Survivor Girl Ukulele Band - Musical Therapy for Sex Traffic Survivors in India

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
Anyone in the San Gabriel Valley? Support this awesome organization!

0oYQW.jpg

Laurie Kallevig, 51, with one of twenty Ukelele instruments that she will bring to India Thursday, January 10, 2013. A benefit concert will be held at Sierra Madre's Bethany Church on Sunday for Laurie Kallevig, a former Pasadena resident, who will be traveling to India in February to create a Survivor Girl Ukulele Band with survivors of human trafficking and prostitution. Eight local musicians will be featured. (Walt Mancini/Staff Photographer)

More at the link:

http://www.sgvtribune.com/news/ci_22355997/sierra-madre-concert-benefit-girls-ukulele-band-sex

I'm not in that area, but if I was, I'd bust my butt to get there to support it.

Maybe being part of a group where everyone knows what you went through, but is more about having fun, will be of some comfort. It's something that seems rather beyond what a uke can do.. But I know saying that, I'll only be flamed because this is a uke forum. Even if I don't think it's much help, I do think it's something positive.. And I sincerely hope it works out.

You won't get flamed by me. I felt the same way when I read this. I think there is an inherently social nature to the ukulele's current popularity and certainly can appreciate her trying to harness that as a small part of a larger effort. I truly hope Ms. Kallevig's efforts are successful.

Last edited:
We can only bring to the game what we have at hand. That kind woman has some time, some ukuleles, and the willingness to get involved. Hats off to her and Godspeed with the effort.

from the article:
"I would like them to learn what it means to be human and to have other opportunities for joy and freedom," Kallevig said. "It's a lofty goal but I think the call of music can be transformative."

Last edited:
I agree with both of y'all. I have on my skeptical hat, but would love to be wrong, and would support her if I was in the area, no doubt about that. The article is having a tough time loading on my ipad, it'd rather stay stuck on their ipad app interstitial ad, but does it say if she has a degree in music therapy? That would probably be a huge pro to this idea right there.

SIERRA MADRE - When Laurie Kallevig began playing her guitar last spring in a Delhi suburb in India, she was struck by how her all-girl audience was mesmerized by the sounds.

Kallevig, then a volunteer with an organization that fights sex-trafficking, had accompanied some of the workers to the suburb where many families have become victims of inter-generational prostitution.

"I tried to teach them a song - that failed - but we were able to sing the `ABC' song and a `Happy Birthday' song and they just loved it," said Kallevig, a former Pasadena resident. "They were so fascinated by the guitar."

Kallevig, 51, had never picked up an ukulele, but she came up with the idea of learning to play it and creating a

"Survivor Girl Ukulele Band" with sex-trafficking victims as a form of music therapy.

Ukuleles, she said, are ideal instruments for the girls since they are so light, have just four strings and are easy to play.

Twenty brightly colored ukuleles have already been donated by Kala Brand Music Company, she said.

And now the former executive assistant is preparing to take the ukuleles to India in February to make her dream of helping victimized young women come true.

"I would like them to learn what it means to be human and to have other opportunities for joy and freedom," Kallevig said. "It's a lofty goal but I think the call of music can be transformative."

On Sunday, a benefit concert featuring eight local artists, including singer/songwriter Brad Colerick of South Pasadena, will be held at 7 p.m. at Bethany Church in Sierra Madre, 93 N. Baldwin Ave., for Kallevig and her work in India.

Organizers suggest a $15 donation to help with Kallevig's travel, living and other expenses.

A benefit concert last year helped fund Kallevig's last India trip, where she volunteered with anti-sex trafficking organizations, including Aapne Aap.

She has documented some of her activities on her blog, workingdraft.me.

"I just think it's wonderful that she would go to such lengths to do such an amazingly wonderful thing for such a tragic situation," said Colerick, who is the concert host. "The little that we can do to help is just a drop in the bucket for the good work she's doing."

One of the performers, her friend Ed Tree, wrote a song about the Survivor Girl Ukulele Band that will cap Sunday's show.

The song is a catchy, folksy ballad that begins with the lyrics: "If you're down, we'll lend you a hand. If you're lost, we'll show you a plan. If you're scared, we will understand. Survivor Girl Ukulele Band."

Kallevig said she feels fortunate to have so many people rallying to support her. She's still working out some of the details, but she said she hopes to work with girls at an after-care home, a save haven for sex-trafficking survivors.

She's also thinking about making a film about her work with the girls, she said, and has considered starting a nonprofit organization.

David Bury, an elder at Bethany Church where Kallevig has been a member for several years, described her as a friendly, adventurous and artistic soul.

