Feedback on Concert Kanile'a

Rachaelm2207

Reaction score
Hi, I am considering purchasing a concert Kanile'a ukulele and invite any of you to give me feedback on these ukes.

Thanks for your time
Rachael

+1 for Kanile'a concerts. I have a K-1, the first really nice and high quality I ever bought. Luscious tone, easy player, beautiful looks. I have not played a Kanile'a model I didn't find excellent. Listen to lots of audio samples: I think you'll agree. :D

When people say "I am going to get a K brand uke" Kanile'a is one of those for a reason. I love my K-1 8-string.
They have a great sound. very confident and full

Love the Kanile'a ukuleles, I have a 6 string and it is amazing!! Heck, Aldrine plays Kanile'a so they must be good!!

I bought a Kanilea Concert that had severe intonation problems. Great instrument in every other way. Sound was good, played very well, looked stunning. When I returned it, Kanilea (who I think should have never let this instrument out the door) and the dealer (who claims they set up and inspect every instrument, and if so should have never shipped it) both agreed that the instrument was seriously flawed. They worked hard and long with me to get one that was acceptable. I was impressed with them much more than I am with even the replacement instrument. The current one is a Kuuipo Concert. Looks wonderful, sounds good, plays well. A vast improvement, but the intonation is not as good as my other performance instrument. I have been spoiled by Koaloha and Mya Moe.

Does Kanilea concentrate on the tenors everyone is buying to the detriment of us concert players? Maybe. Perhaps most builders do.

If possible, I recommend strongly that you play the one you want before you buy it.

I love my Kanile'a Super Concert (tenor neck on concert body). If you can play a few in person, I would encourage you to do so. I got to compare maybe six different Kanile'a in different sizes, and the super concert sounded the best to me. Each instrument will have it's own subtle character, even ones that are the same model.

–Lori

Owned a Kanilea concert for a short while. Even my wife, who doesn't play, could hear a major improvement in tone and projection when I played my Pono concert, put it down, and immediately played the Kanilea. A real WOW moment. I hope to own another in the not too distant future....a must have for me.

I love Kanile'a ukes bith looks and sound.....saving up money to get a Kanile'a concert!!

I have a Kanilea Concert K-1 premium Koa. Purchased it from Kanilea. Called them in September, told them what i wanted. And by early November it arrived. I also own a custom Compass Rose, two Kamaka's, Mele, a Fluke, Pono, Kala, and Peanut. The Kanilea is by far, leaps and bounds, better sound quality that any of the other ukulele that i own. The Kanilea has amazing sound. When you play you say "Wow". A big part of the Wow factor, is i use Orcas strings. I keep trying other strings, but the Orcas and the Kanilea are just a perfect match. In my intermediate ukulele class, people are amazed at the sound quality. Plus it is trully amazingly beautiful to look at. I would not hesitate buying another Kanilea.

Love my Kanile'a Premium K-1 Concert. I Bought it from Kanile'a when I visited last year. Even though I mainly play my tenors I wanted to have a nice concert. Great sound quality and intonation. Perfect action. Perfect glossy finish. One of the best looking ukes I have in my collection. I also have a Kanile'a Super Concert which is my second most played uke. Sounds great with PhD strings. You can't go wrong buying a Kanile'a.

kanilea_concert_2.jpg

thanks for the feedback

I have a Kanilea Concert K-1 premium Koa. Purchased it from Kanilea. Called them in September, told them what i wanted. And by early November it arrived. I also own a custom Compass Rose, two Kamaka's, Mele, a Fluke, Pono, Kala, and Peanut. The Kanilea is by far, leaps and bounds, better sound quality that any of the other ukulele that i own. The Kanilea has amazing sound. When you play you say "Wow". A big part of the Wow factor, is i use Orcas strings. I keep trying other strings, but the Orcas and the Kanilea are just a perfect match. In my intermediate ukulele class, people are amazed at the sound quality. Plus it is trully amazingly beautiful to look at. I would not hesitate buying another Kanilea.

