Buying first uke

austinsou

Reaction score
Yep, another one of those threads...
Well, my birthdays coming up and I want to learn how to play the uke, I'm really determined on this so I believe I chose some decent ukes and I didn't go overboard on the prices. I've narrowed down my choices to three of them, The Islander MSC-4, Pono AC, and the KoAlana Concert. I'll be ordering from HMS, and judging from the vids, I like the sound of all of them, in different ways. What would you get?

Any one of those, purchased from HMS, should serve you very well. There have been some issues with a seam opening up on the first batch KoAlanas but HMS has been standing behind them 100% and delivery on the current ones was taken long enough ago now that most of the problem ones have probably been found and dealt with. Given that HMS is standing behind them I would probably go with the KoAlana simply because I would want a mahogany concert because I have enough Koa / Acacia / Mango ukes. Otherwise, I'd probably go with the Pono.

Whichever one you choose, make sure to get (and use) a case and a good humidifier especially if you are in a location where your indoor humidity is low.

John

Thanks for your feedback! The KoAlana is actually Sapele, not Mahogany. But now I'm stuck on the KoAlana or the Pono. I wish more people would reply! :anyone:

I would go for the KoAlana Concert. They have been calling my name for a while.

I have a Pono MCD-E and I love it. Light, loud, resonant, with great projection. Lots of uke for the money. Have Ko'olau Alohi reentrants on it and is well balanced between high's, mids, and lows.

I also like the Islander solid mahogany model as well as their laminated rosewood bodied, solid spruce topped model ...a great uke for $249

I really love how both of them sound in different ways. I think I'm going with the KoAlana... I'll get the Pono if I ever want a Soprano. Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
Top Bottom