"She's living a life that's genuinely loving and that's something that God has put into her heart and into her life," Bury said. "That's how she wants to draw these girls out of slavery."

Good for her. If this helps even one of those girls (and I believe it will do more) then it's worth it.

Great initiative!

I've had the chance to collaborate with some organisations that work with homeless people, refugees, victims of domestic violence and substance abusers. From what I've witnessed, doing something creative in a safe and friendly environment with people who respect you, value your presence and understand what you have been going through has a hugely positive impact on people's quality of life and path to recovery.

One of the things I like the most about the ukulele is its versatility, you can play almost any style of music on it and it will sound great. You can do a lot more than just Western pop chord progressions ;-) It does have a chromatic scale that's true, but it's much more accessible to people with no particular music background than most traditional indian instruments, so I imagine it must be a great tool for this purpose. Like others have said, I'm sure there are ways to adapt its teaching and even tuning to Indian musical cultures.

Last edited:
Being both a uke person and a fan of both North and South Indian classical music, I'm of two minds about this. While I love ukes...building them and playing them...I'm also a bit sensitive to cultural imperialism. The Indians have a number of very deep musical traditions that are extremely healing...Kirtan, Qawwali, Bhajans, etc. I wonder if the uke could be adapted to existing traditions in India.

One of the "traditions" there that simply must cease to exist is the demeaning and brutalization of women. But you don't do that by imposing Western musical ideals on a culture that already has music that is so incredibly deep.

Being both a uke person and a fan of both North and South Indian classical music, I'm of two minds about this. While I love ukes...building them and playing them...I'm also a bit sensitive to cultural imperialism. The Indians have a number of very deep musical traditions that are extremely healing...Kirtan, Qawwali, Bhajans, etc. I wonder if the uke could be adapted to existing traditions in India.

One of the "traditions" there that simply must cease to exist is the demeaning and brutalization of women. But you don't do that by imposing Western musical ideals on a culture that already has music that is so incredibly deep.

That's why someone with a music and therapeutic education would have better luck. You learn more than just major and minor at university, and the knowledge with how to cope with these mental processes properly would be THE most important thing. I wish her luck, but I'm right there sharing the two hats.

Unfortunately, not many Western universities teach Indian classical music; it's really a completely alien music to the European tradition with intonation and scales that are different, rhythms that are different, and a completely different basic structure. I can only describe Indian music as being like a three dimensional matrix where the matrix lay lines are absolutes, yet each time a raga is played, while the basic structure and scales are fixed, there is a high degree of improvisation that follows very rigid rules. It's also NOT about harmony; there are no chords; if anything, it's about a relationship between the melody and the "key", the best word I can find to apply to the root note. There's nothing like it in Western music.

I would be very wary taking our music to India, and I'd be ready to stop playing and start listening at the drop of a hat. There are not many Western musicians with the sensitivity to "play well with others" coming out of very different musical cultures at a high level. It takes a lot of listening and a willingness not to fall back upon cliches of our own music.

But it would be wonderful to hear what ukes might do with movable frets for correct Indian intonation! Hmmm, sympathetic strings, drones, jawari bridge...hmmm...

I agree... BUT in my day, there was one prof in the music department, he was the percussion guy, but he did teach Indian and African music studies. I never had a chance to take his courses, I was a vocal performance dweeb doing double time on clarinet. But besides him, there were other professors absolutely taking non-western music seriously. The percussion guy was the type who traveled continents learning the stuff he passed onto students. I wish I knew more about it myself, but the opportunities were there for those that did. I remember them being popular courses, and for music majors only.

That was a while back, but there must be other universities with similar things going on.

Unfortunately, not many Western universities teach Indian classical music; it's really a completely alien music to the European tradition with intonation and scales that are different, rhythms that are different, and a completely different basic structure. I can only describe Indian music as being like a three dimensional matrix where the matrix lay lines are absolutes, yet each time a raga is played, while the basic structure and scales are fixed, there is a high degree of improvisation that follows very rigid rules. It's also NOT about harmony; there are no chords; if anything, it's about a relationship between the melody and the "key", the best word I can find to apply to the root note. There's nothing like it in Western music.

I would be very wary taking our music to India, and I'd be ready to stop playing and start listening at the drop of a hat. There are not many Western musicians with the sensitivity to "play well with others" coming out of very different musical cultures at a high level. It takes a lot of listening and a willingness not to fall back upon cliches of our own music.

But it would be wonderful to hear what ukes might do with movable frets for correct Indian intonation! Hmmm, sympathetic strings, drones, jawari bridge...hmmm...

