Season 51 - I Can't Help But Wonder Where I'm Bound

Nope, not off the table! I encourage EVERYONE to do ANY of Tom's songs - as many times as they want to!

I'll be doing a version of the previously mentioned "Short Shelf Life" song form 2000 & 2004 later, and I encourage EVERYONE to submit their own version - which I will attempt to put together into a single video, if I can figure out how to download from YT - either tha or have people just send me the .MOV version, and I'll assemble it from there.

-Kurt​

Thanks very much, Kurt! Cat'r had not heard of Tom Paxton, so he's gotta practice the chorus a little. :)

I have another Tom Paxton song I already did a video of in August 2010 (but re-uploaded to my covers channel in Feb. 2012--I freak out about possible copyright troubles)--can that be a bonus? Or do you just want to see it for the heck of it?

CountryMouse

I once asked Tom about doing some of his songs, and he told me to go ahead and do so.

I've also got a message off to a mutual friend, asking if I should forward the playlist to Tom. I'm awaiting the response.

Thanks very much, Kurt! Cat'r had not heard of Tom Paxton, so he's gotta practice the chorus a little. :)

I have another Tom Paxton song I already did a video of in August 2010 (but re-uploaded to my covers channel in Feb. 2012--I freak out about possible copyright troubles)--can that be a bonus? Or do you just want to see it for the heck of it?

CountryMouse

And sure, do the bonus! The more, the merrier!

-Kurt

I once asked Tom about doing some of his songs, and he told me to go ahead and do so.

I've also got a message off to a mutual friend, asking if I should forward the playlist to Tom. I'm awaiting the response.
by Tom, you mean Tom Paxton......wow - that's truly awesome....

BTW, did you know someone built a log cabin in your bedroom?

My house is like a preschool and always a mess!! I have 8 different paint colors and I'm not even counting the 2 difft bathroom colors. Gonna have to spend a lot of money repainting everything if I ever sell the house. LOL

Last edited:
The Willing Conscript

Thanks for a great theme, Kurt. Tom Paxton is a national treasure.

There used to be something in this country called conscription.
My generation got that ended.

Now our kids don't even know what it means, but because some nuts blew up the Trade Center and there are no jobs in this economy, they go cheerfully marching off to boot camp.
The more things change the more they stay the same.

Great job, Geoff! I'd forgotten this song!

Thanks. It usually goes well when I sing it in a singaround.

And funny, as I was putting together the prizes, I kind of figured that you would have both of the books already. (g)

-Kurt​

Yes I've had 'Ramblin' Boy and other songs' a good many years now. I got 'The Honor of Your Company' at a concert here more recengly and got it signed at the same time. The man in front of me, who was having a CD signed, asked Tom about using his songs with his kids (obviously a schoolteacher). Tom's answer answer was - as near as I can remember - 'Of course, my songs are meant to be sung'. That's his attitude. A very approachable man.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this is the first Seasons song I've made with the soprano uke...

You mentioned it previously. Not to delve into politics, but it's fitting tune for right now as guns & laws are being discussed & debated in Washington...

With my usual lil' mess ups here & there:

Now for my entry - The song that gives the week its title.

One of my favourites probably because I had a somewhat nomadic childhood so I feel I relate to it. Also it usually goes well when I sing it out. Great chorus for joining in.

A sort of bonus -- Ramblin' Boy + lengthy explanation

And sure, do the bonus! The more, the merrier!

-Kurt

About a year ago I used YouTube's editing on several of my videos. Big mistake--I suddenly came to their attention and I got notices that several of my songs had copyright claims on them. So I decided to take everything with a copyright date post-1922 and move it to a secondary channel. If anything bad happened, I wouldn't lose *everything*. As I was uploading those songs to the new (covers) channel, several got immediate copyright claims against them; so to avoid problems, I took them down.

So unless I have specific permission from a songwriter (and their publisher), I don't put it on my main channel. I am safe with Amanda Palmer's post-Dresden Dolls songs (I even wrote to her to get permission for "The Ukulele Anthem" and "Lost") and safe with Jonathan Coulton's Creative Commons songs. Also I put covers of songs from YouTube and UU friends on my main channel, since I can get permission from them also.

But since I don't have permission directly from Tom Paxton and his publisher (and can prove it to YouTube), anything I do by him is going on my secondary (covers) channel. It's not the songwriter--it's the publisher. THEY are the ones that come after YouTube, who in turn come after the performer.

Anyway, here is my cover of "Ramblin' Boy". I see I didn't give Tom credit anywhere; but I'm pretty sure that if I edit anything on that song right now, YouTube will see it and come after me. See my song "Art Must Be Free" on my main channel about my feelings about this.

CountryMouse

About a year ago I used YouTube's editing on several of my videos. Big mistake--I suddenly came to their attention and I got notices that several of my songs had copyright claims on them. So I decided to take everything with a copyright date post-1922 and move it to a secondary channel. If anything bad happened, I wouldn't lose *everything*. As I was uploading those songs to the new (covers) channel, several got immediate copyright claims against them; so to avoid problems, I took them down.