Thanks for your feedback, interesting one about the strings which I would not have considered as they come with Aquila, but I will keep your comments in my memory bank once I save enough to buy one of these.

Rachael

thanks heaps for your response. Interesting that you were confident enough to just order one, not having played it first, which I will be in that position as there are no Uke stores in my area (Australia) that have one to try. Going by everyone's comments, videos etc I really think I have my heart set on one. No just need to save up!

Kanilea Concert K1 C DLX

I bought a Kanilea concert from MGM at Hawaii Music Supply in August last year as they're hard to come by here in Australia. I spent months researching and emailed Mike who was a terrific help. I must have driven him crazy with emails and phone calls and he was great - even emailing me photos from his phone on the shop floor.

The instrument is a knockout - visually and acoustically - and I get the same thrill every time I pick it up as I did the first time I saw it. I'm not a big Aquila fan and tried various strings - D'addario, Worth Clears, Koolau - before settling on Living Water for a beautiful mellow sound and Orcas for a brighter one. I'd bought 5 ukes here and couldn't find the sound I was looking for and this is it.

Two small complaints - the mother of pearl fret markers are difficult to see when looking from a playing position and the C string is a little dull when fretted. Neither of these take away from the fact that this is a beautiful instrument and I love it. It makes the others look and sound like toys.

I'm on the Sunshine Coast so if you're nearby you're welcome to try it.

Attachments

• 13450796851921.jpg
    13450796851921.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 2012-08-15_14-33-52_628.jpg
    2012-08-15_14-33-52_628.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 25
I bought a Kanilea concert from MGM at Hawaii Music Supply in August last year as they're hard to come by here in Australia. I spent months researching and emailed Mike who was a terrific help. I must have driven him crazy with emails and phone calls and he was great - even emailing me photos from his phone on the shop floor.

The instrument is a knockout - visually and acoustically - and I get the same thrill every time I pick it up as I did the first time I saw it. I'm not a big Aquila fan and tried various strings - D'addario, Worth Clears, Koolau - before settling on Living Water for a beautiful mellow sound and Orcas for a brighter one. I'd bought 5 ukes here and couldn't find the sound I was looking for and this is it.

Two small complaints - the mother of pearl fret markers are difficult to see when looking from a playing position and the C string is a little dull when fretted. Neither of these take away from the fact that this is a beautiful instrument and I love it. It makes the others look and sound like toys.

I'm on the Sunshine Coast so if you're nearby you're welcome to try it.

Hi, thank you for your comments on your Kanilea concert, looks gorgeous by the way! I am obviously in the same boat as you were with not being able to try before you buy as there are only two music shops in Aus that stocks them, so I will probably have to do as you did and order online. I am feeling pretty confident that I should be ok doing it this way, though not ideal. Wow thanks for the offer of trying yours out, if it had of been about a month earlier I might have taken you up on that as I was traveling through there, Nice area too!

I will also keep the Hawaii Music Shop in mind as it appears you had a good experience with them.
Cheers and thanks again
Rachael

My Kanile'a Concert was the ONLY K brand I was able to try before buying; bought it at Bernunzio' in Rochester NY. Got the rest from other reputable dealers and have not been disappointed. My KoAlohas were both from MGM and are both wonderful ukes. Both sound great and are look great too. the soprano has some sapwood accents and the concert has a curly koa top with a unique grain pattern.

My Kanile'a Concert was the ONLY K brand I was able to try before buying; bought it at Bernunzio' in Rochester NY. Got the rest from other reputable dealers and have not been disappointed. My KoAlohas were both from MGM and are both wonderful ukes. Both sound great and are look great too. the soprano has some sapwood accents and the concert has a curly koa top with a unique grain pattern.

Hi, thanks for your feedback, looks like you have yourself a nice collection :D

Top Bottom