Well, Cal Arts has Swapan Chaudry, a masterful musician who was Ali Akbar Khan's tabla player for many years, but if you really want to learn the real deal, there's the Ali Akbar College in Marin, Kartik Seshadri in the San Diego area (long time student of Ravi Shankar), or go to Calcutta...of course there are others, but those are the ones I know which are really good. I was pretty deep into Indian music for a number of years when I lived in Southern California and had the incredible pleasure and honor of getting to know both Ustad Ali Akbar Khan and Pandit Ravi Shankar a bit; attend recording sessions and house concerts by them; and get swept up in that other worldly dimension of their music. It's music that deserves the greatest of respect, and that's why I'm reluctant to give unqualified support to just trying to bring happy western music to that culture. To me, it's like the worst of what missionaries did to ethnic cultures starting right here in my current home region of Northern California where they did a great job of wiping out most of the Chumash, Ohlone, and Miwok cultures in the name of "our lord". Step lightly in foreign lands...

Em, there's more to Indian music than classical music - Bollywood? - and the aim of this project is not to turn these women into trained classical musicians but to provide them with a creative outlet. What better way than with a generally cheap and accessible instrument? A lot of Indian pop music can be played on the ukulele and the main thing is that they enjoy themselves doing it.

Generally I also think we need to stop thinking about the ukulele as a Western instrument. It's extremely popular in Thailand and has a long history in Japan for example. Once people appropriate it, it's theirs. That's why we tend to think of Hawaii when we think of the uke and not immediately of Portugal.

Last edited:
That's just it. Rick describes it pretty well, why Westernized instruments don't do so great. And Bollywood uses modal stuff too, other than the modes we're used to. The uke is popular in lots of parts of the world and that's awesome. But it's considered a Western instrument in this context, because of how it's tuned for Western ears. And any of the alternate tunings that the strings are made for, will have the same issue.

I guess it just depends on your opinion of the importance of local cultures. But more than that, I'm concerned about her education, helping victims of extensive and prolonged sexual abuse.

Em, there's more to Indian music than classical music - Bollywood? - and the aim of this project is not to turn these women into trained classical musicians but to provide them with a creative outlet. What better way than with a generally cheap and accessible instrument? A lot of Indian pop music can be played on the ukulele and the main thing is that they enjoy themselves doing it.

Generally I also think we need to stop thinking about the ukulele as a Western instrument. It's extremely popular in Thailand and has a long history in Japan for example. Once people appropriate it, it's theirs. That's why we tend to think of Hawaii when we think of the uke and not immediately of Portugal.

Most of Bollywood music is like the worst of Tin Pan Alley Hapa Haole Hawaiian music...

Just sayin'...

Sorry, but having just attended the memorial service for Ravi Shankar a couple of weeks ago in Encinitas, I'm a bit extra-sensitive to the bastardization of a particular musical culture. There's good crossover music between cultures, but it takes place in a context of really trying to build cross cultural understanding with deep respect for the other musical tradition.

I was at CalArts in the 90s. It's an amazing place for music from India, Indonesia and Ghana. And one thing I learned there was that, while we did impose European culture on countries in sometimes horrific ways, it's easy to think of them as being trampled by our music and culture. A more subtle truth, as I learned it anyway, is that we took ideas from them, and they took ideas from us. Yes, they have traditions, but they have integrated many Western practices into their music by choice, not just through coercion. The ukulele is, of course, one of the great examples in music history.

I remember a few tunes from Ghana which really make fun of the colonials, as a way of celebrating and reclaiming their culture.

As a native Australian named Leli Watson said: “If you’ve come here to help me, you’re wasting your time. But if you’ve come because your salvation is bound up with mine, then let us walk together.” (I also think you can take this sentiment without the Christian angle if you're that way inclined)

Bollywood soundtracks are the most popular form of music in India (also hugely popular elsewhere from Britain to the African continent), and they use plenty of "Western" instruments in it. Respecting local cultures is also realising that their taste in music doesn't necessarily correspond to a historical image one might have of it. Culture is a living thing. India is a world power now, they pick and choose cultural influences from wherever they want and appropriate it as theirs. Noone is imposing any music styles on them, in fact they pretty much dominate the movie and music industries outside of Europe and North America.

People in the West might think of Ravi Shankar when they think of Indian music but in India more people will listen to Shahrukh Khan and to the "Jab Tak Hai Jaan" soundtrack. This song "Challa" for instance is topping the charts at the moment. Notice the guitar...

Like it or not, this is Indian music now.

Top Bottom