So unless I have specific permission from a songwriter (and their publisher), I don't put it on my main channel. I am safe with Amanda Palmer's post-Dresden Dolls songs (I even wrote to her to get permission for "The Ukulele Anthem" and "Lost") and safe with Jonathan Coulton's Creative Commons songs. Also I put covers of songs from YouTube and UU friends on my main channel, since I can get permission from them also.

But since I don't have permission directly from Tom Paxton and his publisher (and can prove it to YouTube), anything I do by him is going on my secondary (covers) channel. It's not the songwriter--it's the publisher. THEY are the ones that come after YouTube, who in turn come after the performer.

Anyway, here is my cover of "Ramblin' Boy". I see I didn't give Tom credit anywhere; but I'm pretty sure that if I edit anything on that song right now, YouTube will see it and come after me. See my song "Art Must Be Free" on my main channel about my feelings about this.

CountryMouse
Well - all I can say is, that was really beautiful, vocally and instrumentally - I was looking forward to someone doing that one, and rather hoping it would be one of the ladies! You've made my day!

Now our kids don't even know what it means, but because some nuts blew up the Trade Center and there are no jobs in this economy, they go cheerfully marching off to boot camp.
What a great song! No-one writes a peace song like TP......and you nailed it - excellent! I know a lot of these songs, but not that one - thanks for doing it!

I'm pretty sure this is the first Seasons song I've made with the soprano uke...

You mentioned it previously. Not to delve into politics, but it's fitting tune for right now as guns & laws are being discussed & debated in Washington...

I make those mess-ups too! I think the more you do this, the less they get, though! Anyway - absolutely ACE! Loved it - a long time since I've heard that one - old friends returning!

My Ramblin Boy, week 51, Ukulele Underground strumsilly

Well - all I can say is, that was really beautiful, vocally and instrumentally - I was looking forward to someone doing that one, and rather hoping it would be one of the ladies! You've made my day!
I've been out of town, and when I saw this weeks challenge, I thought of this song, then after I started posting it, I saw it had already been done. oh well, here it is anyway, I should have worn a cute hat.

I've been out of town, and when I saw this weeks challenge, I thought of this song, then after I started posting it, I saw it had already been done. oh well, here it is anyway, I should have worn a cute hat.

Great job! Somehow it reminds me of Woodie Guthrie (a Good Thing!) Mine is only a bonus anyway, so no problems. :)

CountryMouse

I had never heard of Tom Paxton before yesterday, so I also did not know about this song, but I do like it. I't called Hold on to me Babe.
Great Job, Wim! Are you sure you'd never heard of Tom before yesterday? Or did you just listen to a lot of songs in a hurray, and pick the one that spoke to you best?

Yes he is, and while we've only met a couple of times, we have several mutual Friends - check out Anne Hills' Paxton Tribute Albnum "The Things I Notice Now" for some more interpretations of Tom's music.

Thanks. It usually goes well when I sing it in a singaround.

Yes I've had 'Ramblin' Boy and other songs' a good many years now. I got 'The Honor of Your Company' at a concert here more recengly and got it signed at the same time. The man in front of me, who was having a CD signed, asked Tom about using his songs with his kids (obviously a schoolteacher). Tom's answer answer was - as near as I can remember - 'Of course, my songs are meant to be sung'. That's his attitude. A very approachable man.

The only time Tom gave me a negative was when I wanted to use the chorus for "The Honor Of Your Company" for the memorial page of the 1995 World Science Fiction Convention in Scotland (Intersection). There were some problems with the copyright at the time, and so we couldn't - but he selt me a postcard with his apology, and said to try it again in 5 years - the problems should be fixed. (Too bad I've stopped going to WorldCons...)

Politics? In a Tom Paxton Thread? perish the thought! We don't use sarcasm, either!

Now for my entry - The song that gives the week its title.

One of my favourites probably because I had a somewhat nomadic childhood so I feel I relate to it. Also it usually goes well when I sing it out. Great chorus for joining in.

Great take, Geoff! No matter how many times I hear this, or how many different people do it, they all add something of themselves to the song. (One of the reasons I used it as the thread title).

And I can't believe it only "usually" goes well when you sing it out. You've probably got them all singing along, every time!

CountryMouse

Great job on the video! When are you doing another one? (g)

The best part about Tom is that his publisher is PAX music - meaning Tom Paxton. While the rights are administered through Cherry Lane Music, now owned by
BMG, BMG has never responded to any of my requests for information on YouTube performance permission. Based on my conversations with Tom, unless and until BMG responds negatively, Tom's verbal permission is all that is needed.

I will be seeing him in concert in about 3 months, and will specifically ask him about YouTube performance rights then, unless the mutual friend I've contacted gets other information first.

It matters not that it has already been posted. If all I got was 43 versions of "The Marvelous Toy", I'd still consider this week a success! And you did a great job!

Thank you very much! I'm glad you liked it. It was just a bonus though--still have to do my/our official entry! :)

CountryMouse

Top Bottom