Tommy Emmanuel - only ONE show in SoCal! Feb 7, Redondo Beach

mitchchang

Reaction score
The Los Angeles Guitar Festival presents TOMMY EMMANUEL
February 7, 2013 7:30pm at the Redondo Beach Performing Arts Center

Plus special guest openers: GRAMMY winning guitarists Mark Hanson & Doug Smith!

This will be Tommy's only appearance in Southern California, hope y'all can make it! Visit www.LAGuitarFestival.com for info/tickets or call 800-595-4849 24/7

Two-time Grammy nominee Tommy Emmanuel is one of Australia’s - and the world’s - most respected musicians. The legendary guitarist has a professional career that spans five decades and continues to intersect with some of the finest musicians throughout the world. A household name in his native Australia, Tommy has garnered hundreds of thousands of loyal fans worldwide. Tommy’s unique style – he calls it simply “finger style” – is akin to playing guitar the way a pianist plays piano, using all ten fingers. Rather than using a whole band for melody, rhythm, bass, and drum parts, Tommy plays all that – and more – on one guitar. Guitar legend Chet Atkins was one of the first to inspire Emmanuel to try this “fingerpicker” style as a child. Decades later, Atkins himself became one of Emmanuel’s biggest fans.

How was the concert? Tommy is my hero. I was almost going to buy a Maton guitar, which is the guitar line he plays on but I found out about Cole Clark and was sold. Especially since they're making a bunch of lefties for a friend of mine who runs a lefty guitar shop. Please tell us about the concert. I can never get enough of Tommy.

Tommy is not only one of my favorite musicians/artists/performers of all time, he is one of my favorite people, period. It was a great show which was over all soon. Here's a bootleg video someone took, that's me coming off stage before Tommy (I played one tune). http://youtu.be/zcLGat5bOWI

Jeff Lynne (ELO), Eric Idle (Monty Python), Jim West (Weird Al) and others showed up for the show, here are some pics: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151469064525941.534818.318374180940&type=1

Mitch, I am totally and completely envious. I almost bought the same brand of acoustic guitar that Tommy plays until a friend of mine told me that Maton has never been into selling their guitars to North Americans. I think that's changing because I contacted them and asked about lefties and they were very nice and even told me how to order. However, the same friend, who owns a lefty guitar shop, told me about Cole Clark and, when he told me he had just ordered the first batch of lefties ever from CC I gave him a down payment to hold one for me. Sorry to have veered off subject.

Did I say how frigging envious I am? What an amazing event for you. Only thing that would have made it better is if Chet Atkins had appeared from the grave. :)

Hey Mitch, have you seen the video of Jake playing uke with Tommy? That's an awesome video!

Top Bottom