So Many Choices, Need Help.

Kyle23

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my first soprano. My first pick was an Oscar Schmidt spalted mango, but I've heard from numerous people that as good as they look, the sound is not as good as you'd expect. So I'm looking for a cheaper one. I've already picked out a few, but I can't decide on which.

1) Kala KA-SLNG soprano longneck. I love the sound of it, and I love the gloss finish. I just don't really like the fact that it's a longneck. If they have a regular soprano with the gloss, I'd easily choose that, but I haven't seen any.

2) Luna Honu soprano. I already have a Luna and it's very nice. But I kind of want to test out the waters on other companies ukes.

3) Cordoba 15SM soprano - I love the design and binding on it. I also like the sound. If it was a gloss finish, I would pick this one easily. But it's a matte finish.

4) Gretsch G9100 soprano - I love the classic look of it, which is why I can accept the fact that it doesn't have a gloss finish. I also like how the tuners are on the back. Only thing I dislike is the dark color.

Those are about it. I honestly can't decide and it's killing me. Does anyone have any input?

Any reasoning behind those choices or are you just narrowing it down by my descriptions of them?

Any reasoning behind those choices or are you just narrowing it down by my descriptions of them?
I'm partial to Cordobas, they get nice write ups. Whilst the Lunas because they look good and are nicely put together.

Have you also considered a Lanikai? The LU-21P is another favourite of mine, beautiful sustain, comfy neck - even for someone with big hands...

Last edited:
Is it the LU21? And I was looking at that one before, but I preferred these ones a little more. Soooooo many choices :(

Honestly I'm starting to lean towards the Gretsch.

Is it the LU21? And I was looking at that one before, but I preferred these ones a little more. Soooooo many choices :(

Honestly I'm starting to lean towards the Gretsch.
It's the pineapple one - sounds incredible for the money. Honestly, in that price bracket there's not a lot to separate them. Go for what you like, plus a good setup.

I have experience with all the brands.

Here is my ranking of them in order of preference:

1. Gretsch. By far the best choice.
I'm sorry, you might as well just not read the rest of the list. Gretsch beats them all in quality, finish, tone and bang for the buck.
Gretsch is making a comeback to ukulele building, and I feel that their ukes are priced a lot cheaper than is competition in the market.

That is all.
I changed my mind about listing the others - there's no point.

And sorry to disagree, but I put Cordobas and Lanikai at the bottom of the list, if I had one.
Without a decent setup, you're walking through a minefield of quality control. Actually the exact same can be said about Kala and Luna, to a lesser extent.

Gretsch - grab them while the company hasn't realised that they have them underpriced!

Last edited:
As a prior Cordoba owner, had absolutely no quality control issues whatsoever. Setup was great, finish was great, sound was very good. needed a bone saddle though.

What's your price range? I'd like to throw the Ohana SK-20S into the mix. Solid mahogany top and laminate mahogany sides

There is no "wrong" choice. Any of these will be fine.

My uke instructor received a Gretsch soprano for his birthday, and he loves it. It looks terrific (I think) and sounds great (hah hah, it probably wouldn't sound so great if I tried it). It needed some setup work when he got it, but he knows how to do that, so everything was okay.

The honu Luna was my first uke and I really enjoyed it. I have no experience with the others. Right now my go to uke is my Ohana Concert.

I'd be getting the Oscar Schmidt. (sorry)

If you have $200, I recommend this Mele solid mahogany with a solid Koa top, shipped. A little retro looking, I think it's gorgeous and you'd be hard pressed to find anything near this price as nice.....I said hard pressed, not impossible.
THIS IS NOT MY EBAY LISTING AND I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. NEW POST

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130842440746?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

That's a great looking uke, I wish I had $200 for it. I can only spend about $100 so I think I'm going with the Gretsch.

Top Bottom