48th Season Of The Ukulele: Cover The Best Albums Ever!

ukuleledaddy

Reaction score
The 48th season of the ukulele: The Greatest Albums Of All Time

For Season 15 Mattydee challenged us to cover one of the all time great albums, Sgt Pepper. This gave me the idea to pay tribute to some of the other great albums which almost always show up on people’s “Best Of” lists. There have been many Greatest Albums Of All Time lists published and I have compiled the list below based on the lists published by Rolling Stone, MOJO, VH1, National Association Of Recording Merchandisers, Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, and Sound & Vision Magazine. Since what is considered to be a great album is so very subjective, I decided to induldge myself and create my own list of ten albums I have consitantly enjoyed time and time again through the years. Below are both lists, and here is your challenge:

Your task: Choose a song from any of the albums listed on either The Top Ten List OR UkuleleDaddy’s Top Ten List

Your prize: Either a set of Aquila strings or a T-shirt by the most rediculous excuse for a ukulele band, Toucan Sam & The Fruitloops (provided I can get the size you want). Runner up gets whatever the first place winner does not choose.

Rules and guidelines:

1. Your official entry has to be a new video created for this season.
2. Your entry must mention the 48th season of the ukulele.
3. Mention which album the song you are doing is from.
4. Only videos posted in this thread will be considered.
5. The ukulele must be featured front and center.
6. Your first entry is your official entry unless specifically stated. All other entries are bonus entries.
7. BONUS ENTRY: These can be any song from either list posted below OR choose a song from one of your own top ten favorite albums.
8. The deadline is Sunday, January 20th at 11:59 PM, HI time.

The Top Ten List (as compiled by different magazines):
Note: The Beatles – Sgt Pepper’s lonely Hearts Club Band would be on the list below but I chose to not include it due to the fact that the 15th Season covered every song from that album. You may however chose to do a song from that album as a bonus.
1. The Beatles - Revolver
2. The Beach Boys – Pet Sounds
3. Bob Dylan – Blonde On Blonde
4. The Rolling Stones – Exile On Main Street
5. Marvin Gaye – What’s Going On
6. Bob Dylan – Highway 61 Revisted
7. Led Zeppelin - IV
8. The Beatles – Rubber Soul
9. The Rolling Stones – Let It Bleed
10 . U2 – Joshua Tree

UkuleleDaddy’s List Of Ten Great Albums (which is in no particular order and just a sample of albums I love):
1. The Rolling Stones – Sticky Fingers
2. Led Zeppelin – I
3. The Beatles – Help!
4. The Kinks – Lola Vs Powerman & The Moneygoround
5. Neil Young – After The Gold Rush
6. Bruce Springsteen – Born To Run
7. The Moody Blues – On The Threshold Of A Dream
8. KISS – Destroyer
9. Fleetwood Mac – Rumors
10. Ryan Adams - Gold

And that's it! Now, let’s rock and roll!

48th Season Playlist

Bonus Tracks

Last edited:
great theme mate and here is a little bonus entry to get the ball rolling from what I personally consider to be the Beatles best Album "Rubber soul" here is "Run for your life"

What!?! No Grateful Dead on the list!?!

I know. Music taste is so personal and "Top Ten Lists" are so subjective. I almost included The Dead's first album on my list. Alas. However, the bonus rules do state that you can do "any song from either list posted below OR choose a song from one of your own top ten favorite albums.

Its worse than that- Led Zeppelin is ON both lists!

-Kurt​

Funny you should mention that Kurt. Since TODAY is the anniversary of the release of their first album, I very seriously considered doing an all Zep challenge. I thought I'd be kind and widen the parameters.

How about some lack mountain side my friends?

What about Carole King's Tapestry for the Seasonista songbirds?

And why haven't you posted a song for Season 47 yet? :)

Multi-tracking? I only ask so that I can weigh my options when determining the song(s) that I'll do. I already have a list seven possible songs. Nice to have some time after such a busy week. Sorry GT that I couldn't get an entry in this week.

Dammit-
I would not need most of these on a desert island ..no
Sex Pistols? Well, the Marvin is genius enough to counter the Beach Boys- off to see what I can
make of it,,,

Last edited:
Dammit-
I would not eat most of these on a desert island ..no
Sex Pistols? Well, the Marvin is genius enough to counter the Beach Boys- off to see what I can
make of it,,,

The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds needs no countering. It is an amazing album if you are tuned into its mood. Brian's chords, harmonies, and arrangements are just mind bogglingly delicious to me. YMMV.

- FiL

As a bonus again Running to Stand Still, but now on my cheap guitelele I bought at Thomann for 28 euro (or something like that).

Oh, boy, another great challenge. The soundtrack to my life.

What I love about top ten lists is it gives everybody a chance to argue and quibble about what got left out. ;)

Out of 20 records, ONE album with WOMEN on it sneaks in second from the bottom. :rolleyes:
I'm not picking on the host, I just looked at half a dozen top 50 lists and they're all that way.

So here's old feminist ~dave~'s top ten albums by WOMEN who rock.

Janis Joplin ~ Cheap Thrills
Joni Mitchell ~ Blue
The Pretenders ~ Pretenders
The Supremes ~ Where Did Our Love Go
Dusty Springfield ~ Dusty in Memphis
Aretha Franklin ~ Lady Soul
Carole King ~ Tapestry
Labelle ~ Nightbirds
Linda Ronstadt ~ Heart Like A Wheel
Cyndi Lauper ~ She's So Unusual

great theme mate and here is a little bonus entry to get the ball rolling from what I personally consider to be the Beatles best Album "Rubber soul" here is "Run for your life"

Great way to kick it off! I love that song. And that outfit? And the hair?! Wonderful!

Multi-tracking? I only ask so that I can weigh my options when determining the song(s) that I'll do. I already have a list seven possible songs. Nice to have some time after such a busy week. Sorry GT that I couldn't get an entry in this week.

Yeah John, multi-tracking. Go nuts. have fun.

What about Carole King's Tapestry for the Seasonista songbirds?

And why haven't you posted a song for Season 47 yet? :)

I was hoping to do a song for the 47th season but honestly there's been a severe lack of free time in my life for the past six weeks. Add to that a need to take a break from the Seasons and voila.

Regarding Tapestry, a wonderful album, no question. I'm looking forward to your Carole King bonus entry.

Dammit-
I would not eat most of these on a desert island ..no
make of it,,,

Ha ha! Sorry Dave. At least I didn't include The Eagles. I'm looking forward to seeing you squirm.

Top Bottom