Confuscation

chuck35550

Reaction score
I have an Epiphone Les Paul concert with Martin strings and am into my second month of learning songs and have had a few lessons. I am attending a 3 day course in mid February and would like to have a good tenor to take to class. Mainland classic mahogany or basic mahogany Pono from HMS? I really like my epi thru my Acoustasonic 150 and am thinking of Misi active, hard case and Worth Browns high G. The cost is a little more for the Pono and I wwonder if maybe I have lost my mind? Any advice TIA.

I've played both and they're both very nice ukuleles. I slightly prefer the feel and tone of the Pono, but honestly don't have a specific reason that I can give you as to why that's the case. Worth browns with a low G on the Pono is divine. Never tried the Mainland with a low G, but I'd have to imagine that it would be pretty nice as well. Do you have a preference as to which one you like the looks of better? Might be as good a way as any for making a decision.

Both are good ukes (well, I'm making that assumption in the case of the Pono based on my Pono baritone, I don't have a Pono tenor). I think the Ponos are generally a little better build in the larger-body ukes (comparing my baritones from Mainland and Pono) while in soprano size my experience is that Mainland holds its own at the very least.

The Pono might hold its resale value a little better than the Mainland if you ever decide to travel on.

All that said, either of the ukes will serve you quite well and shouldn't need to be set up. The Ponos are set up by Ko'Olau in HI and the Mainlands by Mike and Tookta in Indiana and both do an excellent job. I own seven Mainlands, four purchased from Mike and three purchased used, and all have been set up very well. I only own the one Pono (so far) but it was also set up very well.

John

Thanks for the advice. Sorry I took so long to reply on this thread but its the disease (you know the one). I will be attending a three day seminar next week-end and will need a uke. My Epiphone Les Paul won't be loud enuogh for classwork, jamming and final concert on Sunday. I'm about three hours from Uke Republic and further away from Hawaii or Indiana but because of my new disorder; I wonder if maybe I should just by a Luna from the local music store and stick with concert size for the time being. I'm afraid the Pono neck is too fat for my little fingers and I really want a cutaway. I notice that you are playing a cutaway Mainland slothead tenor Mr. Phart and wonder if my stubby fingers could handle that neck?

Thanks for the advice. Sorry I took so long to reply on this thread but its the disease (you know the one). I will be attending a three day seminar next week-end and will need a uke. My Epiphone Les Paul won't be loud enuogh for classwork, jamming and final concert on Sunday. I'm about three hours from Uke Republic and further away from Hawaii or Indiana but because of my new disorder; I wonder if maybe I should just by a Luna from the local music store and stick with concert size for the time being. I'm afraid the Pono neck is too fat for my little fingers and I really want a cutaway. I notice that you are playing a cutaway Mainland slothead tenor Mr. Phart and wonder if my stubby fingers could handle that neck?

The neck seems fine to me - I don't think you'd have a problem with it unless your fingers are so short that some chords are too much of a stretch on your current concert. The neck is probably a little wider than the one on your concert but personally I consider that a plus - it leaves more room for the right hand fingers to do rolls and stuff.

John

Good point John. I need to just click the button and hope its not too late. Thanks a lot for the good advice and support.

Steve

Finally ordered a Mainland classic mahogany tenor with Misi pick-up and a hard shell case. I really wanted the red cedar but oh well. Hopefully it will come in before my seminar next week-end. Thanks fo the help everyone.

Steve

I got a Mainland classic mahogany tenor a couple of weeks ago, and I was amazed at how fast it got to me. I ordered on Thursday, it shipped on Friday, and it was in my hands on Monday. I was one VERY happy girl. And I am in love with it.

Lucky you and congrats. I'm looking foward to the delivery and most likely will be expecting again. lol

Do you like the Aquillas? I'm reading Worths?

I know you weren't asking me...but I am the opinionator, after all... :)

My Mainland slotted headstock, cutaway mahogany uke was the only one that I liked Aquilas (low g) on. However, I switched it to some Seaguar leaders that are basically equivalent to Worth "CH" strings and wow, definitely the strings for this uke in my opinion!

John

I got a Mainland classic mahogany tenor a couple of weeks ago, and I was amazed at how fast it got to me. I ordered on Thursday, it shipped on Friday, and it was in my hands on Monday. I was one VERY happy girl. And I am in love with it.

Hey, congratulations!

I know you weren't asking me...but I am the opinionator, after all... :)

My Mainland slotted headstock, cutaway mahogany uke was the only one that I liked Aquilas (low g) on. However, I switched it to some Seaguar leaders that are basically equivalent to Worth "CH" strings and wow, definitely the strings for this uke in my opinion!

John

I just read your treatise on seaguar. You could just cut some strings for me and send them on John. Wow, you really are the "opinionator" with that kind of moxie.

I love my Mainland tenor! It feels just right in my hands and sounds so sweet. Mike did an outstanding job on the set up and I left him a thank you message. Its just a slight hand adjustment from my concert but nothing major. I can't wait to show it off tomorrow. Also got my Jake concert tickets in the mail today; life is sweet.

Top Bottom