on your uke. Some strings are very close in sound (fluorocarbons). I find the Living Waters and Savarez to be very close in sound on several of my ukes. Also the Living Waters and Worth Clears are pretty close. I think the LW chimes a bit more but it must be because those strings are made in heaven according to Ken ;-)

Good luck and enjoy your new uke!

Top Bottom